GenealogyBuff.com - making genealogy simpler; a free genealogy surname research tool that reaches for data from all over.

Early Brandywine Cemetery Burials
Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware


SEARCH THIS SITE

Extracted from:

               HISTORY OF DELAWARE, 1609 – 1888.

                              BY
               J. Thomas  Scharf, A.M., LL.D.,

            PHILADELPHIA: L.J. RICHARDS & CO. 1888.

In 1843 Samuel Wollaston began to lay off a tract of land of ten 
acres and fifty-nine perches on Delaware Avenue into lots for a 
cemetery. The project met with public favor and February 14, 1842, a 
meeting of citizens was held in City Hall, where it was determined to 
form a cemetery company, so that each lot-holder would be a proprietor. 
Wollaston had already disposed of two hundred lots. On March 12, 1844, 
the Wilmington and Brandywine Cemetery Company was organized with the 
following officers: Willard Hall, president; Jonas Pusey, secretary; 
John A. Duncan, treasurer; David C. Wilson, Samuel Wollaston, William 
Lea, George Craig, Henry F. Askew, M.D., James Canby, Richard H. 
Bayard, Miller Dunott, directors. A charter of incorporation was 
obtained February 6, 1845. The grounds then included the Wollaston 
tract, lying on the north of Delaware Avenue, and east of old King’s 
Road, and an additional tract of five acres and one hundred and nine 
and a half rods on the north, bought of James Canby. The company 
afterwards bought adjoining lands of Bishop Lee, of the estate of 
Dr. Gibbons, and of Isaac Chamberlain, making the present area of the 
cemetery twenty-three acres, one hundred and fifty-two and one-half 
rods. George Read Riddle was employed to make a draft or plan of the 
cemetery, which was adopted May 7, 1844. The remains of George Sharpe 
were the first to be interred in the grounds on August 12, 1844. The 
entire number of interments to September 27, 1887, was nine thousand 
six hundred and nine. Miller Dunott, one of the first directors, was 
buried here May 9, 1845.

At the time of the decease of Samuel Wollaston the board placed the 
following on record in the minute-book: "Our esteemed townsman, 
Samuel Wollaston, deceased October 15, 1875, at the advanced age of 
eighty-nine years. With him originated in 1844 the plan, and through 
his efforts was mainly achieved the establishment of the Wilmington 
and Brandywine Cemetery. At first conceived and entered upon by him 
individually, he was eventually joined in the project by many of his 
fellow-citizens. Thus at that early day did his wise foresight 
anticipate a requirement in this city which later experience has 
caused to be adopted throughout the country. Through the long period 
since the organization of the company, he continued to take an active 
interest, and was a valuable member of this Board, rarely being 
absent from its meetings. He was an active, useful and upright 
citizen. We record this short memorial as a testimony of the respect
and reverence entertained by us for him."

Samuel Wollaston, the only son of Joshua Wollaston and Catharine 
  Kirk, his wife, was born at Wilmington, Del., May 25, 1786, and in
  1811 married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob and Esther Fussell.

He was an active, exemplary member of the religious Society of 
  Friends at Fourth and West Streets, Wilmington, Del., and for many 
  years he occupied a prominent position in that body.

In 1838 and 1839 he devoted much time and thought and was greatly 
  interested in the culture of silk, and in the growing of morus 
  multicaulis trees for feeding the silk-worm, and he built upon his 
  own place a cocoonery with racks, etc., for the purpose.

Mr. Wollaston, like a long line of ancestors, was a farmer.

His farm was known as Windsor Farm, upon which a large part of the 
western part of Wilmington now stands, and also a portion of that 
occupied by the Wilmington and Brandywine Cemetery.

Mr. Wollaston, in 1844, planned and originated the Wilmington and 
Brandywine Cemetery, individually conducting and managing the same 
for some time. Afterwards he was joined by many of his most 
prominent fellow-citizens.

At that time few similar institutions existed in this country, and in 
the then small community did his wise forethought anticipate a 
requirement which later experience has caused to be adopted 
throughout the land.

The enterprise proved a success, and during the long period of his 
life he was au active and valuable member of the board of directors 
of that corporation.

To other sterling qualities of head and heart were added the tender 
ties of family and home.

He was always regular, methodical and very abstemious, to which, no 
doubt, he owed his long life and good health.

He loved his friends, was cheerful, indulgent to his children, kind 
to those who served him and hospitable to strangers.

He was dignified is manner, modest and retiring in disposition.

As the evening of his life drew on, he became gentle and lovely as a 
child, yet to within a few hours of his death he retained his mind 
clear and faculties bright, at the advanced age of nearly ninety 
years, honored and respected by all who knew him.

He died October 15, 1875, at his place, 613 Washington Street, 
Wilmington, Del.

Samuel Wollaston was the son of Joshua Wollaston and Catharine Kirk, 
his wife.

Joshua Wollaston was the son of Thomas Wollaston and Hannah Johnson, 
his wife.

Thomas Wollaston was the son of Jeremiah Wollaston and Catharine 
Robinson, his wife.

Jeremiah Wollaston was the son of Thomas Wollaston and Martha, his 
wife, who came to Delaware and settled, purchasing in 1667, ‘68, ‘69 
land in New Castle County, White Clay and Mill Creek Hundreds, 
Delaware.

The cemetery company are constantly improving and making more 
attractive their beautiful burying-place, and a large number of 
imposing and costly monuments have been erected. It is systematically 
laid off into plats and drives, and distributed through the grounds 
are fifteen artistically planned flower-beds, as well as trees of 
many kinds and varieties, the latter furnishing delightful shade.

Judge Willard Hall was president of the cemetery company from 1844 to 
1875, when William Canby was elected to succeed him.

Jonas Pusey served as secretary from 1844 to a 1847. On June 27, 
1847, Albert W. Smith was elected secretary and treasurer, and served 
in that position to December 12, 1881, at which date Arthur H. Smith 
was elected.

The present board of directors are: William Canby, president; Jacob 
F. Sharp, John Jones, Ellwood Garrett, Albert W. Smith, Edward 
Tatnall, George W. Bush, W.R. Bullock, William M. Canby. Samuel C. 
Penrose is superintendent of the cemetery.

It has been the aim and purpose of the directors to create a fund 
from year to year, increasing the same (after making all needful 
improvements and managing and conducting the affairs of wages and 
expenses), so that by the time all the lots shall be sold, the fund 
will be large enough to keep the cemetery in good order, without 
taxing the lot-holders. The directors have every reason to think that 
they will be able to accomplish this, as the fund now amounts to 
forty thousand dollars.

Among the beautiful monuments in the cemetery are those erected to 
the memory of the following:

Commodore Jacob Jones, U.S.N., born in Smyrna, Del., 1768; died, 
  1850. He was in the navy 52 years, relinquished the practice of 
  medicine entered the navy at thirty years of age. His remains were 
  removed to the cemetery by act of Legislature.

John Ferris, born Ninth Month 2, 1801: died Ninth Month 2, 1882.

James Tilton, M.D., born 1745, graduated Doctor of Medicine in the 
  first medical school in this country; settled in Dover in 1776; 
  entered the Revolutionary War as surgeon in 1777, and remained in 
  the service until its close; member of Congress in 1782; first 
  president of the Delaware Medical Society; died August 14, 1822.

Joseph Scott, born In England, 1796; died in Wilmington, 1856.

Captain Anthony Christy, died September 17, 1862, aged 105 years.

Felix Gustave Gwinczwski, an exile from Poland, died Oct. 9, 1849.

John Rose, chief of the Cherokee nation, was first interred in this 
  cemetery, and his remains ware afterwards removed to his own 
  people. Mary B. Stapler, wife of John Ross, born in Wilmington, 
  1825; died in Philadelphia, 1865. Her remains lie here.

Samuel Harlan, Jr., born March 6, 1807; died Feb. 6, 1883. Susan P., 
  his wife, born April 5, 1816; died Dec. 3, 1877.

Thomas A. Smyth, Brigadier-General United States Volunteers, born 
  Sept. 9, 1832; died April 9, 1865, from wounds received at 
  Farmville.

Enoch Moore, the ship-builder, born Aug. 12, 1803; died Sept. 16, 
  1884.

Henry Lea, son of James and Elizabeth Gibson Lea, born Sept. 16, 
  1803; died Jan. 5, 1881.

Edward Bringhurst, born Fifth Month 22, 1809; died Second Month 8, 
  1884.

William Lea, died Dec. 28, l976, aged 72 years.

Commodore John P. Gillis, United States Navy, born 1803; died 1873.

James Canby, born Jan. 30, 1781; died May 24, 1958.

Captain David H. Porter, nephew of Commodore Porter, born in New 
  Castle County, Feb. 9, 1805, entered the naval service of the 
  Mexican Government; when in command of the brig of war "Guerro," 
  Feb. 28, 1828, was attacked by a Spanish brig, "Lealpad," and 
  Killed by a grape- shot while in the effort of raising tits colors 
  after having been shot away.

Charles Bush, Aug. 2, 1805; died Oct. 4, 1855.

George Bush, June 27, 1797; died Sept. 22, 1863.

Captain Henry B. Nones, U.S.R.M., born 1804; died Aug. 25, 1868. 
  He did valiant service in the Mexican War.

Washington H. Nones, U.S.N., born 1827, died 1853.

Lieutenant John M. Nones, U.S.R.M., born 1884, died 1859.

Colonel Henry Simpson McComb, born June 28, 1825; died Dec. 30, 1881.

J. Norris Robinson, born Jan. 8, 1831.

Daniel Lamotte, May 10, 1753; died May 2, 1872.

Charles Eugene Lamotte, Colonel Sixty United States Veteran Volunteers; 
  Brevet Brigadier-General, Aug. 20, 1839; died May 24, 1887.

T. Clarkeson Taylor, a prominent teacher, born Sixth Month 24, 1825; 
  died Tenth Month 25, 1871.

James Hemphill Jones, Colonel United States Marine Corps, born May 6, 
  1821; died at Boston, Mass., April 17, 1880, was in the service 
  forty years.

Samuel Wollaston, born Fifth Month 25, 1796; died Tenth Month 15, 1825.

John Wales, born 1783 ; died Dec. 3, 1863.

Edward W. Gilpin, born July 13, 1803; died Aug. 29, 1876.

Colonel S.B. Davis, born at Lewes, Delaware, Dec. 25, 1765; died at 
  Delamore Place, Sept. 6, 1854.

William S. McCaulley, born Jan. 17, 1777; died Sept. 22, 1883.

Return to Main Page

Surname Search Utility - FamGen.net - YourFamilyFacts.com - GenLookups.com - Marriage Search Engines