Genealogy Buff - A Free Genealogy Research Site

GenealogyBuff.com - making genealogy simpler; a free genealogy surname research tool that reaches for data from all over.
A KICKSTART IN YOUR GENEALOGY RESEARCH.
FIND TONS OF DATA ABOUT YOUR SURNAME.

From Archives.com:
Death Records - Cemetery Records - Obituary Records - Marriage Records - Birth Records - Divorce Records - Vital Records

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Finding Lost People Message Forum

Disappearing Ancestors - Tonawanda Settlement, Erie County, NY - early 1850s

Posted By: JP (cpe-74-77-70-12.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: Saturday, 12 February 2011, at 2:59 p.m.

I'm trying to figure out what happened to two of my ancestors - Christian Marthia and his wife, Caroline Mertz.

They were born in 1816 in the Alsasce Lorraine area of France. The last name was originally Mathia. They came to the NY from Le Havre in 1846 with three daughters (Caroline, Catherine, and Marguerite). In the 1850 census, they are living in Tonawanda Settlement with four children: Caroline, Catherine, Christian (b. 1848), and Philip (b. 1850). Then in the 1854 census, the last name for the children is magically Marthia and each of the children is living with a different family - three in Tonawanda and one in Amherst. The parents are not in the census. I'm trying to figure out if one or both of them had died or if something else had happened (maybe alien abduction? - ha ha) to cause the children to be placed with different families. I do not know what happens to the daughter, Caroline. Catherine ends up marrying Peter Jacke/Yockey and stays in Tonawanda. Christian marries Mary Fix and ends up in Buffalo. Philip marries a woman named Sophia and ends up in Buffalo.

Before we eneded up with the Marthia spelling, the last name was generally one of the following - Mathia, Mathias, Matthia, Matthias.

Thank you!

Messages In This Thread

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Finding Lost People Message Forum is maintained by GenealogyBuff with WebBBS 5.12.

From GenealogyArchives.com:

Death Records

Cemetery Records

Obituary Records

Marriage Records

Birth Records

Divorce Records

Vital Records

United States Newspaper Directory

Counties of the United States

Cities of the United States

1880USCensus.com - MortalitySchedules.com - SSDI-Search.com - Surname Search Utility - GenLookups.com - Marriage Search Engines
Return to Main Page