Genealogy Buff - Canada Obituaries Collection - making genealogy simpler; a free genealogy surname research tool that reaches for data from all over.
Canadian Obituaries Forum
Share and search for your Canadian obituaries for genealogy research!
The search engine for this forum is optimized for SURNAME research primarily.

- See also's Canadian Obituary Archive

First Name:
Last Name:

See also our sister site:

ALSO...Search for your names in these Ontario, Canada Genealogy Websites:

First Name:
Last Name:

Search for your names in these Canadian Marriages:

First Name:
Last Name:

Search fulltext Canadian Genealogy Discussion Groups:

First Name: (first name optional)
Last Name:   UPDATED!!!

        Now filtering Canadian provinces!

Canada (all) - Alberta - British Columbia - Manitoba - New Brunswick - Newfoundland - Northwest Territory - Nova Scotia - Nunavut - Ontario - Prince Edward Island - Quebec - Saskatchewan - Yukon Territory

OBITUARY COLLECTIONS: Alberta | British Columbia | Manitoba | New Brunswick | Newfoundland | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec | Saskatchewan

Search the massive Canada Marriages Database

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BRITISH COLUMBIA - Miscellaneous Obits B's

Posted By: GenealogyBuff
Date: Sunday, 16 March 2008, at 2:25 p.m.

John 'Red' William Backer
1928 - 1999
John William Backer, better known as Red Backer, resident of Farmington, B.C., passed away on Dec. 9, 1999 in Farmington at the age of 71.
Red was born on October 24, 1928 in McMahon, Saskatchewan, to parents Jacob and Lena Backer. He was the fourth of 13 children; Henry, Genevieve, Mary, John, Harvey, Doris, James, Eleanor, Shirley, Evelyn, Fred, and two children who died in infancy.
Red attended school in Rush Lake, Saskatchewan and Spirit River, Alberta. He left home at the age of 13 to begin work as a help to his family. He worked in Fort Nelson as a truck driver, grader operator, cat skinner, grade all operator. He worked in Salmon Arm as a logging truck operator, in Campbell River, Westernmines as an ore truck driver, (he operated pretty much anything with wheels and a motor!)
He came back to the Peace River Area in 1979 and worked in the oil patch, he worked in Tumbler Ridge as an equipment operator until his retirement in October of 1993.
Red was always to the point on matters. He enjoyed helping anyone who needed help, but did not want the praise that went with it. The song 'The Box' by Randy Travis describes him well. Some of Red's favourite pastimes were watching wrestling on TV, dancing, and having family around him. In his retirement, he loved to rebuild old tractors and plant enough garden to feed the neighbourhood.
His most recent enjoyments were family gatherings; his 45th anniversary in July, Uncle Henry's birthday in September, and Freddie and Sandra's 25th anniversary.
Red wasn't very emotional towards people, but you knew he loved you!
He was predeceased by his parents Jacob and Lena Backer, brothers Harvey and James Backer, and niece Leah Backer.
Red will be lovingly remembered by his wife Eleanore, children Daniel Backer, Eldon Backer, Sandra (Sid) Carnegie Linda (Klaus) Feldmann, and Dean Backer; grandchildren Martin Carnegie, Jonathan Feldmann, Anna Feldmann, Brittany Backer and Kailee Backer; as well as many other relatives and friends.
A memorial service was held at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 14, 1999 at the Tower Lake Community Hall, Tower Lake, B.C., with Reverend Tom Lavigne officiating. Red's cremated remains are to be interred in the Spirit River Cemetery, Spirit River, Alta.
Arrangements were entrusted to Bergeron Funeral Services & Crematorium Ltd., Dawson Creek, British Columbia.

James (Jim) Harold Bacon
1937 - 1999
James (Jim) Bacon passed away December 29, 1999 in Dawson Creek. He was born February 13, 1937 to Alma and Rae Bacon in the Pouce Coupe Hospital.
Dad lived in Doe River, Rolla and Dawson Creek. He never had any ideas of leaving the Peace Country. He took his schooling in Rolla and Dawson Creek. Quitting school at the young age of 16, he went to work at Western Supply and then he hit the oil rigs. There he worked from a rough neck to a driller, working in Sask, Alta, and Northern BC. One thing Dad was never afraid of, work.
In 1958 he married Atlin Kennedy, a gal he knew from his childhood days in Rolla. Together they had three children, Dorinda, Deanna, and Devon.
After getting married, Jim found rig life wasn't good for raising a family, so he went to work for Valley Block & Tile. Not challenging enough, he went to work truck driving for Van Genne Trucking. In 1961 he went to work for Sid Cooper at Zero Esso as a mechanic. He learned by doing the job and not by the book. Having several thousand hours in, he was able to write his ticket and was a certified mechanic. Soon he became a partner with Sid Cooper and later with Lorne Ireland who bought the business. They decided they needed more work, so they got a frame straightening machine, set it up at Lorne's farm and in the evenings they would work there.
Dad was a hard worker and loved mechanic work. To this day he has tool boxes full and didn't like the metric system at all. He did every job to the best of his ability. He was hard to satisfy and whenever we were on holidays he always pumped his own gas, checked his oil, and washed his own windows, mainly because they could not do it right. Us kids can relate to that, as we all worked for Dad and if you didn't do a good job, you soon were told.
Dad loved old cars, starting at age 16 with a 1946 Dodge, then a 47 Chev, 51 Ford pickup, 57 Merc, 57 and 58 Ford, just to name a few, but his last car was his baby, a 1968 Meteor La Moyne. Candy apple red with a white top. It was washed every second day, whether it needed it or not. We still have this car, which always got to be in the garage. Dad was a true Ford man.
Dad also loved four-wheeling, snowmobiling, hunting, camping, fishing and outdoor life. He loved being in the bush. He often said he'd love to live in a cabin out in the bush. Many moose and deer filled our freezer from Puggins Mountain, Dunlevy, Stewart Lake, and Gary Moore's. Fishing at the Sukunka was a favourite spot of his. He started Devon at a young age and taught him the safety of firearms. He loved his rifles and they all will remain in the family.
Dad enjoyed reading Louis L'Amour and watching John Wayne and Clint Eastwood dusters. Since being sick he has read hundreds of these books.
Dad was not one to be involved in clubs, but one he gave his heart to was the Mile Zero Stock Car Club in the 60's. He spent many hours working on cars and the track. His hero car was Car 65. He was very dedicated. One weekend Mom remembers they raced Saturday, blew the motor and at midnight he decided to tear that motor down, get parts and have it ready to race on Sunday by noon. He did just that and they won the race and took top points for the weekend.
Dad's last job was at City Chevron in 1989. In February 1989 at the young age of 52 he was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. After having surgery in Edmonton, Dad and Mom stayed there for three months of radiation. He was never able to return to work full time, although whenever his son-in-law John needed any small equipment worked on at Hegge Construction, Dad was willing to do what he could and it made him feel useful again.
In August 1993 the tumor returned and once again surgery, which was much harder on him than the first time. Following this was six months of chemotherapy. Dad went through terrible times with this, but he kept fighting and was unable to do much afterwards.
He loved his garden and was proud of it. Even this past summer he downsized a bit and with Glenn MacLean's help, we had his fresh spuds, radishes, and onions.
Dad was very proud of his family and many times remarked to Mom he was so glad the kids all had good professions and weren't afraid to work. His philosophy was you don't get anything for nothing; if you want something you work for it.
He was very proud of his six grandchildren, three boys and three girls. The first one, Cody, being born on his birthday, Feb. 13. They always shared birthday cakes.
With Cody and Chad being the oldest he loved to wrestle with them and tease, like he did when his own were little. After he became sick he was not able to rough it up, but enjoyed having them all outside around him, giving them jobs to do, planting spuds and showing them his tools and what they were for, but they had better bring them in when they were done playing. One thing all the grandchildren always enjoyed was piling onto the four-wheeler with Grandpa and going up and down the alley for hours. He would have enjoyed hunting, camping, and fishing with them, but due to his health he just couldn't do it.
During the last few years he went to Lorne Ireland's shop, John and Olaf's office for coffee and to shoot the bull or just visiting with Glenn MacLean in the shop.
In August 1998 Dad had his driver's license revoked due to health reasons. He didn't like this, but took it in stride, hoping some day Christina would get it back for him.
His health continued to deteriorate and in April 1999 a malignant tumor was found in his lung. Not being in good health, surgery was not an option. Dad was tired of being sick, so he decided he didn't want anymore chemo. Mom looked after Dad at home until Dec. 14, before he went to the hospital with hopes to return home. He was failing daily, so that was not to be. After a lengthy battle, Dad passed away on Wednesday, Dec. 29 at 1 a.m.
He leaves to mourn his wife Atlin and family Dorinda and John, Deanna and Darryl, Devon and Christina, six grandchildren Cody and Chad, Jay and Hannah, Richelle and Paige, brother Leonard and Phyllis, brother-in-law, Ken and Justine Kennedy, and sister-in-laws Linda LaFleur and Phyllis and Jim Williams and many nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, and cousins.
He was predeceased by his dad Rae in 1986, his mom Alma in 1998, and his mother-in-law, Minnie in 1996.
Jim will be sadly missed by his family, many friends, and neighbours. The family would like to thank Lorne Ireland, Glenn MacLean and Allan Smashnuk for their everlasting friendships.
We, Dorinda, Deanna and Devon would like to thank you Mom for all the years of caring for Dad - it made a difference through a very difficult time.
We love you Dad, we will miss you and happy hunting.

Dennis Vivian Barnard
Dennis Vivian Barnard, loving and beloved dad and granddad, died March 16, 2000 in Victoria at 79 years of age.
Born in London, England, Dennis and Vi immigrated to Canada in 1958.
They lived in Vancouver where Den worked at the Windsor Packing Company until his retirement.
Predeceased by his wife Violet in 1983, Den was a kind and devoted granddad, moving from Vancouver in 1992 to be with his family in Dawson Creek, B.C. and then with them in Victoria in 1998.
He was generous and unwavering in his support of his family and was very close to his daughter and grandchildren whom he adored.
He is survived by his daughter Kelly, son-in-law Peter, grandchildren Claire and Andrew, sisters Beryl, Elsie and family in England.
No service by request. Donations in lieu of flowers to the Dawson Creek Public Library, 1001 McKellar Ave., Dawson Creek, B.C., V1G 4W7.

Frank Eugene Bascombe
1924 - 2001
Frank Bascombe of Alix, Alberta, formerly of Dawson Creek, passed away at the Lacombe hospital Jan. 4, 2001.
Frank was born at Penhold, Alberta, Jan. 23, 1924.
He was predeceased by his parents; John and Pearl; two brothers, Ray and Bill; two sisters, Gladys Nadelko and Lilliam Schickler; his half-brother, Harold and his first wife Ruby.
He is survived by his loving wife Louise; one brother, Alfred (Jean) of Alix, Alta.; six sisters, Doris Crawford of Prince George, B.C., Pauline McDonald of Alix, Alta., Ethel Haight of Revelstoke, B.C., Annie Koe of Leduc Alta., Violet Forsyth of Picture Butte, Alta. and Betty Pearson (Dave) of Prince George, B.C. and their families; also seven step children; David Drake (Mickey) of Dawson Creek, Bev Fox (Ed) of Bow River, B.C., Linda Threlfall (Garry) of Kelowna, B.C., Randy Drake (Jan) of Airdrie, Alta., Alan Drake (Pam) of Coquitlam, B.C., Mike Drake (Becky) of Yellowknife, N.W.T., Mark Drake of Mara, B.C. and their families.
Frank was a painter by trade and painted may homes and public buildings in Alberta, B.C. and the Yukon.
A memorial service for the late Frank Bascombe was held in Alix at the Free Evangelical Church on Lake Street, Friday, Jan. 12, 2001. A family graveside service took place at the Red Deer Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Canadian Cancer Society.

Edward Bates
1935 - 2002
Edward Bates was born on July 1, 1935 at Englehart, Ontario. He passed away in Dawson Creek on January 2, 2002, at the age of 66 years. A funeral service was held on January 28, at 11 a.m. from Reynars Funeral Chapel Dawson Creek. Reverend David Roch officiated, interment followed in the Brookside Cemetery.
Ed grew up in a family of eleven. He moved to Dawson Creek with his wife and three daughters Cindy, Pam and Laurie in the early eighties. He was doing construction work around the North Country.
Ed and his wife separated and she moved back to Ontario taking his daughters with her -- they were his little darlings.
Ed remained in Dawson Creek until 1994 when he moved to Chetwynd and lived there for a few months. He then moved to the Sukunka Valley, and with the help of his friends they built a cabin, which Ed lived in and we visited many times. Ed was a very musical person and he played the dobro guitar. He was very good at it. He was very meticulous about his house. Everything had to be in its place. Ed was a real character and had a really good sense of humor and imagination. He had a way of telling stories and jokes that would make every one laugh.
He loved going on country drives and camping. One night when he was to be camp watchman, he fell asleep by the fire and before too long he was snoring and keeping every one awake. Ed was a sound sleeper, and some of the boys got up and dragged him far enough away from camp so we couldn't hear him snore, so that the rest of us could get some sleep. He got up in the morning and was wondering why he was so far away from the fire. Every one laughed and said, "what kind of a night watchman are you".
After about four years of living in the valley, Ed became ill with emphysema and started finding it harder to survive on his own. It was to hard for him to cut wood and do the work that needed to be done.
He needed to be closer to the doctors and hospital. He moved back to Chetwynd and lived in the Little Prairie Haven. Ed stayed there as long as his health would allow him, which was a year and a half and he enjoyed it very much. It was at this time that he was moved to the Peace River Haven. He really loved it there and said he never wanted to leave.
After being there just short of a year Ed became very ill. He was admitted into the Dawson Creek hospital and never recovered. On the same day just four hours after Ed passed away his brother, Bruno also passed away in Ontario. We'll always remember Old Ed, that was our name for him because of his beautiful white hair. May God bless and keep you safe Ed. Love all your friends.
Arrangements were under the care of Reynars Funeral Chapel and Crematorium Dawson Creek.

Wally Beaulieu
Wally Beaulieu a long time resident of Dawson Creek, B.C. passed away on June 9th, 2002 in Edmonton, Alberta. at the age of 54 years.
A funeral service was held on Friday, June 14th, 2002 at 2:00 PM from Grandview Chapel in Dawson Creek. Reverends David and Phyllis Roch officiated, interment followed in the Brookside Cemetery.
Wallace Howard Patrick Beaulieu was born on November 16th, 1947 in Peace River, Alberta.
He was the fourth son of seven children born to Edwin and Hazel Beaulieu. Wally had one sister
Arlene and five brothers Ernest, Clayton, Harold, Stan, and Garth. Wally was predeceased by his father Edwin, on September, 25th, 1991.
Wally moved around a little in his early years, and finally in 1969 he was to find his friend and companion and soon to be wife in Calgary, Alberta. Wally and Heather were married for 34 years.
Together they had their first son Darrin, in October of 1971 in Calgary. Before Darrin was a year old the family moved to Dawson Creek, B.C. Wally and his family lived in town for a number of years until they found there little 10 acre farm out in Arras.
In January 1981, they had an addition to their family, another son Carson. Together Wally and Heather raised their boys on the farm for about sixteen years before moving back into Dawson Creek to the home where they now reside.
As the boys grew up and moved out on their own, Wally and Heather made their home beautiful. Together they spent many hours on the yard transplanting trees and shrubs from the bush into the yard. The yard is full of homemade wood works that Wally liked to craft. Wally loved the outdoors hunting, camping, and together with Grandpa he handed down this love for the outdoors to his sons. Together as a family mom and grandchildren included, you would usually find them all out at their favorite hunting spot at mile 22. Along with the outdoors Wally also enjoyed sports which included, baseball, slow-pitch, softball and later in life, golf which he would eventually become a pretty darn good player. Some have said he was an excellent athlete, a fierce competitor and a spirited foe to reckon with.
Wally was a very proud and giving grandpa & papa to Wynter & Tamara Giroux,
Jessica Beaulieu, and Rachelle Sieben. He gave love to his grandchildren unconditionally, this can be attested by the many photos of them that he took great care to hang throughout the family home amongst all the many other photos and life experiences.
Wally also had a good sense of humour and could be a card, a comic, or a jokester at times, always providing a laugh when needed. This was witnessed many times by family and relatives and also through many stories heard through the words of past and currant friends.
Through thick and thin despite illnesses both Heather and Wally were dealing with they managed to stay happy and upbeat. Many times when not at work, due to their great love of the outdoors you could find just the two of them along with moms little lap dog out camping and hunting and doing what they loved best.
When Wally found out about his heart condition he waited anxiously for the phone call telling him to come for surgery. When he got that call though he remained strong for others to see, he was somewhat scared and worried. Wally and Heather made their way to Edmonton for that surgery. They both agreed before that neither one of them ever wanted to be hooked up to life support if there ever came a need for it.
Wally with his right hand held by his big brother Ernie and his left hand being held by his loving wife, his two boys and the rest of the family by his side, peacefully passed away.
So now Wally has joined his dad, who has been waiting for a hunting partner, sitting around the fire, waiting for the mornings first light, so they can hit the trail in search of that big bull moose which has been coming into the lick only they know about.
Arrangements were under the care of Reynars Funeral Chapel and Crematorium Dawson Creek, B.C.

Dolphus Belcourt 1914-2002
Dolphus Belcourt a long time resident of Chetwynd, B.C. passed away on January 12, 2002 at the age of 87 years a funeral service was held on Thursday, January 17, at 2 p.m. from Our Lady Of Peace Catholic Church in Chetwynd, B.C. Father Chris Lynch officiated. Interment followed in the Tuscoola Mountain Cemetery.
Dolphus was born on April 15, 1914. He was the second oldest child of Muggler and Clara Belcourt.
Dolphus grew up with three sisters, Helen, Virginia, Mary, and one brother, Clarence.
Being a hard worker was very important to Dolphus. At the age of fifteen he began trapping.
He took great pride in his work. Over the years Dolphus worked at various jobs. He cut posts with an axe, worked for the railroad, pipeline, B.C. Hydro and he also did some guiding. He loved the outdoors, even after retirement he still went trapping.
Dolphus met Virginia Letendre in Rio Grande and a year later they married. They went through the heartache of losing a daughter and a son at young ages. On February 2, 1939, Dolphus and Virginia had their daughter Lena. She remembers her father being a hard worker and a great provider. Lena remembers how he once walked from Stony Lake to Prince George marking trees along the way, also known as the Monkman Pass, so the road could be put through.
In 1960 Dolphus and Virginia moved to Chetwynd. This would be their home along with their daughter Lena and grandchildren. In the time Dolphus spent in Chetwynd and while working for B.C. Hydro he made many friends some of which were lifelong.
Some of his close friends who have special memories of Dolphus are, Tom Soloshy, Bill Cardinal, and many other elders in the community.
Although Dolphus loved each of his grandchildren and great grandchildren in his own special way he was very proud of Curtis and Rusty's accomplishments in hockey.
Dolphus and Virginia spent 54 years of married life together. But sadly in 1991 he had to let his beloved wife go. Dolphus was also predeceased by his sisters, Helen and Virginia, brother, Clarence, grandson, Donald, and son in law Edward.
For most of us who have known Dolphus all our lives it is hard for us to say goodbye, but we do it with love and a strong faith that we will meet again some day.
Arrangements were under the care of Reynars Funeral Chapel and Crematorium Dawson Creek.

William (Bill) Belcourt 1927-2002
Bill was born on June 18, 1927 at Grande Prairie, Alberta. He passed away on March 12, 2002 in the Beaverlodge Hospital at the age of 74 years. Bill was a resident of Hythe, Alberta and formerly he lived in Dawson Creek, B.C.
A wake was held on Wednesday March 20, at 7 p.m. from the Nawican Friendship Centre in Dawson Creek. A funeral mass was held on Thursday, March 21, at 2 p.m., from St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Beaverlodge, Alberta. Father Cloude Lemieux officiated. Family and friends gathered at St. Mary's social room for refreshments and fellowship following the interment service in the Gimle Cemetery.
Bill will be sadly missed by his loving wife, Eva, his children, Terry (Sherry), Clifford, Melvin (Roxanne), Ernest, DuWayne, Madeline, Marilyn, Cindy (John) and numerous grandchildren, great grandchildren, nieces and nephews.
Arrangements were under the care of Reynars Funeral Chapel and Crematorium Dawson Creek, B.C.

LaVerna Darlene Bennett
1925 - 2000
LaVerna Darlene Bennet, better known as Verna Bennett, passed away on July 31, 2000 in Kamloops, British Columbia, at 74 years of age. A memorial service was held at 11 a.m. on August 5, 2000 in the Bergeron Funeral Chapel, Dawson Creek, British Columbia, with Reverend Warren Brower officiating.
Verna was born on Oct. 6, 1925 in the very small town of Elinwood, Kansas to parents, Chancy and Mildred Churchill. Verna was used to the lifestyle associated with farming, having parents who farmed cattle and grain in Colorado. She graduated from Two Buttes High School in Colorado, and was the valedictorian of her class. Her skills in writing and talking were well developed even at that stage of her life.
She graduated from the Barnes Business College, in Denver, Colorado. She worked nights in a drug store while at college. One night, three young service men came in the store and Verna, ever to the point, asked one of them to walk her home - and so began her relationship with Tom Bennett. Tom and Verna were married April 4, 1945 in Tom's hometown of Potocella, Idaho. For the first 14 months, Tom served in Europe and then when he got home, they lived in Twin Butte, Colorado. Tom hauled grain and farmed, Verna worked as a legal secretary. Children soon came along; Max in 1947, Karma in 1950, and Debbie in 1953.
Later, while Tom was busy working as a steam engineer at the Fort Lion V.A. Hospital near Los Animas, Colorado, Verna, in addition to being a homemaker, spent her time helping out at the farm which they rented from her dad. In the '60s, Verna drove a 72-passenger school bus for a couple of years.
Upset by taxes, Tom and Verna began to look at moving to Canada, and in 1968, they bought 775 acres at Willow Valley, Sunset Prairie. Their crop froze three years in a row. The family moved and rented a place off Reasbeck Road and fed 500 head of pigs using the frozen wheat from their farm. In 1978, the family moved again, to where they have lived to this time; their property on the Blockline Road. Vera continued to support the farm, raise grandchildren, and worked at the same time.
Verna worked as head secretary for Woolsey Adjusters in Dawson Creek from 1970 to 1976, as a legal secretary from 1975 to 1976, and then began working for the School District as Confidential Secretary to the Superintendent in the fall of 1976, until her retirement in 1992.
Verna loved to read, she was a prolific reader. As a kid she would often hide in the outhouse and read, or she would pretend to be doing vacuuming in her bedroom, but really she was letting the vacuum run while she was under the bed reading! She was notorious for her way with words, and her skills in the correct use of language were phenomenal - so much so, that principals were scared to send reports to the office because they knew that Verna, who was always to the point, would send them back for correction if there were errors in spelling, grammar or punctuation!
She was a great human being and a great character. She enjoyed jokes, had strong opinions about many things, and stuck up for what she thought was fair. She was loyal and was an extremely caring individual. Verna had a really big heart.
She enjoyed a friendly verbal interchange, she was great at it. Verna would always take issues head on - you always knew where you stood with Verna. She had a great style and was always proactive.
All who have known her, worked with her, and particularly her family, appreciate the colour, humour, loyalty and understanding she brought to her relationships. She was a cheerleader for the underdog, an encourager, a coach and a cherished friend of many.
Verna was predeceased by her parents Chancy and Mildred Churchill, her daughter Karma Roberts, and her brother Kenneth Churchill.
She is lovingly remembered by her husband Thomas Bennett; her children Max (Janet) Bennett, and Debi (Les) Alexander; her grandchildren Bud (Jodi) Roberts, Jud Roberts, Justin (Cindy) Bennett, Sheila (Travis) Shockley, Joseph (Nadia) Wetherill, and Michelle Opalinski; her great grandchildren Taryn and Ty Roberts, Brian Roberts, Amiel Wetherill, Derek and Steven Opalinski, Callie Bennett, Shay, Tevor and Shawntel Shockley.
Funeral Arrangements were entrusted to Bergeron Funeral Services and Crematorium Ltd., Dawson Creek, British Columbia.

Rose Ruth Berge -- 1908-2001
Rose Ruth Berge passed away on August 16, 2001 at 93 years of age. A funeral service was held at 2:00 pm on August 23, 2001 at the South Peace United Church, with Pastor Gary Henderson officiating. Interment followed at the Dawson Creek City Cemetery.
Eulogy read by Mary Berge:
The family moved west to the Peace River District in the fall of 1949. After spending the winter in the Clayhurst area, land was purchased from Jack Orum in the Lakeview District. Upon arrival, we were greeted by several ladies, and were asked to join the Lakeview W.I., after we were settled we joined, and still belonged to this day. Rose held many positions in the W.I., from being a board member to President, and Secretary Treasurer, which she held many years. She attended many conventions, conferences and rallies. She also entered in all the competitions from quilting, knitting, crocheting and baking, among others.
Rose always had the coffee pot on, as well as fresh cinnamon buns and bread with jams and jellies.
She was a very hard worker on the farm; she raised many chickens and always had a large garden. Rose loved gardening and belonged to the Horticulture Society
The Fall Fair was a huge event in her life. She entered almost every class she could, coming away with many prizes. The children's garden class was especially dear to her heart and she made sure each child got a ribbon just for entering, and for years, she sponsored trophies in this class. In her 90th year, she was bound to bring in 90 entries, and she did accomplish this with the help of Myrna Hauber. Rose was able to take in the garden tour this year as well as the Fall Fair.
Her family made sure she always had a ride to wherever she wanted to go. Rose still drove her own car occasionally to go to Garnet's or over to Gerald's.
Family meant everything to Rose. She never forgot birthdays, weddings or anniversaries. She never missed the chance to phone in on the birthday line, and the family received many balloon bouquets and cakes. She also kept a diary every day -- many a conflict was settled by just looking back in her diaries.
Christmas was a special time of year for Rose. Her turkey suppers were excellent with all the trimmings. And through every aspect of our lives, she was always there with her camera, recording every event that happened to us. She made sure they were put into albums with a small note about each picture and the date. Albums were made for each of us; these pictures and memories will last forever because of her.
Music was her life. She enjoyed Wilbur's violin playing, Keray Reagan singing, and would listen to their tapes for hours. Ross Rollins, Alan Berge, George Steward, Earl and Edith Leer, Eddie Dahlen and many others brought much joy to her life with their singing and music.
Rose loved to travel and made many trips to Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Vancouver, as well as to the east coast of Canada, a cruise to Mexico, Rose traveled to England twice, and even made it to Hawaii.
Rose also belonged to the Senior Citizen's organization. Oh how she enjoyed the carpet bowling and floor curling, and competed in many of the tournaments. Monday noon dinners were another activity she enjoyed, and she hardly ever missed going to the Seniors and 40's dances.
She was Citizen of the Year in 1989 and was very proud and honored to receive this award. She also belonged to the Art Society where she took classes on pottery with Inez Demuynck.
Rose, the family will miss you greatly and I will especially have a void in my life. She was a great lady. May she rest in peace with God's loving arms and care. We hope you know how much we loved you and appreciated the things you did, even though we never told you often enough. We shall cherish your love and the care you had for us all, forever.
This is a combined eulogy given in love by her sisters and brothers in memory of Rose:
The first child born to Rose and Jim West in 1908. Rose was born in Brandon Hospital, but the next ten of us were born on the farm near Foam Lake.
After she was married to Howard, I would spend a week in the summer holidays with them as they only lived 8 miles from us. We all know how she loved gardening and flowers. I remember sitting on the step with her shelling peas, and when the phone would ring she would jump up and go listen to what the neighbours were up to. I think one of the secrets to her long life was her interest in people.
Her house was surrounded by wild fruit and we would pick raspberries, saskatoons, pin cherries, etc., after she had canned enough for her family, she would sell pails of fruit to people in town.
She milked the cows, (and she was a fast milker), she fed the pigs and chickens, gathered eggs, separated the milk, and then could dance the night away. We used to go to Rose and Howard's on New Year's Day when possible and she had a gift for everyone.
Around 1935, a foster boy, Karl Moench, came to stay with Rose and Howard. He stayed with them until he enlisted in the Navy when he was 18. Rose thought a lot of Karl and in later years visited him in Victoria.
Although we lived distances apart, over the years, we have had times together. We came to Dawson Creek numerous times and joined in on her fabulous birthday parties. In September of '83, we four sisters went on a bus tour to the Maritimes. In June of '91, Maisie, Rose, Arlene and I went to London for a week.
With Gamet, her grandson, living in the same yard, she was able to remain in her own home as he watched over her. The rose is a special flower and so was our sister, Rose.
Rose was predeceased by her husband, Howard Berge, siblings, George, Allan, Bill, and Violet, and daughter-in-law, Pat Berge.
Rose will be lovingly remembered by:
Her sons, Wilbur Berge (Kari Preston), and Gerald (Donna) Berge; daughter-in-law, Mary Berge; grandchildren, Garnet Berge (Doreen Burnet), Wendy Berge, Arlene Terry (Frank Kurjata), Fred Terry, Cheryl (Darryl) Ireland, Dell (Viola) Berge, Tracy (Mel) Frank, John (Sherry) Berge, Lisa Mattson (Mike Sherman), and Tina (Kip) Noble; great-grandchildren, Cindy and James Berge, Doug (Robyn) Terry, and Robin Terry, Jennifer, Jessica, Amanda, and Morgan Ireland, Lane, Shaw, and Bailie Berge, Lincoln and Katherine Frank, Tanner, Riley, Kaiden, and Jett Berge, Kimberly Mattson, Cole and Rae Ann Sherman, Madison and Liam Noble; great-great grandchildren, Lincoln and Quinn Terry; brothers, Bob (Nadga) West, Jim, Stanley, and Howard West; sisters, Maisie Wight, and Doris Nikkel.
Funeral arrangements under the direction of Bergeron Funeral Services & Crematorium Ltd., Dawson Creek, British Columbia.

Mary Jessie Bergeron
1916 - 2000
Mary Jessie Bergeron, better known as Jessie Bergeron, resident of Dawson Creek, British Columbia, passed away in Dawson Creek, on September 24, 2000 at 83 years of age. A funeral service was held at 10 a.m. on September 29, 2000 at the Notre Dame Roman Catholic Church, Dawson Creek, with Father Chris Lynch officiating. Interment followed at the Dawson Creek City Cemetery.
Jessie was born in a small village called South West Margaree, in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia on October 23, 1916. She was the youngest of six children. Her parents, Isabella and John Allan MacLellan were also born in Cape Breton; her grandparents originated from Scotland.
Her parents were farmers who operated what was referred to as a "mixed farm". Jessie loved to help out with caring for the animals and other farm-related work. Perhaps this explains her love for the outdoors and nature.
She attended a one-room country school called "Captain Allan's" where one teacher was responsible for all the children. Jessie enjoyed school and felt that she always had good teachers, one of whom was her brother Malcolm.
As for employment, she described herself as "a Cook of all trades". Her first job was in New York, working as a domestic. She left this job to return to work on her parents' farm. During WWII, she moved to Montreal where she worked at General Electric, as an inspector in a factory that manufactured airplane parts. She then worked as a waitress in Montreal.
She first arrived in Dawson Creek - on April 5, 1945, the year WWII ended. She came to see her brother Angus and her Uncle Pete who were living "out west". She had traveled on the Harvest train from Montreal to Pouce Coupe and Angus was there to pick her up at the train station in Pouce Coupe. Angus had brought along a friend, Bob Bergeron, whom was the man she eventually married; he was the first man that she had met upon arriving in the West!
Jessie and Bob soon became friends and got to know each other well when they worked together at the local West End Grocery store. They fell in love and were married on October 15, 1947. Jessie continued to work in the store until she became pregnant with her first child. Unfortunately this baby, Joseph, died at birth. She proceeded to give birth to eight more healthy children; Theresa, John, Bob, Ron, Gerry, Marie, Ken and Aimie.
Raising eight children was a challenge that most would shy away from today, but she said more than once that she would do it all over again if given a second chance. Having raised eight children, it is not surprising that she thought that the washing machine followed by the dryer were the two greatest inventions during her time.
She was a very special woman who touched the hearts of so many. She shared many gifts, the most precious being her ability to make each one feel special.
In addition to her family and friends, she had many other loves and interests. Gardening was one of her greatest passions and even at age 83 she managed to produce the most beautiful flower gardens.
Being of Scottish origin, Jessie loved hearing the sound of the bagpipes; whenever she heard the pipes on television all activities in the house came to a stop so that she could listen.
But of all her loves, her love of God was perhaps her strongest. She had a very strong faith and deep devotion to God. Prayer was her comfort and was what helped her through challenging times.
Jessie was predeceased by her parents, her four brothers, John A, Jim, Malcom and Angus, and an infant son, Joseph.
She is lovingly remembered by her husband, Bob; her children, Theresa (Clarence) Wastle, John Bergeron (Heather Martin), Bob (Cheryl) Bergeron, Ron Bergeron, Gerry (Peggy) Bergeron, Marie Bergeron (Hartmut von Gaza), Ken (Lorelee) Bergeron, and Aimie (Nick) Rowe; her grandchildren, Karen Schultz, Mark and Michael Jones, Christal Wastle, Conlan and Sarah Bergeron, Rick, Jason and Shylo Bergeron, Sabrina and Anna Bergeron, Kiefer von Gaza, Cody and Isaiah Bergeron; her great-grandchildren, Andrew and Jessica Shultz; her sister, Tena MacLellan, numerous sister-in-laws, one brother-in-law as well as many nieces and nephews and friends.
Funeral Arrangements were entrusted to Bergeron Funeral Services & Crematorium Ltd., Dawson Creek, B.C.

Gloria Lee Bischoff
1942 - 2001
A Funeral service was held on July 6 at 11 am from Reynars Funeral Chapel & Crematorium. For the late Gloria Lee Bischoff Rev David Roch Officiating.
Lee was born in Wells, B.C. on July 18 1942 and named Gloria Lee Towers.
She was a middle child of three with a younger brother, Donald or Donnie as we called him and myself as the eldest . . .although I'm only 13 months older than Lee. Our mother and father are both deceased. Lee has a 39 year old son, Michael. I hope he knows deep in his heart that his mother loved him very much. I could relate stories of our childhood but as it could take up a lot of time, I'll just say, Lee was a unique child . . . one who didn't like clothing and shoes and was often found roaming the neighborhood without either. But that was at the immodest age of two.
Another favorite past time Lee had was making mud pies . . . and she must have thought they were beautifully created because she ate them as she deemed them ready.
I know you will all miss Lee . . . as will I.
Don't think of her as gone away . . . her journey's just begun; life holds so many facets . . . this world is only one. Just think of her as resting from the sorrows and the tears in a place of warmth and comfort where there are no days and years. Think how she must be wishing that we could know today, how nothing but our sadness can really pass away. And think of her as living in the hearts of those she touched . . . for nothing loved is ever lost . . . and she was loved so much.
Goodbye Sis . . . God Bless & Keep You!
Shari Ward
Arrangements under the care of Reynars Funeral Chapel & Crematorium, Dawson Creek B.C.

Walter Blocka
Walter Blocka, resident of Dawson Creek, British Columbia, passed away peacefully on August 1, 2001. A memorial service was held at 2:00 pm on Friday, August 3, 2001 at the Bergeron Funeral Chapel, with Reverend Judy Hare officiating. Following the service, Walter's cremated remains were interred in the Brookside Cemetery, Dawson Creek.
Walter was born on June 7, 1933 near Rosthern, Saskatchewan. Walter was the fifth of six children born to his parents, Panko and Annie Blocka.
Walter's family farmed near Rosthern and later, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. He attended school up to grade 10. He worked on the farm and later for the local grain elevators before finding work in road construction, which ultimately took him to Alberta and then to Dawson Creek in 1956.
Here he met Gail Young and they were married November 3, 1962. In August 1963 their first child, Darcy, was born. Two more children followed, Kevin, in 1965, and Deanne, in 1968. Walter continued to work at gravel crushing and road construction up until his death. First working for Gibbs construction in Dawson Creek, later for Steve Romaniuk. Through most of the 70's Walter worked for Lobe construction mostly in northern B.C. and the Yukon. In the 80's, Walter went to work for Lorean Enterprises in Fort St. John, B.C. and continued to work there until his death.
Walter was a man who loved to be out of doors. As a younger man he loved to hunt, fish and camp. In his later years, Walter's interests changed somewhat from hunting and camping, but he still loved to be outside. His new outdoor passion became his garden, and anything he could grow.
Walter was a sociable man who loved life, his family and people in general. He always had time to talk to a friend or neighbor and to shoot the breeze over the back yard fence. He was always willing to lend a helping hand and usually found it difficult to be inactive for long.
Walter was a good, decent hard working man. He was not a man who envied what others had or complained about what he didn't have. He provided for his family and enjoyed the simple pleasures of life. Walter was loved and respected by all those who knew him, and his presence will be sorely missed.
Walter was predeceased by his parents, his brother Harry, and Mike, sisters Olga and Natalia.
He will be deeply missed by his wife Gail, his children, Darcy (Georgia), Kevin (Donna), Deanne (Dale), and his grandchildren, Mathew, Jennifer, Nicole, Allison and Benjamin; his one surviving brother, Carl, who lives with his wife Cathy in Toronto; his brothers and sisters in-law, Anne Blocka, Ruth Blocka, Steve Harapchak and John Watier; as well as numerous other relatives and friends.
Funeral Arrangements entrusted to Bergeron Funeral Services & Crematorium Ltd., Dawson Creek, British Columbia.

See also our sister site:

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Canadian Obituaries Collection is maintained by GenealogyBuff with

Canadian Historical Newspapers -

 Search fulltext United Kingdom Genealogy Discussion Groups:
  First Name:
   Last Name:

If the results that you get turn out to be a death notice rather than an obituary, many times you can find a fulltext obituary by doing a search HERE.

Search ALL Deaths, Burials, Cemeteries & Obituaries

Social Security Death Index Search

Alabama  - Alaska  - Arizona  - Arkansas  - California  - Colorado  - Connecticut  - Delaware  - Florida  - Georgia  - Hawaii  - Idaho  - Illinois  - Indiana  - Iowa  - Kansas  - Kentucky  - Louisiana  - Maine  - Maryland  - Massachusetts  - Michigan  - Minnesota  - Mississippi  - Missouri  - Montana  - Nebraska  - Nevada  - New Hampshire  - New Jersey  - New Mexico  - New York  - North Carolina  - North Dakota  - Ohio  - Oklahoma  - Oregon  - Pennsylvania  - Rhode Island  - South Carolina  - South Dakota  - Tennessee  - Texas  - Utah  - Vermont  - Virginia  - Washington  - West Virginia  - Wisconsin  - Wyoming
United Kingdom


Alabama  - Arizona  - Arkansas  - California  - Connecticut  - Georgia  - Idaho  - Illinois  - Indiana  - Iowa  - Kansas  - Kentucky  - Louisiana  - Maryland  - Massachusetts  - Michigan  - Mississippi  - Missouri  - Nebraska  - New Mexico  - New York  - North Carolina  - Ohio  - Oklahoma  - Pennsylvania  - South Carolina  - Tennessee  - Texas  - Vermont  - Virginia  - West Virginia


Death Records

Cemetery Records

Obituary Records

Marriage Records

Birth Records

Divorce Records

Vital Records

Show ALL Obituary Collections

User-Contributed Genealogy Data Forum

User-Contributed Obituary Forum

Library of Genealogy Files

United States Newspaper Directory

United States Counties

United States Cities

Discover your
family's story.

Enter your name to start your discovery.

Start Now

Canadian Historical Newspapers -


IMPORTANT HINT!!! - When the list of results displays, DON'T click
on anything! Just pass your mouse over the links at
each listing and you will see a balloon with the marriage




For your convenience, here are the latest collections and updates added at as of today: - - - - Surname Search Utility - - Marriage Search Engines
Return to Main Page