- making genealogy simpler; a free genealogy surname research tool that reaches for data from all over.

Obituaries of Miscellaneous Educators

James S. (Jimmy) Maier, one of the leading lights in Haverford College soccer history, died on June 25 in Haverford, PA, aged 92. Maier, who had worked for Provident Bank of Philadelphia for 44 years, serving as trust officer and vice president, captained the 1928 Haverford soccer team for Coach Jim McPete, earning All-American recognition. Maier was a three-year regular at left halfback during a period in which the Fords went 11-4-4 against collegiate competition and 20-5-6 overall, including an undefeated 8-0-2 campaign in 1926 when Maier was a sophomore starter. Maier's three varsity seasons coincided with the first three years of the new Intercollegiate Soccer Association. Among the teams in that league which Maier helped Haverford vanquish were Lehigh, Penn, Cornell, Lafayette and Swarthmore. During World War II, Maier served in Australia, New Guinea and the Philippines, where he was in charge of dispensing rations to thousands of troops as an officer in the Quartermaster Corps. In the 1940s and 1950s he delivered coal to needy Philadelphians. Maier was a member of Haverford Friends Meeting. Maier obviously did not spend all his time at Haverford on the soccer field or in the classroom. His 1929 yearbook reported that "Westtown's model boy became the women's favorite," and references were made to visiting women's colleges from Maine to Maryland. Jimmy was also the manager of Haverford's musical clubs. But he won greatest respect for his soccer, about which sportswriters of the period said, "We could never understand how the light frail-looking Jimmy managed to hold his own on the halfback line, but we finally decided it was the old victory of brain over brawn. While [other players] always got their man, Jimmy always got the ball, which is more important...His work in soccer was marked by steady dependability which often verged on the brilliant. He made up for his slowness by an uncanny power to play his man and by his ability in feeding the forward line." Jim Maier's wife died in 1990. He is survived by two daughters, Marianna Maier Thomas and Cynthia C. Maier, and three grandchildren.

Marion Arthur died January 29, 1999, and is survived by his spouse, Hazel.

John H. Wills died on Monday, May 10, 1999, in Kennett Square, PA. He was the widower of Frances McKinnon Wills, who died in 1996. They had shared 60 years of marriage. After Haverford, John went on to receive a Ph.D. in chemistry from New York University. He was employed as a chemist with the Philadelphia Quartz Company for 37 years, until his retirement in 1972. He was a member of the Chester Friends Meeting and was also active for many years in the American Friends' Committee. He was a master beekeeper and an amateur photographer. He also co-authored several books on chemistry. He is survived by a son, Howard Wills; three sisters, Eleanor Keyersling, Margo Brown and Rebecca Hetzel; two grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

E. Rodman Shippen died March 18, 1999. He is survived by his spouse Julia.

Herbert I. Bijur, a longtime Stamford, CT, resident, passed away at Stamford Hospital on March 17, 1999, due to cardiopulmonary arrest. He was 88. Born in New York City on February 6, 1911, he was the son of the late Nathan and Eugenie Blum Bijur. Herbert enjoyed a successful career in retailing and publishing, culminating in the position of president with McCall's Pattern Company. He was an avid orchid grower, active at the New York Botanical Garden and Bartlett Arboretum in Stamford, CT. He we also a flutist, fisherman and Mark Twain collector. He enriched the lives of his family, friends and community. He is survived by his wife, Marion E. Halpert Bijur of Stamford; Peter Bijur of New Canaan, CT; Priscilla Bijur Kane of Manhattan; Polly Bijur of Hastings-on-Hudson; and eight grandchildren.

C. Gregg Singer, 88, of Salisbury, NC, died March 22, 1999. Dr. Singer was born in Philadelphia and graduated magna cum laude from Haverford. He went on to earn a master's and doctorate of philosophy from the University of Pennsylvania and a doctorate of divinity from the Atlanta School of Biblical Studies. He was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa academic honor society. During World War II, Singer was the director of the Illinois War Manpower Commission, and later served on the staff of the U.S. Senate Committee investigating Pearl Harbor. Singer was a professor at numerous colleges and universities, including Wheaton University, the University of Pennsylvania, Salem College, Belhaven College, Montreat-Anderson College, Catawba College, Furman University, the Atlanta School of Biblical Studies and the Young Life Graduate Institute. He was a noted speaker at academic and theological conferences, seminars and symposiums, and a sponsored lecturer of the Arthur B. DeMoss Foundation and the J. Howard Pew Foundation. For many years he was a commentator for various radio stations. Most recently, he was a professor of historical theology at the Greenvile Presbyterian Theological Seminary. Singer received awards from many organizations for his teaching and academic excellence and his community service, and was honored through the years by the accomplishments, loyalty, love and respect of thousands of his students. He was an ordained minister, and served as the supply or visiting minister at over 200 churches in Illinois, Colorado, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia and North Carolina. He also served as a chaplain at Rowan Regional Health Center and the Trinity Oak Retirement Center. During his academic and ministerial careers, which spanned more than 60 years, Singer wrote numerous books and served as co-author or contributing editor of numerous encyclopedias, compilations and other publications in the areas of United States history and politics, church history, theology and analyses of the works of John Calvin, Arnold Toynbee and Bornelius Van Til. His contributions to reformed theology and Presbyterian Church history continue to be used in colleges and seminaries. He was preceded in death by his wife, Marjorie F. Singer.

The Rev. Howard Aston Andrews died April 8, 1999, in MA. Born July 22, 1915, in Kingston, PA, he was the son of Reginald H. and Mabel Aston Andrews. He was educated at Girard College in Philadelphia, then Haverford and the Andover-Newton Theological Seminary in Newton Centre. Rev. Andrews served as full-time pastor for churches in Princeton, Stow, Swampscott, Andover and Berlin. While in Swampscott, he was a founder of the North Shore United Church Canvass of 100 churches and synagogues, which was featured in Life magazine. After retiring from full-time ministry, Rev. Andrews served part-time as an interim minister for various churches. He served for five years of active duty with the Army and Army Air Force as a chaplain in Europe and the United States. An active Army Reserve officer for twenty-six years, he retired as a lieutenant colonel. He leaves his wife Elizabeth Kneeland Andrews; a son, Edward S. Andrews of Nashua, N.H.; a daughter, Bonnie S. Lambert of Sterling; six grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

Thomas K. Brown, 82, a retired Howard University German professor who was also a short story author, died of pneumonia July 3 at Mariner Health nursing home in Kensington, MD. Brown taught at Howard University from 1969 to 1985. His fiction appeared in Esquire and Playboy under the pen name T.K. Brown III. Two of his stories were made into television movies. They were "Harpy," about a man who trains a tropical eagle to kill his wife, and "Haunts of the Very Rich," about a group of wealthy types duped into taking a vacation leading to their own deaths. Mr. Brown, who was born in Philadelphia, studied German at the University of Munich after Haverford. He worked as a broadcaster for the Office of War Information during World War II and was interpreter at the Nuremberg war crimes trials after the war. In the 1950's and early 60's, he and his wife, Carolyn, owned and managed a resort motel in the Florida Keys. In addition to his wife, survivors include a daughter and two grandchildren.

Dikran "Dik" Stepan Pakradooni of Bryn Mawr, a former executive of International Printing Co., died of prostate cancer at Bryn Mawr Hospital on August 19. He was 82. After his retirement from the printing industry, Mr. Pakradooni had spent the last 15 years of his life promoting worldwide travel in partnership with his wife, Ann, at their Bryn Mawr agency, Floating Fantasy Tours. Born and raised in Overbrook, Mr. Pakradooni enrolled at Episcopal Academy in 1923, where he was a top scholar, excelling in athletics as well as academics. Over the years, he served Episcopal in many capacities, including president of the alumni board of managers and secretary of the board of trustees. Dik belonged to the Church of the Redeemer and was a member of the Merion Cricket Club for 50 years. He was also a connoisseur of wines and was inducted into the International Chevaliers du Tastevin in 1964, achieving the rank of commandeur before he retired. Throughout his life, he was a lover of opera and light opera -- in particular Gilbert and Sullivan. He was devoted to his wife, family and friends, said Ann Pakradooni, his wife of 54 years. "He bent over backwards to help others and was always the first to visit a sick friend in the hospital," she said. She added that his strong will to survive and willingness to brave new medical procedures enabled him to live life to its fullest for the last ten years in spite of his cancer.

Laird H. Simons, Jr. died on July 14 in Wynnewood, PA, at the age of 81. He was the husband of Barbara Simons. A leather manufacturer, he spent his entire career with William Amer Co. He served as president of the family-owned business for 30 years. He also chaired the Tanner's Council of America. During World War II, he served in England and Ireland. Serving as a ruling elder and trustee, Mr. Simons was an active member of the General Assembly Council at the time of his death. A leader in the Greater Philadelphia community, Mr. Simons chaired the original board of trustees that founded the Community College of Philadelphia from 1964 to 1970. He worked for the United Way for years, chairing the annual fund drive. He ran the Salvation Army's capital improvement campaign and served as president of the Philadelphia Council of Boy Scouts. Mr. Simons served on the boards of PSFS/Meritor, Presbyterian Hospital and Haverford College. He was trustee emeritus of Princeton Theological Seminary after serving on its board for years. In addition to his wife of 52 years, Mr. Simons is survived by a son, Laird III '70; two daughters; a sister and three granddaughters.

Arthur Brown died on July 6, 1998.

Roy S. Vogt died May 25 at home surrounded by his family. He was 80. From 1954 to 1971 he was director of purchasing and administrative services at Princeton University. A founding member of Christ Congregation, he led the initial fund campaign for the church and served as chairman of the building committee and as a trustee. He was chairman of the Princeton chapter of the American Red Cross and president of the Rotary Club. In 1971 he became treasurer of Windham College in Vermont and in 1977 started Fitz-Vogt and Associates in Brattleboro, providing food services for small institutions in southern Vermont and New Hampshire. He served on the board of the Vermont Food Bank and of the Brattleboro Area Habitat for Humanity, and was an active member of the Dummerston Congressional Church.

John Edgar Bye died on February 28, 1999.

Douglas Zander died in October, 1998.

Robert M. Jacob died on July 31, 1999. He is survived by wife Helen (Bonnar) Jacob; sister Ruth J. and her husband Dr. Robert Kelley; and several nieces and nephews. Mr. Jacob was general counsel for Peoples Natural Gas, retiring in 1986. He was an ordained Elder in Presbyterian Church, USA, on the Board of Directors of Ligonier Camp and Conference Center of the First Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh, and also a member of Mcllory Lodge, Dormont, and Syria Temple. Robert was a graduate of the University of Michigan Law School. He took an avid interest in history and served as a Docent of the Pittsburgh Historical Society.

Alfred M. Pease, Jr. of West Hartford died at Hartford Hospital on Friday, April 16, 1999. He was the son of Alfred M. Pease and Sarah (Clement) Pease, and was predeceased by his wife, Patricia (Witbeck) Pease. "Alfie" and "Pattie" were known for their hospitality, entertaining their many friends in West Hartford, and in the summer in Bolton. Alfie was a member of the Hartford Golf Club, the Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford and of the Old Guard. For many years he sang tenor with the University Glee Club and the Beefeaters. He leaves his stepmother, Margaret Pease; a son, Robert W. Pease of West Hartford; a daughter, Susan Patterson of San Diego, CA; and three grandchildren, Barton and Samantha Pease and Morgan Patterson.

Ralph McKee Jr. died Sunday, June 27, at the age of 74. He made his home in Ben Avon, PA. McKee served in Scotland with the U.S. Air Force during World War II as a B-24 navigator, and graduated from Princeton University in 1948. He completed his law degree at University of Pittsburgh in 1951 and then practiced with the firm Alter Wright and Barron, which later became Sherard German and Kelly. He was a member of the Community Presbyterian Church of Ben Avon and the American Bar Association. He served on the board of directors for Presbyterian Senior Care, Avonworth School District and North Burroughs YMCA. He was a fellow in the American College of Trusts and Estate Council and was chairman of the professional ethics committee. He retired as a major in the U.S. Air Force Reserves. He is survived by his wife, Ann Reimers McKee; a son; two daughters; a sister and eight grandchildren.

John Miller died June 11, 1998.

Warren Moore, Jr. died May 26, 1998.

Leo Postrel died on May 3. Born in New York City, Postrel was a resident of Bucks County, PA, for the past forty-five years. He was a graduate of Penn State University, earning B.S. degrees in Pre-Medical and Industrial Engineering. He also attended Yale University. He was the financial administrator for the Jonathan Logan Corporation for over twenty years. He retired twelve years ago. He was a teacher of production control at Drexel University. Postrel was a member of Congregation Beth El, Yardley, and the Fifty-Five Plus Club. He served in the Army during World War II. Son of the late Phillip and Fannie Postrel, he is survived by his wife June Hendler Postrel; a son and daughter-in-law, Steven and Virginia Postrel of Los Angeles, CA; three daughters and two sons-in-law, Nancy and Jon Collins of NYC, Deborah and Ed Gamor of Sudbury, MA, and Pamela Postrel and companion Mindy Blum of Pasadena, CA.

Richard S. Johnson died in March, 1999.

David Seith died February 16, 1999. He is survived by his spouse Cassandra.

Peter F. Tapke died on June 11 at his home in Chestertown, MD. He was 68. He was Professor of Philosophy and Religion, Emeritus, at Washington College. In 1997 he retired from teaching after 35 years. In addition to teaching, his tenure at Washington College included founding the William James Forum, a distinguished lecture series, and a rowing program that developed into a competitive varsity athletic program. He assisted students wishing to study abroad by serving as adviser for the Manchester College Program at Oxford University and as chair of the college's Fulbright Committee. A native of Washington, DC, after graduating from Haverford with honors he spent a year on a Fulbright at the University of Louvain, Belgium, and then earned both master's and doctorate degrees from Harvard University. He began his teaching career at the College of William and Mary before accepting a position at Washington College. He is survived by several cousins and two half brothers.

A. Reid Allison Jr., died May 23 in Columbia, SC. His wife, Arlene Conner, survives him. Besides Haverford he also graduated from the Bowman Gray School of Medicine in NC. He was a longtime member of the Tyrone Hospital medical staff, where he served as medical staff president. He was a fellow of the American College of Cardiology and had recently been practicing as a locum tenens physician. In addition to Arlene, he is survived by three daughters, Cynthia Sowash, Vicki Abshere and Regina Brannen; two sons, A. Reid III and John; and eleven grandchildren.

Jim McMasters died on March 15, 1999. He had been living in Brazil for many years. (See page 24 for more on Jim.)

James R. Shuster died January 7, 1999, in Worcester, MA. Jim was professor of sociology at Framingham State College for twenty-four years. After graduating from Haverford Phi Beta Kappa and with honors in French, he did research in Morocco during 1958 and 1959 on a Ford Foundation grant. He received his M.A. (1959) and Ph.D. (1969) in sociology from Princeton. He taught at William and Mary, Wheaton College, and Kirkland College before going to Framingham State in 1975. He was a traveler and had a passion for public transportation, especially trolleys and railways.

John G. Wallace died June 18 in a Holyoke, MA, nursing home. He had lived in Holyoke for many years. A special assistant to the president of Hadley Falls Trust Company, he was the purchasing agent for Linweave Paper and later worked for Astro Chemical in Springfield. He leaves two cousins, Robert Wallace and Nancy Martens.

Paul L. Aiken Jr. died on April 22, 1999, in Philadelphia. Soulmate of Emely, proud father of Gwendolyn Ackerman and Martha Coffman, grandfather of their children, Catherine Ackerman and Rebecca and Peter Coffman, and admired father-in-law of Thomas Ackerman and Phillip Coffman. Survived by his sisters Audrey Owen and Virginia Gormley. Paul was a graduate of Atlantic City High School and the University of Pennsylvania as well as Haverford. He spent years overseas in Turkey and Thailand as a Ford Foundation specialist. Paul's life was devoted to developing the arts community in South Jersey. In 1977, Paul founded and developed South Jersey Regional Theatre until his retirement in 1993. He was a founding member and current president of the South Jersey Stage Company in Atlantic City. Jack Strotbeck '55 writes, "Paul was a good individual; he was a freshman while I was in my senior year at Haverford. I used to drive him between Margate and the College on several occasions back in those days. ... Paul and I grew up together, lived about four blocks from one another. Paul has two very nice sisters, a little younger than he, and a brother Dave who died a couple of years ago. Old friends from 'old' Margate."

Dr. Edwin Geyer Brown died September 11, 1999, in Leake County, MS, as a result of a private plane crash. He was 62 years old. After receiving his bachelor's degree from Haverford, he graduated from Temple University Medical School in 1963. Specializing in pediatrics, he was professor of pediatrics and attending physician at LSU Medical Center, Shreveport, LA, since 1990. Previously, he was assistant professor of pediatrics at Case Western Reserve University, professor of pediatrics and attending physician at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine of the City University of New York, professor of pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, and director of newborn medicine at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, and attending physician and director of pediatric rehabilitation services at Summit Hospital, Bossier City, LA. His memberships include the American Chemical Society; Society of Pediatric Research; Academy of Medicine and Academy of Sciences in New York; Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics; Sigma Xi, and the American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine. He also authored numerous publications on pediatrics. In addition to his mother, he is survived by his wife, Eugenia Sarett Brown; two daughters, Megan Layng and Katy Weston; two sons, Scott and Eric; two stepsons, Tommy Morrison and William Morrison; a sister, Mary Ann Copp; and 11 grandchildren.

Jeffrey Nordlinger Bumbrey, son of the late Rev. George and Carrie Bumbry, was born in Virginia on March 10, 1951. He departed this life into a peaceful sleep at the residence of Fred Rabel in Woodbury, NJ. Jeffrey received his public school education at Ralph Bunce School and King George High school. His love for books and history led him to earn masters' degrees in colonial history from the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, VA, and library science from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI. Jeffrey was a loving son, brother, nephew and friend to those who knew him. He leaves to mourn him Fred Rabel; three sisters, Carolyn Williams of King George, VA, Belinda Kenney of Dale City, VA, and Estelle Ferguson of Stafford, VA; two brothers, Gary Bumbry of Richmond, VA, and Brian Bumbry of King George, VA; three brothers-in-law, Danny Williams, Aubrey Kenney Jr., and Nathaniel Ferguson; a sister-in-law, Shawntain Bumbry; and a host of aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins and numerous friends.

Dorothy R. Stevens, 78, former conference director for Haverford, died June 17 in Silver Spring, MD. She had retired in 1984. Stevens, a resident of the Washington area off and on since the early 1940s, was a former educator and economist. She was executive director of the Fund for Open Information and Accountability in the 1970s, as well as executive director of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. She was a graduate of the City College of New York, her native city. She received a master's degree in education at Temple University, where she also was an assistant professor of education. She began her career in Washington as an economist with the National War Labor Board. She moved to Philadelphia in the mid 1940s to do organizing work there for the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America. Dorothy, an active Quaker, returned to Washington in the late 1950s to be program director for the Friends Committee on National Education. She was also training director in Washington for the National Council of Negro Women and staff director in 1966 of the White House Conference on Children and Youth. She accompanied her husband to a teaching assignment in Nigeria in the late 1960s and was an educational consultant to the Peace Corps. She was also executive secretary of the Nigerian Women's Committee and a delegate to the United Nations African Women's Seminar in Ghana. Mrs. Stevens lectured on women's and development issues at international conferences and wrote for magazines and professional journals. As executive director of the peace organization, which had campaigned for an end to the Vietnam conflict, she attended the 1975 signing of the peace accord between Vietnam and the United States.

Herbert K. Ensworth, 90, died on Wednesday, October 21, 1998, at Kendal of Ithaca. Dr. Ensworth was born in Warren, PA, and grew up in Philadelphia. He graduated from Haverford College and received his M.D. degree from the University of Pennsylvania. He was the college record holder in the 100- and 200-yard dashes in his day, and the captain of Haverford's first Middle Atlantic Conference track and field championship team in 1929. He interned at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, served a residency at the New York Hospital and became a research assistant at Bellevue Hospital. He went to Ithaca in 1942 to carry out a trial of the new influenza vaccine for the Army Influenza Commission. He served in the U.S. Army in France and Japan during World War II, advancing to the rank of Major. In 1946 Dr. Ensworth began the practice of internal medicine in Ithaca, during the course of which he was president of the staff of the Tompkins County Hospital and of the Medical Society of Tompkins County. He was the first internist in Tompkins County to be certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine. He served on the first advisory board of the Tompkins County Office for the Aging, as Chairman of the Health Committee and Public Issues Forum of the Senior Citizens Forum, and as president of the board of directors of McGraw House. He served as a deacon and elder at the First Presbyterian Church. He belonged to the National Railway Historical Society and was an avid opera buff. After his retirement, he became an accomplished woodworker. He was an official at Cornell Track meets for 45 years, receiving in 1990 the first Horace Shackelton Memorial Award for devotion to track and field. In 1992 he was elected life member of the Cornell Track Association and its Executive Board. He is survived by his wife of 63 years, Katherine Goodman Ensworth. He is also survived by his daughter and son-in-law, Anne E. & Jeremy B. Whitney of South Dartmouth, MA; his daughter, Susan E. Saltus of Morristown, NJ; six grandchildren, Katherine Whitney of San Francisco, CA, Kate Langford of Springfield, NJ, Susan Whitney of Pittsburgh, PA, Emily Hartshorne of East Sullivan, NH, Matthew Saltus of South Burlington, VT, Jonathan Saltus of Champaign. IL; two great-grandchildren, Robert Painter and Leyla Farzeneh. He is also survived by his nephew Donald Scarborough '59.

Brad Abernethy died on August 18, 1998, in Menlo Park, California. He was Chaplain and Professor of Bible at Rutgers University for 29 years. After graduating from Haverford, he received a B.D. from Colgate Rochester Divinity School in 1933. In 1933 he married Jean Beaven. They were a deeply devoted couple for 61 years. Mrs. Abernethy died in 1995. The Reverend Abernethy was pastor of the First Baptist Church, Columbia, MO, from 1935 to 1941. He served on the staff of the Federal Council of Churches of Christ in America (now the National Council of Churches) from 1941 to 1945 and then came to Rutgers. He was Chaplain until his retirement in 1974. During his last three years at Rutgers he was program director of the International Center. He is survived by three children: David B. Abernethy of Stanford, CA, William B. Abernethy of Wenham, MA, and Barbara A. Petersmeyer of La Canada, CA; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

J. Howard Morris died on July 3, 1998, at his home in Bratenahl, OH. He was 90 years old. At Haverford, Mr. Morris was the captain of the football team during his junior and senior years, playing lineman and fullback. He also competed in track and field, and his shot-put and discus records stood for decades. In 1987, Haverford's Alumni Association honored him with its award for distinguished volunteer service to the College. After graduation, Mr. Morris was a research engineer and director with Lincoln Electric Co. until he retired in 1974. One of his greatest accomplishments was developing a process for converting iron ore directly into iron powder. The technique was used for decades, and he was named the company's Man of the Year in 1956 for the achievement. He was also very active in his church, serving as, at one time or another, treasurer, deacon, trustee, and elder. Aside from his passion for yachting, Mr. Morris was also an avid ice skater; he performed with the Senior Sixteen and the Cleveland Skating Club for a number of years, and was president of the club in 1950. He was also a pilot, and went on flying vacations in Europe, Australia, and South America. On one flight near the Bahamas, he saw the small island of Exuma. He and his wife, Josephine, built a home there before electricity and phone service were available, and spent several months a year there for more than two decades. The two were married for 65 years before her death in 1997. Mr. Morris is survived by sons J. Lincoln, James H. '59, and Daniel; a daughter, Marjorie; nine grandchildren including Howard L. Morris '86; and three great-grandchildren.

J. George Butler died on September 21, 1998. After Haverford, he attended the Western Reserve School of Applied Sciences in Cleveland, Ohio. He was a social worker during the Depression. He entered Yale Divinity School in New Haven, CT. He received both a B.D. and M.A. from Yale University. After graduation he served a community parish in Myrtle Beach, CT, and became a student pastor to Summerfield Methodist Church in New Haven. After marrying June Hoffman in 1944, he moved to Hartford, where he served for 11 years at South Park Methodist Church. He worked on his farm in Halifax, VT, while serving two parishes in Rowe, CT, and Heath, CT. After five years, he was appointed to the Searing Memorial Methodist Church in Albertson, Long Island. He retired early, returning to farming in Halifax. While in Vermont, he became concerned about the proliferation of nuclear power, and wrote How to Build and Operate Your Own Hydro-Electric Plant. He also wrote Simpler Times, a book about growing up in the nation's capital. In 1993, he and his wife donated the land on their farm to the New England Humane Society of the United States. During his retirement in Vermont, he served the Town of Halifax on the planning commission, the Board of Civil Authority, and as the trustee of public funds. He was also recognized by the Grange for his service to the town. He also served as elected representative to the board of directors of the Vermont Electric Cooperative for many years and was president of the Windham County Humane Society at two different times. He is survived by his wife.

DuRelle Gage died on December 2, 1997. He lived in Mellon, NC.

Patrick Hodgkin, age 87, a teacher at Culver Military Academy for 38 years, died August 18, 1998. After graduating from Haverford, he earned another degree from Middlebury Graduate School in Vermont, and later studied in England at Oxford. In 1936, he married Ann D. Smith but was widowed when she died two years later. In 1942 he became a U.S. citizen. He was an Army Air Corps veteran, serving in Europe during World War II in a bomber group in the 8th Air Force stationed in England. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. In 1945, he married Margaret Mason Curtis and returned to teaching. While teaching at Culver Military Academy, he headed the English department and the fine arts department, and served as sailing master for the Academy's Summer Naval School, retiring in 1976. In 1984 he and his wife moved to Jamestown, RI. He was a member of the Jamestown Historical Society. An artist and writer, he co-authored a regular column in The Jamestown Press and a book of Jamestown history, Jamestown Affairs. He also wrote a collection of verse based on Old Testament stories. He was a member of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends and attended the Conanicut Friends Meeting in Jamestown. Besides his wife, he leaves three sons, Jonathan P. Hodgkin of Colchester, VT, Andrew M. Hodgkin of Barrington, VA, and Thomas C. Hodgkin of Colebook, CT; and four grandchildren.

Frank Siebert, 85, died January 23, 1998, in Bangor, ME. He graduated from the School of Medicine of the University of Pennsylvania in 1938. In addition to his medical career as a pathologist, Frank had a truly extraordinary second career in the linguistics of American Indian languages. This interest was pursued part-time during his professional work, and full-time after his retirement as a pathologist. He settled in Old Town, ME, because it is the center of the Penobscot Nation, which provided Frank access to the dwindling number of speakers of the Penobscot language. He was the last fluent speaker of the Penobscot language but he made sure the language that he loved did not die with him. He compiled a Penobscot dictionary, which has not yet been published. An issue of the Maine Historical Society journal was devoted to Siebert and his work, and Harvard University had a conference in Siebert's honor in October. "A great scholar has passed away today," said Harald Prins, an anthropology professor at Kansas State University. Prins, who taught at Bowdoin and Colby colleges and knew Siebert, said Siebert's work certainly will inspire future linguists. He said Siebert was meticulous, and published only a tiny amount of his work, "because he thought it was never good enough...The American Philosophical Society in Philadelphia will not only have his repository, but I also imagine at least two or three people will get their dissertations on the basis of Frank's work." Ives Goddard, a curator in the anthropology department at the Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History, once called Siebert "clearly the most brilliant and the most competent avocational linguist working on Native American languages that there has ever been, hands down." For decades, he paid for his own research, and finally received a $4,000 Guggenheim grant in 1969. The National Science Foundation awarded him with nearly $300,000 between 1979 and 1988. Siebert was, by all reports, a curmudgeon. He lived alone in Old Town and had little time for social niceties. "He was the quintessential scholar," Prins said. His work was his life and his philosophy was unique. "I'd like to be free," he told a reporter in 1996. "Free from shopping. Free from eating. Free from cooking. Free from nuisances and people calling you on the phone."

Hubert Taylor, age 82, of Southhampton, PA, died July 13, 1998, in Abington Memorial Hospital after a two-and-a-half year battle with cancer. Born in Philadelphia, son of the late Francis Richard Taylor and Elizabeth Richie Taylor, he was the fourth generation of Taylors to practice law in Center City Philadelphia, specializing in settling estates, banking and real estate. Philadelphia newspapers describe him as a "big-band-loving, ballroom-dancing fourth-generation Quaker lawyer." Born to a prominent Quaker family, Mr. Taylor attended Germantown Friends School and graduated from Westtown School in 1934. At Haverford, he was a soccer player and mainstay of the baseball team. Taylor's years at Haverford paralleled marked improvement in both teams. Captaining the 1937 soccer team, Taylor won all-American recognition and led the team to a 7-4 mark and a 26-5 goal advantage over such defeated powers as Navy, Penn, Cornell and Lehigh. The speedy Taylor also sparked the 1938 baseball team to a 6-4-1 record, one of the best of that HC diamond era, hitting .306 with two home runs and making only one error while blanketing the outfield running down fly balls. Taylor remained a big fan of Haverford athletic teams and often attended events, never reluctant to say what he thought but ultimately always supportive of the College for which he had played so well. After Haverford, he received his law degree from Temple University. During World War II, Mr. Taylor was a conscientious objector and served three-and-a-half years in Civilian Public Service as a road builder in New Hampshire, as an attendant in the men's violent ward of the Williamsburg, VA, State Mental Hospital, and as a smoke jumper in Montana. Mr. Taylor was a member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association and served on the board of directors of the Cheltenham National Bank, which his father started in 1924. He served on the board of directors of the Cheltenham Federal Savings and Loan, the Hillside Cemetery, and the William Penn Charter School. He was a financial supporter of many organizations including Tamanend Park, Southampton, the Walnut Street Theater, the Philadelphia Zoo and Emily's List. Mr. Taylor was an active alumnus serving as class correspondent, a fund raiser and admissions recruiter. He recently donated a grandfather clock that had been handed down through five generations of Taylors to the College Quaker Collection. In 1954 he and his late wife Dorothy moved to Bryn Gweled Homesteads, an intentional community in Southampton formed to allow people of different races and religions to live together cooperatively. Mr. Taylor was a lifelong member of Cheltenham Friends Meeting, which his parents founded, and recently joined the Southampton Meeting. He leaves two daughters, Elizabeth Savery Taylor and Daphne Plaisted Taylor; two sisters, Anne Taylor Bronner and Margery Taylor Thompson; and three grandchildren, Peter, Samuel, and Maxwell Taylor. He was the father of the late Geoffrey Rowell Taylor and brother of the late Esther Taylor Marshall.

Whittemore Whittier died on October 18, 1998, in Richland, WA. He left peacefully, as he lived. John Jaquette '39 said of Whit, "He was a gentleman &endash; except on the soccer field." Whit remained a loyal alumnus, speaking often of Haverford and the standards it represented. He is survived by his wife, Louisa Whittier, and son, Thomas N. Whittier '69.

Harry A. Heilman, Jr. died September 30, 1998.

Andrew Inglis, 78, a high-ranking official of RCA who helped pioneer digital radio technology, died July 20 at Manor Care Nursing Home in Sacramento, CA, with his wife at his side. He died of complications of several progressive diseases, family members said. Mr. Inglis worked for RCA for more than three decades. His last position was as president of RCA American Communications Inc. in Princeton, where he oversaw installation of a new system of radio transmission for ABC, CBS and NBC that produced major improvements in the quality of sound in the early 1980s. RCA American Communications also operated RCA satellites after they were placed in orbit and sold rights to use the communications satellites. Mr. Inglis developed and ran the satellite business for RCA, said Nicholas Pensiero, retired RCA director of public affairs for government and commercial systems. "He was a very bright and forceful communicator," Pensiero said. "He was a good salesman and an engineer. After World War II...he was one of the first new breed: the sales engineer. He was an amazing guy...and always a gentleman." Under Mr. Inglis' direction the RCA division also pioneered direct-from-satellite television and the RCA mobile radio business, Pensiero said. Mr. Inglis began working for RCA in 1953 as an engineer in closed-circuit television in Camden. After retiring in 1984, he remained active as a consultant in broadcasting and satellite communications. He also wrote the books Behind the Tube: A History of Broadcasting Technology, Satellite Technology and Video Engineering as well as numerous articles on the development of satellite and broadcast technology. He had been editor-in-chief of the Electronics Communications Handbook. He did engineering work at the University of Chicago where he was also an instructor. A World War II Navy veteran, he worked as a civilian at the Naval Research Center in Washington, D.C., from 1942-1943 and then served as a lieutenant from 1943 to 1946. While living in Moorestown, NJ, he was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, an elder and a member of the choir. He was active in community and civic organizations, including the Camden County United Way and the Chamber of Commerce of Southern New Jersey. He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Marie Adam Inglis; two sons, Andy Jr. and David; a daughter, Elizabeth Abreu; and nine grandchildren.

Douglas R. Hallett died October 23, 1998.

Kenneth Bache passed away on July 22 after a short fight with cancer. Kenneth had been living in Annapolis, MD, since 1986 after retiring from the U.S. Information Agency, where he served in a variety of posts and countries. He is survived by his wife of 38 years, Mary Frances Bache, and his children Carl Bache and Joanna Bache Tobin.

John H. 'Jack' Bush died on July 8, 1998, at his home in Cotuit, MA. He was 76. World War II interrupted his studies at Haverford and he served in the United States Naval Air Corps between 1943 and 1946. He joined the Air Force as a member of the 95th Squadron in France, flying 44 missions supporting General George Patton. He returned to Haverford and was awarded a B.A. in mathematics in 1948. After leaving Haverford he joined the Lovell Chemical Group in Watertown, MA, as a chemist. While there he was responsible for a membrane development program for possible defense measures against biological warfare. In 1954 he started the Millipore Corporation. Under his direction, Millipore played a crucial role in the development of technical instruments and equipment that helped launch the modern revolution in the biological sciences. The filters that Millipore developed are used throughout the world for water purification and analysis, public health, food processing and environmental monitoring. He was president of Millipore from 1954 to 1971, when he assumed chairmanship of the company, a position he held until his retirement. Elected to the Haverford Board of Managers in 1965, Jack served until 1968. During his term as a manager he served on the Resource Committee. Jack remained active in Haverford affairs after completing his term on the Board of Managers. In 1977 he was named the co-chair of the committee to endow the John R. Coleman Professorship of Social Sciences at Haverford, which was successfully funded and awarded to anthropology professor Wyatt MacGaffey in 1981. In addition, Jack served as a class deferred giving representative from 1981-1988, and was named co-chair of the Biology Department Committee in 1981. Through Jack's own generous support, the John and Barbara Bush Professorship of Natural Sciences was established and awarded in 1981 to Haverford biology professor Ariel Loewy. The chair is now occupied by physics professor Jerry P. Gollub. Throughout the years, Jack served on the boards of Read Corporation, Towle Manufacturing Company, Datamarine International Corporation and the Millipore Corporation. He enthusiastically embraced new business opportunities, including developing "Beefalo," a cross strain of Angus beef cattle and buffalo. Jack is survived by his wife, Virginia; daughters, Paula Bush Fagerhorn of Maui, HI, and Patricia Bush Scadding of Francestown, NH; sons, Peter of West Concord, MA, Timothy of Marblehead, MA, and Richard of Charleston, SC; a brother, Richard of Belmont, MA; and seven grandchildren.

George Montgomery Jr., 73, a 56-year resident of Poughkeepsie, NY, died on September 28, 1998. An obstetrician-gynecologist, he retired in 1994. He was the director of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and founder and director of the Family Planning Clinic at Vassar Brothers Hospital. He was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the International College of Surgeons. He was a member of the American Association for Maternal and Clinic Health and the New York State Conservation Council Inc. He was past division head of Dutchess County Community Chest and Council and a member of the Poughkeepsie Tennis Club and the Dutchess Country Golf and Country Club. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean War. He is survived by his wife, Joan Hatch Dunn; two sons, George Montgomery III of Manhattan and Gary Dunn II of Poughkeepsie; two daughters, Dana Dunn Cunningham of Colorado Springs, CO, and Carolyn Dunn of Saratoga Springs, NY; and two grandchildren.

John Whitman, 72, a retired psychiatric social worker who spent the bulk of his career as a Central Intelligence Agency analyst on Russian and European economic and political affairs, died November 8, 1998, at the Manor Care Nursing Home in Bethesda, MD. He had Parkinson's disease. John, a former newspaper reporter and editor and radio news broadcaster, joined the CIA in 1951 as an economic researcher and specialist on the former Soviet Union. He later became chief of the estimates staff and chief of the European division in the Office of Central Intelligence. Before his retirement from the CIA in 1980, he also served as a member of the U.S. SALT delegation, special assistant to the CIA director and associate chairman of the National Intelligence Council. He had overseas assignments in Frankfurt, London, and Geneva. John was born in Chicago. After graduating from Haverford, he received a master's degree in Russian studies from Harvard University. After receiving a master's degree in social work from Catholic University in 1982, he worked at the D.C. Institute of Mental Hygiene for 10 years until 1992. Survivors include his wife, Claire Whitman of Washington, D.C.; five children, Carol Whitman of Point Reyes, CA, Steve Whitman and Martha Tracy Whitman, both of Albuquerque, NM, and Anthony John Whitman and Christopher Matthew Whitman, both of Washington, D.C.; two stepchildren, Richard Allen Dysinger of Nyack, NY, and Carol Luise Dysinger of New York City; a brother and two grandsons.

Virgil Baldi, 70, a vice president with the executive recruiting firm of Korn Ferry International, died June 15, 1998, at his home in Greenwich, CT. Janet Shrauger Baldi, his wife, said the cause of the death was cancer. In his position with the recruiting firm, Mr. Baldi was responsible for senior level searches and board of director search engagements. Previously, he was a partner and director of Canny Bowen, where he conducted senior level executive search engagements, and was a management consultant for Booz, Allen and Hamiliton. During his early career, Mr. Baldi served as director of personnel for Raymond International. He also had been director of personnel for Brown Raymond Walsh, the prime contractor of the U.S. Navy responsible for the construction of the Spanish-American military facilities in Spain. In Greenwich, he was a former chairman of the administrative committee and the First Church of Round Hill and served in the church's outreach program for the homeless at Pacific House in Stamford, CT. Additionally, he served on the Wetland Committee for the town of Greenwich, and was a member of the Field Club of Greenwich. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a son, Mark Baldi of Bethlehem, PA; three daughters, Malaga Baldi of New York City, Rebeca Assad of Gatineau, Quebec, and Marta Schaffer of Hellertown, PA; and four granddaughters.

Robert Morris, 71, died August 14, 1998, in his home in Englewood, FL. He was an assistant vice president of Colonial First National Bank before retiring. He began his banking career with the Allenhurst National Bank and later joined the Long Branch Trust Company. After graduation from Haverford, he did postgraduate studies at Columbia University. He was a former president of Long Branch Community Adult School and the Long Branch Lions Club. His first wife, Shirley Mason Morris, died in 1992. Surviving are his wife, Wanda A. Morris; his two daughters, Susan J. Garrabrant of Brick, NJ, and Linda L. Morris of Old Bridge, NJ; and two grandchildren, Melissa and Jeremy Garrabrant.

Robert Parke, Jr., 71, died November 5, 1998, at his home in Alexandria,VA. He was a demographer who retired from the National Cancer Institute in 1991. Bob had mantle cell lymphoma, a form of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. He was born in Buffalo, NY. Bob served in the Army Air Forces at the end of World War II before attending Haverford. He received his master's degree in sociology at Columbia University and taught at Brown University and Muhlenberg College. He moved to Washington in 1959 to work at the Census Bureau, where he produced statistics on households and families. From 1970 to 1972, Bob was deputy director of the President's Commission on Population Growth and the American Future. In 1972, he was founding director of the nonprofit Social Science Research Center's Center for Social Indicators, a Washington-based research program to improve statistics on social well-being. He served in this capacity for 11 years. Later, he joined the staff at the National Cancer Institute where he surveyed available measures of community cancer prevention activities, such as smoking prevention and consumption of low fat, high fiber foods. He was peer review administrator for a year at NCI. After his federal retirement, Bob was a grants writer and program evaluation specialist for Fairfax County Alcohol and Drug Services. He was a consultant at Synetics for Management Decisions in Arlington, preparing reports on Hispanic education for the National Center for Educational Statistics. He was a fellow of the American Statistical Association and a member of the American Sociological Association. He was a deacon and former moderator of the Little River United Church of Christ in Annandale, where he led adult church school classes and wrote religious songs. He was president of the Civic Association of Hollin Hills in 1969. Survivors include his wife, Anne Sangree Parke of Alexandria; three children, Jean Sangree Parke of Arlington,VA, Mary Boyton Parke of Alexandria and Robert Bradford Parke of North Wilkesboro, N.C.; two brothers-in-law, Charles Sangree '46 and M. Huyett Sangree, Jr. '55; and other family members including nephew Carl H. Sangree '79.

David Philips died at his home in Willmantic, CT, at age 71. He was an author, folklorist, and professor of English at Eastern Connecticut State University from 1962 to 1991. He wrote a book in 1986 called Legendary Connecticut about the history and folklore of the state where he himself was almost a legend for being a marvelous storyteller. He was born in Wilkes Barre, PA, and upon graduation from Haverford, received his master's degree from Johns Hopkins University.

Richard Segal died on October 29, 1998, after a two-year fight with cancer. He lived in Jenkintown, PA, and was a partner in the legal firm Dilworth Paxson LLP, where he specialized in employee benefits law. Firm chairman Joe Jacovini and managing partner Steve Harmelin noted that "Dick's gallantry, integrity and professionalism were a source of pride to everyone in this firm and to all of his family and friends." His wife, Fredda, recalls, "Once Dick told me that perhaps the best way to spend one's life might be to teach and live at Haverford College." In addition to his wife, Dick is also survived by his brother, Arthur Segal '50 and his sons, Bruce Segal '83 and Gary Segal.

Robert Hammond III, 68, died October 18, 1998, at his home in Washington, DC, of complications from Lou Gehrig's disease. He was a former Department of Justice antitrust lawyer who was a partner in the firm of Wilmer Cutler and Pickering. He was a partner at the firm from 1971 until his retirement in 1996. He was then of counsel to the firm and retained that title until his death. His professional work extended beyond antitrust law and involved environmental conservation and low-income housing. In the early 1980s, he worked with environmental organizations to block the construction of a hydropower project in Maine. He received his law degree from Harvard University and began his legal career in 1956 as an antitrust attorney for the Justice Department. In 1961, he joined the Federal Trade Commission, working first as a legal assistant to the commissioner and then as chief of the merger division. He returned to the Justice Department in 1956, serving in senior positions, including chief of the evaluation section, director of policy planning and deputy assistant attorney and acting assistant attorney general for antitrust. Over the years, he helped develop Justice Department policy and litigation for reviewing bank mergers. He was past president of the board of directors of Friends Housing Trust, which both builds and manages low-cost housing in the Washington area. Survivors include his wife, Susan Webb Hammond (BMC '54) of Washington; two children; a brother; and two grandsons.

Edward N. 'Ted' Hibberd Jr., 68, died November 8, 1998 in Philadelphia after a short battle with lung cancer. He lived in Strafford, PA, and was a leader in benefits administration and health policy. Ted is survived by his wife, Becky Harris Hibberd. He traced his Quaker ancestry to the early 1690s in this country and was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. Immediately after college he graduated from the Naval Officers Candidate School in Newport, RI, and served in Korea and the European Theater as a gunnery officer aboard the destroyer USS Willard Keith. After the war he joined the Bell Atlantic Telephone Co. of Pennsylvania. When he retired in 1985, he was directing a broad spectrum of employee benefits and services. He subsequently served as president of the Delaware Valley Business Coalition on Health, an affiliate of the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce. The coalition was an organization of major companies in the area working on issues of health care costs, quality and efficiency. He also worked as a health policy consultant, assisting providers and insurers as well as local and state government officials. Ted was a founder and president of the PENJERDEL Employee Benefits Association and an initial developer with Pennsylvania Blue Shield, now the Keystone Health Plan. During the past 20 years he was active in related aspects of health care policy and administration. He was appointed by Gov. Thornburgh to the Statewide Health Coordinating Council of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and helped to develop legislation which resulted in the Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Act. He served as president and as a member of the Governing Board of the Health Systems Agency of Southeastern Pennsylvania, the Boards of Directors of the Philadelphia Health Planning Association, the Delaware Health Care Coalition and the Health Care Alliance of Harrisburg and the Health Care Committee of the Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Ted was also a member of the corporation of Pennsylvania Blue Shield and the Highmark Inc., where he was also a member of the Medical Review Committee and the Subscriber Advisory Council. A 25-year resident of Strafford, he was a member of St. Martin's Episcopal Church, where he served as a member of the Vestry. He served as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Haverford School and as president of the Haverford School Alumni Association. He enjoyed spending time with his family, gardening and English history and literature. In addition to his wife, he is survived by four sons, Edward, Blaine, Owen and Peter.

Frederick W. Millspaugh Jr., 66, of Naples, FL, died November 8, 1998, at Hospice of Naples. He previously lived in Haddonfield, NJ, for more than 60 years. He graduated from Temple University School of Medicine in Philadelphia in 1957. His general residency was spent at Lancaster General Hospital in Lancaster, PA. He was certified in 1957 by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Dr. Millspaugh worked as an obstetrics /gynecology physician at various hospitals, including Cooper and West Jersey Hospitals, and as an obstetrics /gynecology surgeon at the Summit Surgical Center in Voorhees, NJ. He was a member of the American Medical Association, the New Jersey Medical Society, the Camden County Medical Society, the American College of Obstetrics /Gynecology and the New Jersey Obstetrics /Gynecology Society. He was a lifelong member of Grace Episcopal Church of Haddonfield, NJ. He is survived by his wife, Janet Brown Millspaugh, of Naples; three sons, David Millspaugh of Pennsauken, NJ, Frederick Millspaugh 3rd of Brick, NJ, and James Millspaugh of Cherry Hill, NJ; a daughter Nancy M. Cohn of Haddonfield, NJ; step-daughters Jill Boorman of Jenkintown, PA, and Amy Benson of Hookset, NH; sister Margaret Millspaugh Shetka of Tucson, AZ; and seven grandchildren.

John Steely, Jr. died suddenly on March 5, 1998. He had a long career in computers and data processing. Taking early retirement from IBM in 1987, he and his wife Jessie Sloane Steely (BMC '55) moved to Florida, where John devoted himself to working on his antique motor yacht. They took several long cruises and spent last winter living aboard it in the Florida Keys. John leaves three sons, John, Adam, and William; and four grandchildren.

Margaret (Shanks) Nelms died at her home in England on July 17, 1998. For some fifteen months she had been suffering from renal cancer. During that time her dignity and courageous approach to her disease inspired her family, friends, and nurses. A keen lover of all mankind, she was busy creating loving relationships with her nurses up to the last few days of her life, showing great interest in their lives and conveying a loving care for them. Ms. Nelms graduated from the University of Toronto in 1944, but returned in 1948 to gain her BSW. After working with delinquent girls and unmarried mothers in Ontario, she studied at Haverford, where she gained a master's in Social and Technical Assistance. She then went to Mexico and worked on a U.N. fundamental education project where, after one year, she contracted a serious form of hepatitis, requiring her to be repatriated to Canada. In the late 1950s, she worked in England with the Quaker-inspired Family Service Units, undertaking what was then an advanced approach to family social work in the east end of London. After marrying Ted Nelms in 1959, Ms. Nelms accompanied him to Nyasaland (now Malawi), in central Africa, where she worked in social development projects designed to enable village families to improve their nutrition and health. Margaret became involved in helping young Malawian people gain admittance to university education in Canada as part of her commitment to a belief in African nationalism. One of her protégés became secretary to former Malawian President Banda and his cabinet. On her return to the U.K. in 1976, Ms. Nelms returned to social work, this time specializing in work for the elderly, before she retired in 1987.

Roy Fitzgerald died on September 18, 1998. He taught English in Jersey City, NJ, since 1992, first at Snyder High School and later at Lincoln High School. He also taught summer school at Ferris High School and was the coordinator of the English/Humanities Magnet. Previously, he worked as a software analyst for Schenkers International. Roy was a member of the National Council of Teachers of English and of Phi Delta Kappa Teaching Fraternity. Among numerous awards he received for teaching was the Community Service Award for Education, presented to him by the NAACP, Jersey City Branch. He is survived by his mother, Ruth Fitzgerald; two sisters, Mary Cardwell and Dorris; three brothers, Ulysses, Cleo and Raymond; six nieces; nine nephews; and friends Doris and Michele Massey, Annie Demitus and John Haggenmiller.

André Weil, professor of mathematics at Haverford in the 1940s, died on August 6, 1998, in Princeton, NJ. He was one of the great mathematicians of the age, known for his pungent phrasing and whimsical individuality. Dr. Weil, a Paris-born intellectual who was a professor emeritus at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, was credited with laying the foundations for important areas of modern mathematics and with exercising vast influence on the development of both mathematics and other areas of science. Imbued with a desire for intellectual rigor, Dr. Weil founded a group of French mathematicians who recodified the foundations of their discipline. Early in his career he taught in India, and he knew the celebrated apostle of nonviolence Mohandas K. Gandhi. Later, he taught in Brazil and at the University of Chicago, and he once provided a chapter to a book by the famed anthropologist Claude Levi-Strauss, on the algebra of marriage and kinship. Dr. Weil jotted down one of his best known proofs while he was being held in a French military prison at the outset of World War II. As a mathematician, Dr. Weil was hailed for bringing together number theory and algebraic geometry. He was credited with laying the groundwork for such areas as the theory of modular forms, automorphic functions and automorphic representations. Some of his work has found application in elementary particle physics and in the development of modern mathematical cryptography. Dr. Weil's wife died in 1986. Survivors include daughters Nicolette Schwartzman and Sylvie Weitzner, and three grandchildren.


Death Records

Cemetery Records

Obituary Records

Marriage Records

Birth Records

Divorce Records

Vital Records

Obituary Links Page


I want to look for information about this surname:

You must use the SUBMIT button;
hitting ENTER will not work!


Click the rocking G to search this site.


website statistics