- making genealogy simpler; a free genealogy surname research tool that reaches for data from all over.

Miscellaneous Carroll County, Kentucky Obituaries


CARROLLTON DEMOCRAT - September 26, 1885 & Oct 3, 1885
Mr. Barzilla A. Baird, one of the oldest citizens of the county, died at his home in Upper White's Run neighborhood, last Sunday night; September 20. The funeral took place from Marvin chapel on Tuesday afternoon, a large concourse of sympathizing friends being present. Services were conducted by Rev. W. T. Rowland, the pastor, who preached an appropriate sermon. The interment took place in the family burying ground on the J. W. Hoggins farm. Mr. Baird was born in Paris, Bourbon county, November 24, 1803, and was therefore nearly 82 years old. He moved with his father to Grant county in early manhood, whence he moved to Carroll county in 1831, having a short time before married Miss Mary M. Scanland, a daughter of Rev. Reuben Scanland of this county. He was a continuous resident of the county from the time he came here until he died. By his first marriage there were seven children, all now living. Having lost his first wife in 1846, he was afterward married to Miss Eliza Wright, of Owen county, also a daughter of a minister, by whom there were born six children. He connected himself with the Methodist church in 1828, and was a faithful, consistent and active member from that time until the day of his death. He was a large man, weighing about 200 pounds, and his correct living no doubt added many years to his life.

CARROLLTON DEMOCRAT - December 19, 1885
The many friends of Geo. H. Booram were grievously shocked to learn of his death which occurred a few days ago in Nebraska. The remains were brought to this place for interment in the Methodist churchyard, arriving Thursday. The dispatch received from his wife, who was too ill to accompany the body of her husband, simply said that death was accidental. His wife, who was Miss Laura Reeder, has the deepest sympathy of her old friends here. Her father, Mr. Allen Reeder, came to attend the funeral, while Mrs. Reeder hastened to the bedside of the stricken wife. The venerable mother of Mr. Booram, whose home is in Shelbyville, was too much stricken by the sad news to attend. The sisters, Mrs. Smith, her husband, and Mrs. W. N. Bullock arrived Wednesday. Services conducted at the Methodist Church by Rev. M. W. Hiner.

Mrs. Belle Bowling, the estimable wife of our townsman, W. M. Bowling, died last Saturday night (May 9) at 12 o'clock, after a lingering illness with consumption. Besides her husband, she leaves three children to mourn her loss -- the eldest, a son abut 8 years old, the next a daughter, probably four years of age and the third, a babe about two weeks old. The burial took place Monday morning at ten o'clock, in Odd Fellows cemetery, after short services at the house by Rev. T. J. Godbey. A large crowd of sympathizing friends followed the remains to the grave. The father and mother of the deceased, who live in Madison, were present.

John Cropper
Uncle Johnny Cropper, well known in this county, having lived near Worthville for many years, died at his home in Owen County on Friday of last week and was buried on Saturday. His age was about 81 years. He was the father of Mrs. Mary Beale of this place and moved to Owen some years ago.

Died on Saturday morning, July 18th, Mrs. Sarah A. Davis, wife of Wm. Davis, at her residence in Grass Hill, from abscess of the liver.
The funeral of the deceased was held at the Whites Run Christian church, of which she was a faithful member, on Sunday, July 19. A large concourse of sorrowing relatives and friends assembled to pay the last tribute of respect to the departed one. Elder D. M. Bridges preached a brief and appropriate discourse from 2d Cor., Chap V.
Mrs. Davis was a daughter of the late Wm. Spicer, one of Carroll county's old and respected citizens; she was married to Wm. Davis, January 29, 1939, and for 26 years they toiled together along life's weary road, accumulating quite a respectable property. She was the mother of five children, all daughters. One preceded her to the grave. The loss of this daughter grieved her sorely, she leaving a little babe, that again has been robbed of a mother before her death. She committed the little girl to one of her daughters -- one that will love and car for her with all the love and affection of a mother. The four are well known in this county as the wives of some of our most worthy and respectable citizens; and, be it said to the praise of the deceased that no mother could boast of a better set of children than could Mrs. Sarah Davis. For six long and weary weeks she bore her illness with Christian meekness and fortitude, but alas, the Death angel came and summoned her from earth to Heaven. She met death calmly and with resignation, saying that she had no dread of the grave and exhorting those she was living behind not to grieve after her. Mrs. Davis was a woman of sterling worth, a kind and loving mother, a good neighbor, loved and respected by all who knew her; a faithful and affectionate wife. . . .

We are pained to announce the death of Wesley Gardner, one of the cleverest men that ever lived in Carrollton. He died at the residence of his brother, John S. Gardner, in Madison, Ind., last Monday (July 20), where he had been about a month. His age was 46 years. He was the son of Wm. Gardner, of this place, and had lived here the greater portion of his life. It is said that he was the first man to enlist in the Confederate service from Carroll county. He was a member of the famous "Southrons" from Vicksburg and officers and soldiers all agreed that he was a most gallant soldier. For a considerable time he was a courier under Gen. Longstreet and rendered such service as to win frequent praise from Gen. Longstreet and other officers. Mr. Gardner's remains were brought up on the Str. Kerr Monday morning and interred in the Odd Fellows' cemetery Tuesday morning, no funeral services being held.

The community was much-shocked Wednesday afternoon by the announcement that Mr. Alfred R. Gaunt, one of our oldest and best citizens had suddenly died, with heart disease. Mr. Gaunt was born and raised within a mile of where he died. His age was 70 years and 28 days. His father was John Gaunt, who died in 1841. He was one of several children, of whom the only survivor is Mrs. Sarah Tandy, of Trimble county. John F. Gaunt, a brother, died here in January 1875. In 1862, he was honored by the people of the county by an election to the office of Circuit clerk which he filled six years. Subsequently he was identified with the Internal Revenue system in this district, in the capacity of storekeeper.
Short services were held at the residence, Friday morning at ten o'clock by Elder H. W. Elliott, of the Christian church. The remains were interred in the family graveyard on the premises. The pall bearers were D. M. Bridges, Dr. L. E. Goslee, Dr. F. H. Gaines, Dr. P. Meade, R. W. Masterson, J. H. Lindsay, R. F. Harrison, and W. O. Gullion, all friends of the deceased, and some of them had been his associates in official life. Among those from a distance were Mrs. Dr. Givens, of Lagrange, a cousin of the deceased, and Mr. Will Duncan, of Trimble, a step-son of his wife. The surviving members of the family are his wife, to whom he was married September 29, 1881, and his two sons, Johns S. and James M. Gaunt, Children of his first wife, who passed away some six years ago.

After long and patient suffering with that emaciating disease, consumption, Elijah Hall departed this life on the 2nd inst., surrounded by loving kindred and kind friends at his home on Indian creek. He was far advanced in years, having served in the Mexican war; was respected by a large acquaintance, all of whom knew him only to be attached to him by strong bonds of friendship. His remains were interred in the Irvin Gardner burying grounds, where his wife and two daughters preceded him several years. He leaves four sons and one daughter to deplore the loss of a kind and loving father.

CARROLLTON DEMOCRAT - February 7, 1885
Ghent, Ky, Feb 5, Wednesday, at half past 12 o'clock, Richard Hawkins, son of Mrs. Amanda Hawkins, who lives two miles below this place, went over to his neighbor, Charles Unser's house, and committed suicide by shooting himself through the head with a 38 caliber British bull dog revolver. There was no one on the place but Mr. Unser and his wife, who were totally ignorant of his intentions until he had fired the fatal shot. Before leaving his home, which is only about 200 yards from the Unser residence, he wrote a pathetic letter directed to his mother, who was away from home, stating that he was tired of life, being broken down in health and spirits, and that he preferred death to being a cripple for life, and only in this way. He also said that he had prepared to take his life while in the city of Covington, some time ago, but had concluded to wait until he came home. He also disposed of his property, asserting that he was in his right mind.
The many friends of Mrs. Hawkins and of her sons and daughter sympathize with them in their sorrow. Young Richard Hawkins, who ended his own life by suicide was a high minded young man, and, being a cripple and in poor health, preferred death rather then to live a life which might be a burden to his family. He seems to have fired the fatal shot from a sense of duty.

We are sorry to announce the death of Thomas Hays. It occurred at his home near Prestonville, last Sunday (Feb 22, 1885), of acute pneumonia. He was one of the few surviving solders of the Mexican war, in this county, and was well liked. He leaves a family of several to mourn his loss. The remains were taken to Ghent for burial.

On last Monday morning (May 30) at two o'clock, one of our oldest and best citizens, John Hogan, died at the family residence. Mr. Hogan was seventy-two years of age at the time of his death and had been a citizen of this place since the year 1848.
Mr. Hogan joined the Baptist church at this place 31 years ago and has been one of its most faithful members. He was next to the oldest member of the Odd Fellows' Lodge here at the time of his death, having become a member in the year 1856. He had filled all the offices of the Lodge with credit, having been Secretary for a number of years and filled the office to the satisfaction of all.
The funeral, which took place at the Baptist church Tuesday morning, was very largely attended by the many friends of the deceased. The services were conducted under the auspices of the lodge, many members of the order from Ghent and Vevay being present. Rev. E. Kirtley, of Vevay, preached a plain and impressive sermon, after which the remains were interred in the Odd Fellows' cemetery Mr. Hogan leaves a wife, two sons--Dave and Ed, and two daughters--Miss Lizzie and Mrs. James Ringo to mourn the loss of a kind father and affectionate husband.

We are sorry to hear of the death of Gabriel Jackson, a clever gentleman who lived out near Cove Hill. He died Wednesday afternoon and was buried the next evening at Cove Hill. He was a brother of Ham and Vachel Jackson. He had been sick for a long time.
[Note: Stone reads "JACKSON, Gabriel M.; Oct 18, 1843 - Apr 8, 1885" int Cove Hill cem. GCW]

Mrs. Elizabeth Laukamp died Friday night (June 12) of last week after a short illness. Her funeral took place last Sunday afternoon. Services were held by Rev. Father Schmid at the Catholic Church, after which the remains were interred in the cemetery adjacent to the church. The deceased was one of the pioneer Catholics in this place. Father Schmid paid a high tribute to her character, speaking of her care for an aged mother who was blind for 20 years.

CARROLLTON DEMOCRAT - November 14, 1885
The funeral of Gerhard Meyer, whose death was mentioned last week took place at the Catholic church Monday morning. In his sermon, which was both in German and English, Rev. Father Schmid, paid a deserved tribute to the deceased as a citizen.
For the last twenty or more years Mr. Meyer had been engaged in the brick business, and until a few years ago, made all the bricks that were used in Carrollton and vicinity. He leaves a wife and several children.
[Notes: Stone reads "MEYER, Gerhard; Feb 17, 1826 - Nov 6, 1885" in St John's cemetery]

CARROLLTON DEMOCRAT - Saturday, January 31, 1891
Uncle Robert Moore, who lacked but a few days of being 95 years of age, passed away Thursday night of less than a week with pneumonia. He was the oldest man in the county, and lived his whole life within a mile or two of where he was born in 1796, about a year before Washington retired from the presidential chair. He was a very clever and hospitable man; was remarkably hale and active up to his last illness; worked in the fields regularly until the close of last season; would ride to Carrollton or elsewhere, mounting and dismounting with ease. He had very little faith in physicians, and never sought their services, even refusing medical attention in his last illness. He cast his first vote in 1816 before he was 21 years of age and it was a Democratic vote. From that vote until his last, a period of 75 years he never scratched the party ticket and attended all important elections. At last August elections when the State ticket was thought to be in danger, Uncle Bob was one of the first men at the polls, we learn. He was not a member of any church it was stated. His wife survives, being about 70 years old, and four children are still living.

Mrs. Elizabeth Mosgrove, mother of the Mosgrove brothers, of Locust, died at her home last Saturday morning (April 12), after a protracted illness. Funeral services were held Sunday morning at the residence by Rev. Levi Chilton, after which the remains were brought to Carrollton, followed by an immense crowd of people, and interred in the Mosgrove lot in the Odd Fellows' cemetery at 2 o'clock. A good many town people also attended the burial. Mrs. Mosgrove was held in high esteem by all who knew her; she was one of the most estimable ladies of the county and had many warm friends. Three sons and two daughters survive to mourn their loss.

Mrs. Elizabeth Mosgrove, Our mother in Memory's Halls. Five children, three brothers and two sisters, cherish a precious picture of Mother. The lamp of whose life went out on the morning of April 12, 1884, just as the shades of night were departing, .....where she joined our father and brother who had gone but a short time before. Our mother was born in the city of Louisville, September 12, 1824, and consequently was 59 years 7 months old when she heard the dip of the angel's oar. Her maiden name was Shipp, her mother having been a sister to Dr. J. H. Owen, who was the father of P. H. Owen, now of Hunters Bottom, this county. On the afternoon of April 13, 1884, we consigned the mortal remains of our mother to the confines of the dark and cheerless tomb between where our father and brother were already sleeping, in Odd Fellow's cemetery, Carrollton.

CARROLLTON DEMOCRAT - September 19, 1885
Died, September 12th, 1885, Mrs. Margret J. Ralston, aged 57 years, 11 months, and 12 days, of cancer, after two years of intense suffering. Funeral services were held over the remains by Rev. Mr. Roberts, at the Baptist church at nine o'clock Sunday, after which the remains were conveyed, under the direction of H. C. Howard, undertaker, to Ghent where they were deposited in the Masonic burial place. Mrs. Ralston, whose maiden name was Burnes, was a lady of kind dispositions. She quietly passed away, surrounded by all of her children, now living and her kind and devoted husband. She was a devout member of the Baptist Church.

CARROLLTON DEMOCRAT - December 26 1885
Langson Robertson, son of Capt. Rich Robertson, formerly of the county, died at Wm. Gardner's hotel in this place last Monday night (Dec 21) at a quarter to 12 o'clock, of congestion of the lungs and brain. Having taken sick at his home in Jeffersonville, Ind. He had come here on the steamer Maggie Harper on the Friday night before he died, his intention to join his family who, for four or five weeks, had been at his father in law, Elza Coghill's three miles south of town.
The remains were interred in Odd Fellow's cemetery Wednesday morning. Rev. M. W. Hiner conducted brief services at the hotel and grave. A wife and three children survive. His age was 32 years. Guy Robertson, a brother of the deceased, arrived in time for the funeral from Kansas city, where the rest of the family reside.

Mrs. Carrie Rudd, of Sanders, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John T. Ralston, of this place, and widow of the late Col. Nathaniel Rudd, died Wednesday morning (Jan 7) at 6 o'clock, of consumption, after a long sickness and much suffering, aged 30 years. She was a member of the Baptist church, united with the church when quite young. She leaves one child aged about ten years. Thursday morning, after appropriate funeral services by Rev. Richard Alexander, her remains were interred in Scott Cemetery, at Ghent.

On Wednesday evening (July 22) at half after ten o'clock, Mrs. Lydia Scott, wife of our worthy citizen, Joseph Scott, died at her home on Second street after a protracted illness with something like cancer of the stomach. She was born in the city of Philadelphia on the 17th day of September, 1795, and was therefore 89 years, 10 months and 5 days old at the time of her death.
She was married in 1838 to Mr. Scott in Delaware where her father then resided and in 1840 they came to Carrollton to live and remained here from that time until now. In 1842 she united with the Methodist Church here and she lived the remainder of her days a faithful and earnest member, doing her duty industriously in all the relations of life, and she died the death of the righteous--full of hope and full of faith, desiring only that "His will be done." The deceased was loved by all who knew her on account of her many good qualities, chief among which were gentleness, modesty and kindness.
She never had any children of her own but she raised five children for others, one of them being Mrs. Henry Abbett, of this place, an orphan, to whom she was a mother indeed. She was a cousin to Rev. McD. Abbett, of this place. The funeral took place from the Methodist Church Friday morning at 9 o'clock. Rev. T. J. Godbey preached a brief but appropriate discourse paying a tribute to the character of the deceased, and was followed by Rev. McD. Abbett, who in a few remarks referred to her more prominent virtues in a way which moved all to tears. The remains were interred in Odd Fellow's Cemetery.

Samuel S. Tandy, of Carroll County, Ky., who lived and spent his life in the Upper Whites Run neighborhood, after being afflicted for nearly ten years with paralysis and rheumatism, died August 13th, 1885, aged 62 years, 9 months and 28 days. He bore his affliction with unusual patience, cheerfulness and heroic fortitude. In his death his fond wife has lost a devoted husband, his children a loving father, his relatives and neighbors, a man of unswerving integrity. . . .

Lillian Tate, a son-in-law of William Hayden, who lives near Cove Hill, died at the residence of his father-in-law Thursday morning (July 2), of typho-malarial fever.
[Note: Stone "L. O. TATE; July 2, 1885 - aged 31 years" in Cove Hill cemetery]

Died: At his home in Carroll County, Ky., April 20, 1885, Mr. Uriah M. Taylor, in the 84th year of his age. He was born December 1st, 1800, in Garrard county, Ky. In 1823 he married Miss Elizabeth Ann Wharton, near Lancaster, who survives, in her 80th year a lonely mariner on the river of time, only waiting a little longer to be called to join the happy throng beyond the tide. They had walked and fought life's battles together for over 62 years. Father Taylor was one of a family of twelve children, six sons and six daughters, four of whom are still living -- three sisters and one brother, one of them older than himself. His posterity at his death numbered 80 as follows: 9 children, 51 grand children and 20 great grand children, of the whole number 56 are living and 24 dead; those living: Children 9 grand children 39 and great grand children 12; dead children four, grandchildren 12 and great grandchildren 8 . In 1836 he removed with his family from Garrard county, Ky. to a place near Canaan in Jefferson County, Ind. When that was a frontier settlement and the writer has often heard him speak of trading with the Indians on the spot where the little town of Canaan now stands. In 1830 he moved his family to Trimble county, Ky and in a few years purchased a farm in Carroll county, and moved on it in 1838, where he was living at the time of his death and on which he now lies buried near the dwelling, in a beautiful spot selected by himself years ago, 400 feet above the Ohio river on top of one of those rugged Kentucky hills that he loved so well. He was a man of more than ordinary intelligence in his day, a leader in the M. E. Church. Although born and educated in the midst of slavery he believed it to be wrong and opposed the institution from early youth, being a strong Union man during the late rebellion. He was one of the first to engage in the cultivation of fruits and vegetables for the Madison, Ind. Market and many of the older citizens can remember the large luscious peaches and fine melons he used to sell.

Henry Tumbrink, who has been suffering for some time with consumption, died on Friday (April 10) evening of last week and was buried Sunday. He was born and raised here. His wife who survives, with one small child, was Miss Agnes Stephens. It is her determination to break up house keeping and go to Louisville where her mother resides.
[Note: Stone reads "TUMBRINK, Henry; 1857 - 1885" in St. John's cemetery]

Mrs. Rachel Westrick, wife of Peter Westrick, Sr., died at her home on 6th Street last Saturday (Mar 2, 1895) at 1:30 o’clock after a protracted illness of consumption. Her age was 58 years. When 20 years of age she came to this country from Germany, her maiden name being Ader. On the ship as she came over was Mr. Westrick, as a young man, who was also emigrating to this country. They became acquainted and coming to Madison, Ind., were married. They came immediately to this county and never lived elsewhere afterward. They were quite successful, acquiring considerable property and maintaining most excellent characters. The deceased was a most exemplary woman. She was the mother of ten children, and nine of them being alive and grown - six sons, all married, and three daughters, all single.
Further particulars are given by the Locust correspondent.
Mrs. Westrick being a devout Catholic, the funeral took place from St. John’s church Monday morning at 9 o’clock, a large crowd of sympathizing friends being present. Requiem mass was held, Father Abmann, pastor of the church officiating. We regret to say the bereaved husband was so ill at the time that he could not attend the funeral.

Died at the residence of her son, Warner E. Pratt, in Madison, Ind. April 16th, 1885, of cancer of the stomach, Mrs. Elizabeth Whitehead, widow of the late G. G. Whithead, of this place. This most excellent Christian woman was comparative young, only 57 years of age at the time of her death. Mrs. Whithead was a daughter of Medley Shelton, formerly of this county, and lived here in her early youth; moving to Missouri when married a prominent lawyer of Edina--the father of Warner E. Pratt. After the death of her husband, and upon her marriage with Mr. G. G. Whitehead she moved to Carrollton, and for many years has lived among us. She performed the part of mother to the household which she entered, nursing and tenderly caring for, ..four grown daughters of Mr. Whitehead, all victims of consumption…Again widowed, Mrs. Whitehead made her home with her son, Mr. Pratt. Mrs. Whitehead was a faithful member of the Christian church. The remains were brought to this place [Carrollton] on the day following her death, and on the next day, Saturday, April 18th, her funeral was preached by Elder H. W. Elliott at the church. Loving friends accompanied her to her resting-place in the Odd Fellows' cemetery.

Return to Main Page

Surname Search Utility - - - - Marriage Search Engines

website statistics