Obituaries of Miscellaneous Educators
Charles Sloat died at the age of 99 on April 7, 1998. For more than 50 years Sloat served as a Sunday school teacher, superintendent, and historian for the Orrtanna United Methodist Church. He was a 50-year member and former president of the American Chemical Society, and a founding member of the Skeptical Chemists Society. Charles also held memberships with the Society of Metals, American Association for the Advancement of Science, Photographic Society of America, American Holly Association, Men's Interfaith Luncheon Group, and AARP 1776. Sloat served with the U.S. Army during World War II, and was a military governor of Lankdreis-Cologne from 1944-46. In addition to his degree from Haverford, Sloat received a Ph.D. in chemistry from Princeton University. For more than 40 years he was a professor of Chemistry at Gettysburg College, and was honored with the dedication of the Sloat Library in his name. Sloat is survived by his wife of 51 years, Marion Biggs Sloat.
Winthrop Leeds died on March 11, 1998 in Ocean View, New Jersey. He was born on August 18, 1905, in Moorestown, NJ. He went to work for Westinghouse in 1926 after graduating from Haverford College. He received his MS and Ph.D. in physics and electrical engineering from the University of Pittsburgh in 1930 and 1945, respectively. Westinghouse awarded Dr. Leeds the Benjamin G. Lamme Scholarship for graduate study which he carried out at Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1937. He was awarded the Lamme Medal in 1971 by the Institute of Electronic Engineers. During his long career as a high voltage circuit breaker designer and developer, Dr. Leeds received 100 patents on his inventions and was the recipient of three special patent awards in 1941, 1952 and 1966. He wrote 19 papers for IEEE, one paper receiving a National Prize Award and another a District Prize Award. For two years Dr. Leeds served as chairman of the AIEE Research Committee. For many years Dr. Leeds had been a Fellow of the Institute and was a Life Member. Among his outstanding accomplishments were significant contributions to the design of the 287 kV oil circuit breakers for the Hoover Dam, the widely used 345 kV transmission line circuit breakers, as well as the first 500 kV circuit breakers installed in the United States on the Virginia Electric Power Company system. These latter breakers, as well as many others for which Dr. Leeds was responsible, utilize the unique properties of sulfur hexaflouride gas for both insulating and arc quenching functions. He assisted in the development on breakers for 765kV on the AEP power system. Some of the administrative positions held by Dr. Leeds included Manager, Circuit Breaker Development; Manager, Switchgear Long Range Development; Manger, Power Circuit Breaker Engineering; and Manager, New Products Engineering. He also served as President of the Westinghouse Engineers Society. For the two years prior to his retirement, Dr. Leeds was Consulting Engineer for the Power Circuit Breaker Division. He retired in September of 1970 after 44 years with Westinghouse Electric Corporation. After retirement, he enjoyed many years of golf, bridge, travel, and ham radio.
Samuel Cook died on April 12, 1998 at the Brookwood Retirement Community in Blue Ash, OH at the age of 91. Rabbi Cook built the youth affiliate of American Reform Judaism into a national force with 20,000 members in about 500 branches around the country. He led the teen-age movement of the Reform Jewish Union of American Hebrew Congregations for 21 years. The group, known as the North American (formerly National) Federation of Temple Youth, began in 1939. Rabbi Cook, an Army chaplain during World War II, was invited to become the federation's director in 1946 and led it until retiring in 1967. He started its regional conferences, national camp leadership institutes, study retreats, arts festivals, publications and international exchanges, particularly with Israel. Samuel Cook was born in Philadelphia. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa in 1927 from Haverford College and was student president at Hebrew Union College in Cincinnati, where he was ordained and received a doctor of divinity degree in 1934. That year he was named director of the new B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation at the University of Alabama. Before becoming an Army chaplain, he filled rabbinical assignments in Philadelphia and Altoona, PA. As the head of the Reform Jewish youth group, whose members range in age from 15 to 18, he fostered links with Reform congregations throughout North America. The group engages its members in worship, Hebrew study, other education, community service and social activism. It also offers semester-long student exchanges among the United States, Canada and Israel. Under his leadership the group was also involved in projects with Christian youth groups at the local level. Rabbi Cook is survived by his wife, Ray M. Cook; two sons, Michael J. '64, of Cincinnati, and Joel D. '69, of Charlotte, Vermont, eight grandchildren, and nephews Daniel J. Cook '60 and David G. Cook '64.
Frederick Peck died of heart failure at his Chestnut Hill home on March 7, 1998 at the age of 88. He designed many of the finest private gardens on the East Coast and such public spaces in Philadelphia as Fairmount Park's Azalea Garden (by the Art Museum) in 1952 and Pastorius Park in Chestnut Hill in 1934. Born in Wayne, PA, Mr. Peck attended Haverford and the University of Pennsylvania, receiving degrees in architecture and landscape architecture from Penn in 1933. During World War II, he served as a captain in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, designing airstrips and bases, first for the Royal Air Force in the Caribbean, and then for U.S. forces in the Philippines. In addition to his private practice, Mr. Peck taught landscape architecture at Penn, the University of Georgia, and at the Barnes Foundation in Lower Merion. He wrote articles for House and Garden, American Country Life and other publications. For many years, he served on the boards of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Chestnut Hill Hospital, the Morris Arboretum, the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, Springside School and the Friends of the Wissahickon. Mr. Peck was awarded the Buckley Medal of the Garden Club of America in 1964 and the Gold Medal of the Philadelphia Flower Show for his work as the designer of the show that year. He contributed designs for public spaces at Chestnut Hill Hospital and Springside School for the Chestnut Hill Community Association. He was the lead designer for Hickory Run State Park in the Poconos. He was one of only a small number of men ever elected a member-at-large of the Philadelphia Committee of the Garden Club of America in recognition of his lifelong contributions to horticulture. Mr. Peck's wife, Matilda, died in 1985. He is survived by a son, Robert; daughter, Susan Wilmerding; brother and sister; and three grandchildren.
Barrett Parker died February 21, 1998 at the Maine Veterans Home in Augusta. Parker earned degrees from Haverford and Harvard University in English literature. He began his career working for Little Brown & Co. and the Harvard University Press. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Force, rising from a private to a major. He received the U.S. Army Commendation Medal and was awarded a Chevalier Legion D'Honneur by the French government for his public relations work immediately after the end of hostilities. Parker's work in France after the war encouraged him to join the foreign service in 1947. Serving in Johannesburg, London, Tehran, Kabul, Addis Ababa, Abidjan, and Ottawa, he held various positions in cultural and public affairs. Parker retired in 1970 in Washington, D.C., and began teaching at a boys' school and lecturing for the English department at American University. He later moved to Brunswick, ME, where he served the Central Senior Citizens in Augusta, and on a committee for the Episcopal Bishop of Maine. He is survived by his wife, Pamela Mary Smeeton Parker, and his son, Hugh Parker.
Albert H. Strong died May 24, 1998 in Cromwell, Connecticut at the age of 88. Born in Brooklyn, NY, he was a former resident of South Yarmouth, Massachusetts, moving to Cromwell in 1984. He was employed by the City of Hartford for 16 years, retiring as assistant architect. He was a member of the Rocky Hill Congregational Church, a life member of the Connecticut Mayflower Descendant Society and a former member of the Choral Club of Hartford, and was active in several choral groups. He is survived by his wife, Dorothy VanVorst Strong; two daughters, Susan Richardson of Springfield, IL, and Jane O'Leary of Galaway, Ireland; two grandchildren; a niece, and a nephew.
DuRelle Gage died on December 8, 1997.
George E. Dutton, Jr. died May 11, 1998 in Christian Care in Wilmington Hospital. Mr. Dutton was senior trust officer of the PNC Bank in Delaware before retiring in 1976. Previously, he was employed by the original Equitable Trust Company of Wilmington. He was a 1931 graduate of the Friends School of Wilmington, a 1935 graduate of Haverford College and a 1937 graduate of the Harvard University Business School. He was a Navy veteran of World War II in the Mediterranean theater. Dutton was a member of the Wilmington Y's Men's International Club, where he served as president in 1953 and as secretary in 1976. He was an avid golfer and was a member of the Wilmington Country Club and the Kennett Country Club. His wife, Eleanore Hamilton Dutton, died before him. He is survived by two cousins, James Martin of Baltimore, MD, and John G. Ally of Lexington, KY.
Charles E. Holzer, Jr. died February 12, 1998 at the Holzer Medical Center in Gallipolis, OH. He was an eminent and beloved physician, founder of the Holzer Medical Clinic, and President Emeritus of the Holzer Medical Center medical staff. Dr. Holzer was born in Gallipolis on August 7, 1916, to Dr. Charles E. Holzer, Sr. and Alma Vornholt Holzer. After his basic schooling in Gallipolis, he graduated from Mercersburth Academy and Haverford College. At Haverford, he was captain of the football team, held the Mid-Atlantic title for the 100-yard dash, and was later honored as an outstanding alumnus. He graduated second in his class from Cornell Medical School. Dr. Holzer's surgical training was completed at the University of Cincinnati, where he later became associate professor. He returned to Gallipolis to work with Dr. Charles E. Holzer, Sr., who had founded the Holzer Hospital more than 30 years earlier and who, with his wife, Alma, gave the Gallipolis area the Hospital, the first Holzer School of Nursing and the Our House Museum. Dr. Holzer is recognized for his leadership and achievements in the field of medicine, and in many areas of education. He was a member and chairman of the Board of Ohio University, a board member of the University of Rio Grande, and of Stuart Hall in Staunton, Virginia. He served on a Governor's Task Force for Medicine and was an examiner on the Board of Surgery. He served on committees for improving education in Gallipolis and Gallia County, and on the board of the Holzer School of Nursing and the Holzer Hospital Foundation. In 1989, the Grand Masters of Masons in Ohio presented him the Citizenship Award for Outstanding Community Service. Dr. Holzer was very active in the Episcopal Church, serving as a local lay reader an on several diocesan boards. Dr. Holzer was well-known for his dedication to civil rights, preventing nuclear proliferation, protecting the environment and eliminating poverty. He inspired loyalty and excellence because of his conviction that each member of the hospital community is as important as any other in achieving the goal of quality care. For most, however, he will be remembered for his devotion to his patients. Dr. Holzer's personal avocation was running, which he began at the age of 60. He participated in 13 marathons and numerous shorter races. In 1940, Dr. Holzer married Roberta Wilhelm, and they have five children: Karin O'Neil of Easthampton, MA; Charles E. Holzer III '64 of Galveston, TX; John W. Holzer of Richmond, Indiana; Christiana Gallant of Marshfield, WI; and Amy Irvin of Westerville, OH. They have 11 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Two sisters survive, Christine Harvey and Elizabeth Reynolds. He is also survived by spouses of the children, and a host of well-loved nieces, nephews and friends. In addition to his parents, a brother Richard Holzer, and a sister, Louise Brink, preceded him in death.
S. Sturgis Poorman, 82, died March 7, 1998 at Bryn Mawr Hospital, Bryn Mawr, PA. Dr. Poorman saw patients in his Ardmore home for 42 years before retiring in 1988. He liked the variety of general medicine practice, also treating student athletes in Lower Merion schools, employees at the National Sugar Refinery in Philadelphia, and elderly residents at the Rosemont Presbyterian Home. Raised in Narberth, Dr. Poorman played center on Lower Merion High's first state championship basketball team in 1933. He set the high-jump record at Haverford College before graduating with a chemistry degree in 1937. After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in 1941, he served in the Army's 75th Infantry Division, 375th Medical Battalion at a field hospital. His work under pressure during the Battle of the Bulge earned him the Bronze Star Medal. Dr. Poorman was a member of First Presbyterian Church in Ardmore. He is survived by his wife of 54 years, Christine Freeland Poorman; sons S. Sturgis Jr. '67, John '72 and Donald '78; a niece; and five grandchildren.
Louis Henry Palmer, Jr., 80, a retired general surgeon, died of heart failure at his home in Stuart, Florida on May 11, 1998. He had previously lived in Bryn Mawr. Dr. Palmer practiced for nearly 35 years at Bryn Mawr Hospital, where he also served as chief surgeon in the 1960s and 1970s. He retired in 1977 and moved to Florida. Born in Philadelphia, Dr. Palmer graduated from Haverford in 1939 and earned a medical degree from Thomas Jefferson University. Surviving are his wife of 25 years, Ottolee Frederickson Palmer; two sons, Robert L. and Thomas J.; a sister; and five grandchildren.
Edward Burroughs Irving, Jr., died from lung cancer on March 6 at the University of Cincinnati Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio at the age of 75. He was a retired professor of English at the University of Pennsylvania and an eminent scholar of medieval English literature. Dr. Irving, or Ted, as he was more familiarly known, grew up in Germantown and was enrolled at The William Penn Charter School in Germantown in the fall of 1929. He "skipped" first grade and later graduated with honors in 1940. Ted Irving entered Haverford College the following fall. While at Haverford, he was active in the Cap and Bells (the dramatic society) and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Dr. Irving obtained his bachelor's degree from Haverford in 1944. He then joined the U.S. Marines and served in Guam. After the war, he married Marion Kirk of Swarthmore, and the couple moved to New Haven, Conn., where Ted entered the graduate school at Yale University. At Yale, he obtained a master's degree and doctor of philosophy degree in English. Dr. Irving's doctoral thesis was entitled, "The Old English Exodus." While living in New Haven, his three children were born. He was Instructor of English at Yale from 1949 to 1954, when he was named Assistant Professor. Ted Irving accepted a tenured position in the English department at Penn in 1960. The family moved to Swarthmore and occupied a home for many years on Harvard Avenue. In the mid-1960's, the Irvings joined the Swarthmore Monthly Meeting. For many years, Ted served on various committees and chaired the discussion forums. Dr. Irving was a direct descendant of Morgan Morgan, a Quaker who came to Pennsylvania in the late 17th century from Gwynedd, Wales. During his career, Dr. Irving became a leading scholar on the epic poem Beowulf. Two of his books, A Reading of Beowulf, Yale University Press, 1968, and Introduction to Beowulf, Prentice-Hall, 1969, are considered classics in their field. A third book, Rereading Beowulf, University of Pennsylvania Press, was published in 1989. Dr. Irving also co-edited a book, Old English Studies in Honour of John C. Pope, Toronto University Press, 1974. He belonged to the Modern Language Association and the International Society of Anglo-Saxonists. Dr. Irving lectured on Beowulf on various occasions, including King's College London. In 1988, he delivered the principal keynote lecture at the Old English Colloquium at the University of California, Berkeley. At Penn, Ted Irving served a term as undergraduate chairman of the English Department from 1979 to 1983. In 1982, he married Judith Moffett, a poet and teacher at Penn. Ted and Judy enjoyed many common interests, including gardening, traveling and, of course, literature. They spent a year in London, England as visiting teachers. After his retirement in 1993, Ted and his wife moved to Salt Lake City where they enjoyed hiking and cross-country skiing. "Gaffner," as he was known by his grandchildren, made regular visits back East to see his family. They moved to Cincinnati, Judy's home town, in December 1997. They had also bought a tract of land in Kentucky where they were planning to build a log cabin home. Dr. Irving was the son of the late Edward Burroughs and Berta Rea Irving. He is survived by his wife, Judith Moffett; two sons, Andrew M. (Sandy) Irving '70 of College Park, MD, and Edward B. (Terry) Irving III '73 of Bethesda, MD; and a daughter, Alison Irving Hall of Arlington Heights, IL. He is also survived by six grandchildren, Christo, Katy, Charlotte, Peggy, Megan and Erin, and by a brother, Robert Irving of New York.
Harvey Wigfield died of a stroke at Bryn Mawr Hospital, Bryn Mawr, PA on December 18, 1997. He was a retired insurance executive from Radnor. He is survived by his wife of 50 years, Susan O. Wigfield. Born in Patterson, NJ, he attended the Hun School in Princeton, NJ and graduated from Haverford in 1944 after serving in the Army during World War II. He was a member of the St. Andrews Society and the Society of St. George. He was also active in the Big Brother Association. In addition to his wife, he is survived by his sons, Bruce M. and Richard O.; his daughter, Anne W. Rinaudot; and four grandchildren.
Joseph P. Morris, Jr. died April 16, 1998. Morris was a founding member of the College's C.C. Morris Cricket Library Association. His service abroad during World War II was extensive. Prior to American involvement, Morris served as a volunteer ambulance driver for the American Field Service attached to the British army. Later, in Italy, he was wounded by a shell as he and another volunteer were tending to an injured soldier. In addition, he volunteered in the Mideast and Africa, and was cited by the British, U.S., and Italian governments for his service. Morris dedicated his life to service and philanthropy, particularly for cultural, educational, and historical societies. He was a member of the Church of the Redeemer of Bryn Mawr. In addition, he held memberships with the Sons of the Revolution, Colonial Society of Pennsylvania, Welcome Society, Military Order of Foreign Wars, and Society of the War of 1812. He is survived by his wife of 43 years, Rebecca Polk Darnall Morris; his daughters, Sarah Polk Wistar Morris and Martha Elizabeth Morris DiCredico; and two grandchildren.
William F. Haines died March 4, 1998 in Paoli, PA. Haines was a practicing general physician and allergist in Malvern, PA. He earned his medical degree from Jefferson Medical College. He is survived by his niece, nephews and a cousin.
Charles Bernheimer died on February 21, 1998 from pancreatic cancer in Berkeley, California. He was an influential writer and scholar of Romance languages and comparative literature. Born in Bryn Mawr on August 16, 1942, Charles Bernheimer received his B.A. magna cum laude in 1963 with highest honors in English. After studying at Gottingent for a year in 1964, he moved to Hartford for his M.A. (1966) and Ph.D. in comparative literature (1973). He joined SUNY/Buffalo as an assistant professor of English and comparative literature, and moved to Penn as a full professor in 1988. During his time there, he served as chair of the Program in Comparative Literature and Literary Theory. He is the author of two books, Flaubert and Kafka: Studies in Psychopoetic Structure (Yale 1982) and Figures of Ill Repute: Representing Prostitution in Nineteenth-Century France (Harvard 1989), which is to be published in France in translation under the title Esthétiques de la prostitution: De Balzac à Picasso. In addition to publishing numerous articles and book chapters he was the editor of three other books &endash; one of them entitled In Dora's Case: Freud-Hysteria-Feminism in collaboration with Claire Kahane (Columbia 1985). He was working on a book called Decadent Subjects at the time of his death, and he had just edited, in collaboration with Richard Kaye, a collection of essays entitled The Queen of Decadence: Salome in Modern Culture, which will be published by the University of Chicago Press. He was the recipient of many honors and grants including a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1984 and an ACLS Fellowship in 1990. Dr. Bernheimer's work was focused especially on cultural studies and psychoanalytical criticism. He was an active member of the American Comparative Literature Association and was head of the committee that wrote an important report on the state and status of comparative literature in the twentieth century &endash; a report that resulted in his edited book Comparative Literature in the Age of Multiculturalism (Johns Hopkins 1995). He is survived by his wife, Dr. Olga Matich, professor of Russian literature and culture at UC Berkely; his mother, Gladys Bernheimer and his sister, Cecilia Bernheimer.
George A. Sargent III died February 18, 1998 in his home in Del Mar, California. A graduate of Haverford High School and Haverford College, he completed his doctorate at the United States International University at San Diego. Dr. Sargent worked as a psychotherapist, was founder of the Family Center of Group Private Practice, with offices in Vista and Del Mar, CA, and was a member of the faculty at the Gestalt Training Center in La Jolla, CA. Dr. Sargent authored various articles in professional journals, and served as president of both the Mental Health Association of San Diego and of the San Diego chapter of the Association for Human Psychology. He is survived by his parents, Margaret and George Jr. of Bryn Mawr; his wife, Berendien; sons, Randal and John; daughter, Martine; and sisters Betsy Sargent and Carol Sargent.
F. Page Newton, a senior attorney adviser at the Justice Department, died of head injuries June 6 after a fall outside his Washington home. He was pruning tree branches when he came into contact with a live wire and fell from his ladder. Newton worked in the legal counsel's office of the executive office for U.S. attorneys. Earlier, he was a labor and employment lawyer at the Energy Department and at Justice. Newton was born in Knoxville, Tennessee, and raised in Silver Spring, Maryland. He was a graduate of Springbrook High School, Haverford and Georgetown University Law School. He began his government career as a workers' compensation claims examiner at the Labor Department and later was a labor relations specialist at the Energy Department. He received superior performance awards from the Justice Department. Survivors include his wife, Dr. Renee Hanson, and two children, Colyn Newton and Cole Newton, all of Washington; and a brother, Robert Newton of Bethesda.
Seamus McElligott died May 17, 1998 in Ontario, Canada. A computer consultant and world class track athlete, Seamus was born in Los Angeles, California, to James G. McElligott and Sandra Fitzpatrick McElligott of Rose Valley, Pennsylvania. He was a resident of Rose Valley for four years, formerly living in Philadelphia and Horsham, PA. McElligott attended LaSalle College High School and majored in chemistry at Haverford. He did extensive work as a scientific researcher before becoming a computer consultant for the Computer Center of Wayne during the last year. He was slated to enter law school in the fall. A member of the 1996 World Cross Country Team and a U.S. Olympic Trial Finalist for the 10,000-meter run in 1992, McElligott began his running career as captain of the cross country and track team at LaSalle High School. He also was on the All-Catholic Cross Country Team. At Haverford, he was captain of the cross country and track and field teams and an NCAA Division I and Division III All-American in both sports. In 1995-1996, he trained full time for the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta and the 1996 World Cross Country Championships in Cape Town, South Africa. During that time, he worked as an assistant coach, served as a sales representative for Bryn Mawr Running Co. and competed and trained internationally in Ireland, England, Spain and South Africa. He placed 11th at the U.S. Cross Country Championships and second at the Race of Ireland. He qualified for the U.S. World Cross Country Team and earned prize money by competing on the US. road racing circuit and international cross country races. In 1992, he was ranked sixth among U.S. 10,000-meter runners. At Haverford, he earned the Varsity Cup as the most outstanding senior athlete and led the team to its highest-ever team finish at nationals. He won numerous laurels for distance running and was a six-time NCAA Division III national champion in cross country and the 5,000-and 10,000-meter track events. A 12-time Division III All-American, he was invited to and earned All-America honors at the NCAA Division I cross country and outdoor track & field championships as a senior. In 1996 and 1997, he worked as a science and math tutor for high school students through Foundations Inc., a non-profit organization in Philadelphia. During that time, he designed a Standardized Achievement Test course to prepare students for excelling in SATs by teaching them the required math and verbal skills. Recently, he was serving as a computer sales representative and computer consultant for computer systems and network systems. He also did installation and troubleshooting for software and hardware on various systems. McElligott was a research assistant for the University of Pennsylvania Department of Pharmacology/Radiology in 1994, conducting neurological research on the dopamine system. In 1995 he was a graduate researcher at Allegheny University, EPPI, Department of Anatomy/Nerobiology, in Philadelphia. McElligott was a member of the Society for Neuroscience from 1993-1995 and had published a number of papers in scientific journals. Besides his parents, he is survived by a brother, Sean McElligott of Bryn Mawr; his paternal grandfather, James McElligott of Key West, Florida; and his maternal grandmother, Enid Fitzpatrick of Trinidad. He was also the brother of the late Damien McElligott.
Elisabeth Strawbridge Harvey Custer died February 24, 1998 at the Quadrangle in Haverford at the age of 88. Mrs. Custer was active in community affairs, serving on the Corporation of Haverford College and the education boards of William Penn Charter School and Wilmington College in Ohio. She also served on the Radnor Township Parents Teachers Association and was the president of the League of Women Voters of Radnor. Mrs. Custer was born in Germantown, PA and was the granddaughter of a founder of the former Strawbridge & Clothier department stores. Mrs. Custer became involved in relief work here and abroad with the American Friends Service Committee, and in the 1940s went to Finland with food and clothing for children. Her first husband, Thomas Biddle Harvey '31, died in 1969. Her second husband, Richard Philip Custer, died in 1989. Surviving are two sons, Thomas B. Harvey Jr. '57 and Francis S. Harvey; a daughter, Joan C.H. Reese; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Emily Hartshorne Mudd died May 2, 1998 at her home in Haverford at the age of 99. Born in Merion, PA on September 6, 1898, Emily Mudd will be remembered as a pioneer in the fields of family planning and marriage counseling. Mudd began her undergraduate studies at Vassar College, but after overcoming a bout of typhoid, she transferred and earned a degree in landscape architecture from the Lowthorpe School of Landscape Architecture in Groton, MA. During her time in Groton Emily met and married Suart Mudd, a fellow at Harvard Medical School. Emily worked as a research assistant in her husband's laboratory for ten years before a move to Philadelphia sparked a significant change in Emily's long and highly accoladed professional career. Dismayed that Pennsylvania did not have a single birth-control clinic, the Mudds joined three local activists and founded the Maternal Health Center in 1927. At that time, state obscenity statutes prohibited the distribution of birth-control information. So when she and a physician volunteered at the center, they worked under the threat of arrest. Three weeks after the Maternal Health Center opened its doors, police raided and closed the center. Sensitive to the problems and issues associated with the women who visited the center during its short time, Emily Mudd co-founded the Marriage Council of Philadelphia in 1933. Although Mudd was not an applicant for the job, a formal search committee offered her the counselor position at the Marriage Council of Philadelphia. Mudd had no formal training, but the committee felt that her intuitions into relationsihps and her non-judgmental demeanor qualified her for the position. She took the post and served as director from 1936 to 1967. During this time, Mudd simultaneously studied at the University of Pennsylvania School of Social Work, where she earned a master's degree and a Ph.D. in sociology. With Mudd's vision, the Marriage Council of Philadelphia developed marriage counseling as a new service and field of study. The agency was only the third such devoted to this work, but unlike the two other agencies in this nascent field, Mudd chose to curb the development of marital problems by focusing on engaged and recently married couples. Her approach was unique also because she was one of the first counselors to bring issues of sexuality into her counseling sessions. Mudd's work at the center has clearly set the standards: The Marriage Council of Philadelphia was the first center in the country to initiate a program to evaluate the effectiveness of counseling; it was also the first marriage counseling center to be affiliated with a medical school. In the 1950s it was still one of only three centers with accredited training programs for marriage counselors. Aside from seeing clients and training counselors at the Marriage Council, Mudd also authored three marriage counseling textbooks and served as a consultant with noted sexuality researchers William Masters and Virginia Johnson. Emily Mudd retired from the Marriage Council in 1967, but she continued to be very active in her retirement. During the 1970s she served on the Board at the Masters and Johnson Institute and continued to train doctors in sex therapy; she wrote articles and kept weekly appointments with clients through her 80s. Mudd also kept an office in the Mudd Suite at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, which was established when the Hospital created the Stuart and Emily B.H. Mudd Professorship of Human Behavior and Reproduction in 1975. Emily Mudd became interested in Haverford in the early 1970s when she began supporting the College's Saturday Program, a program to help seniors at inner-city high schools make the transition to college life. In honor of this support and her distinguished career, Haverford awarded Emily Mudd a Doctor of Science degree at the 1982 commencement. Mudd was the recipient of many other honorary degrees, including a Doctor of Science from the University of Pennsylvania in 1972. In 1981 she was declared Pennsylvania Mother of the Year, and Women's Way awarded her the Lucretia Mott Award in 1983 for championing women's rights. Emily Mudd's husband Stuart Mudd died in 1975, and she remarried six years later to Frederick H. Gloeckner. Frederick died in 1993. Surviving are two sons, S. Harvey and John; two daughters, Emily Mitchell and Margaret; ten grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. Emily's father, Edward Yarnall Hartshorne 1881, and grandfather, Charles Hartshorne 1846, were Haverfordians. Francis Cope Hartshorne 1888 was her uncle and many relatives on her father's side also attended Haverford.
William Wyman Saunders, 92, of Naples, FL, died January 7, 1999, in his home of congestive heart failure. In addition to Haverford, he also graduated from M.I.T., in 1929. He was a long-time resident of Baltimore, MD, where he was a president and general manager of Joseph E. Lewis & Co. In 1954, he moved to Gilford, NH, where he resided for 14 years. At this location he started the company Lewis & Saunders, Inc. In 1968, he retired and moved to Naples, spending the next 20 years between Naples and New England. In 1988 he moved to Hendersonville, NC, and in 1998 returned to Naples. He is survived by his wife, Patricia P. Saunders; five children; 19 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Charles S. Cameron died October 24, 1998.
George Barnes Edgar, 88, died March 1, 1999. A native of Philadelphia, he lived in Longwood, FL, since 1986. He was pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Fort Pierce, from 1951 to 1971. He was pastor of Ashburn Presbyterian Church from 1933 to 1951. He served in the Army Air Corp during World War II. He was moderator of Presbyterian Synod of Florida and of Southeast Florida Presbytery. He was trustee of Florida Presbyterian College and a member of the committee on chaplains as chaplain-at-large of Florida Presbyterian Church. He was a graduate of Princeton Theological Seminary. Survivors include his wife of 66 years, Anne Lukens Edgar (BMC '35) of Longwood; a son, George Lukens "Luke" Edgar of Arlington, VA; two daughters, Nancy Edgar Liskey of Glen Burnie, MD, and Mary Fisher Edgar of Silver Spring, MD; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Thomas I. Potts died January 13, 1999. He is survived by his wife Florence.
James Andrews Jr., 87, the former vice president of administration with the American Council of Life Insurance, died of pneumonia on November 22, 1998, in Alexandria, VA. Raised in Germantown, PA, Jim entered Haverford from Germantown Friends School. He was captain of the track team and competed as the typical Haverford undergraduate. "We have classmates of more vigor, more talent and more polish," his classmates wrote of him in the 1933 yearbook, "but recognize in Jim the best individual mixture of qualities that make a man." After graduating from Haverford, he received a law degree in 1936 from the University of Pennsylvania. He was married to Elisabett Bradsley in 1940. A lover of the outdoors who used to regale his children with tales of his summer job working in the Forestry Service in Idaho, he spent virtually every vacation after his marriage at the camp. During World War II, he served with the American Friends Service Committee, a Quaker relief organization. He was the Committee's representative to the State Department, the War Refugee Board and foreign legations in Washington. In 1945 he traveled with Douglas Steere, a Haverford Professor, to Sweden and Finland to organize the AFSC relief effort that supplied food to 20,000 schoolchildren in Finnish Lapland, which had been decimated by Nazi storm troopers. The Finnish government awarded its Medal for Humanitarian Work to Jim and the committee for this effort. In 1947 the American Friends Service Committee and the Friends Service Council in London received the Nobel Peace Prize for worldwide relief work, including the work in Finland. Apart from his days at Haverford, Jim's time in Finland was probably the most treasured memory of his life. In 1948 he joined the staff of the Life Insurance Association of America, a New York-based trade association. He was general counsel and later director of health insurance. He helped organize and was the initial vice-chairman of the Health Insurance Council, a confederation of trade associations in the life and casualty fields whose aim was to improve the insurance industry's relations with doctors and hospitals. He retired as vice president of administration of the American Council of Life Insurance in 1976. He was a longtime member of the Scarsdale Friends Meeting in Scarsdale, NY, where he taught a memorable Sunday School course in comparative religion. During the Vietnam war he counseled draft-age young men in pacifism and conscientious objection. Jim is survived by his wife Elisabett; five children, Sue Andrews and William Andrews '71, both of New York, James Eric Andrews of Morristown, NJ, Dee Andrews of San Francisco and Barbara Andrews of Springfield, VA; and seven grandchildren. He is also survived by his nephew Richard Taylor '54.
John L. Dusseau died January 9, 1999, of a stroke. He designated Haverford as the principal beneficiary of his estate, and his gift completes the funding of the Dusseau Professorship in the Humanities and a scholarship fund in the name of his wife Audrey, who died in 1979. John was born on July 4, 1912, the son of Philadelphia artist Thomas Dusseau and Amelia McClure. He attended Lansdowne High School, graduating in 1930. He received his M.A. from Duke University in 1935. On January 3, 1938, he and Audrey were married in Upper Darby. They enjoyed 41 years of marriage, sharing a commitment to writing and to learning about the people and cultures of the world, whenever John could break away from his duties as editor at the medical and science publishing house of W. B. Saunders Company. They had no children. John cherished learning and communicating. He was nicknamed "Fountain" by his high-school classmates. His French middle name of LaFontaine captured the essence of a student described in his high-school yearbook as Lansdowne's foremost orator. In 1980 John married Sheila B. Sloane, the president and owner of Medi Phone, Inc., a medical transcription firm. During their 14 years of marriage, Sheila and John wrote and edited several word books in pathology and laboratory medicine that are used as a resource by medical transcriptionists. They were divorced in 1994, and Sheila died in 1997 after a long battle with cancer. John moved to Waverly Heights in Gladwyne and made new friends. He continued to play bridge competitively. He assumed leadership roles in the Residents' Association and its Newsletter, The Waverly Window.
James E. Truex, 85, a resident of Sea Cliff, NY, for nearly 40 years, died January 12, 1999. He had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease for several years. He attended the Mohonk School, a Quaker preparatory school, before graduating Phi Beta Kappa from Haverford. He was a Naval officer during World War II. Fluent in Japanese, he questioned Japanese prisoners and was the interpreter at surrender negotiations. James began his career as a part of the acting Truex family, appearing with his father, the renowned character actor Ernest Truex, and his brothers Philip and Barry. He continued to appear in many Broadway plays. In 1946 he played Freddy to Gertrude Lawrence's Eliza Doolittle in George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion. He later wrote highly acclaimed historical dramas for early television shows, including "Hallmark Hall of Fame" and "You are There," and television portraits of such figures as St. Patrick, Ben Franklin and Theodore Roosevelt. After serving as public relations director of the NYS Department of Public Works under Governor Averell Harriman, James was urged to run for Congress in 1960 against the longtime Republican incumbent Katherine St. George. An avid outdoorsman, he fulfilled his campaign pledge to walk from one end of the district to the other. Although he lost the election, his 500-mile campaign hike attracted wide attention. He returned to Long Island in 1961 when he was hired to handle campaign publicity for the Democratic candidate for county executive. He moved with his family to Sea Cliff and helped elect the first Democratic county executive in Nassau history, Eugene H. Nickerson. James served during the nine years of the Nickerson administration as press secretary and then as deputy county executive. He later became vice president of Friends World College, the Quaker institution dedicated to world-wide learning. He also actively pursued his interest in archaeology, helping to explore Long Island's past. His discoveries helped lead to a re-evaluation of the dates of Native American settlements on Long Island, pushing back the known establishment of life by several centuries. His pottery work also established an early link between Connecticut and Long Island Native Americans. James is survived by his daughter Penelope Truex; two grandchildren, Jeremy and Ariel; and his brothers Philip and Barry.
Thomas D. Brown died December 28, 1998. He was Associate Professor of English Emeritus at Drexel University.
Joseph R. Bailey died September 18, 1998. He was Professor of Zoology, Emeritus at Duke University. He is survived by his wife Dorothy.
Richard M. Hiatt died November 11, 1998. He received his B.A. from Wilmington College in 1936 and his M.A. from Haverford in 1937. Richard then earned his Ph.D. from Ohio State University in 1949. He is survived by his wife Muriel.
George L. "Doc" Hartenstein III of Spring Garden Township, PA, died February 13, 1999, at age 83, after a long bout with diabetes. As owner of Hartenstein Veterinary Hospital, currently Hill Street Veterinary Hospital, George was a well-known veterinarian in Spring Garden Township. After attending Haverford and Gettysburg colleges, he graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with a degree in veterinary medicine. George served as president of the University of Pennsylvania Alumni Association and the Pennsylvania Veterinary Medicine Association. He was a life member of York County Agricultural Society, a member of Tall Cedars of Lebanon York Forest No. 30, Spring Garden Township's Civil Service Board, and an eight-year president of the York Interstate Fair Board of Directors. George's widow Margaret Rhoads Hartenstein said the nearly ten years she spent married to George were the best years of her life. "I always knew that people loved him. I said once you meet him, you'll never forget him because he had a joke for everything. He was outgoing with people. He just loved animals; he loved people; he loved his children. His words to me always were, 'You're an old broad, but I love you.' This is just the way he was." Survivors in addition to his widow include his son, Dr. George Hartenstein IV; two daughters, Sarah Harbison, and Molly Gard; five grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.
George Mathues, 82, who worked for more than 35 years helping others through the American Friends Service Committee and CARE Inc., died of heart failure on December 2, 1998, at his home in Drexel Hill, PA. He served with the two organizations "because he believed in helping others and showing compassion for the poor," said his wife of 47 years, Theodora Sirninger Mathues. He also received the Haverford Award for Service to Humanity for his work. Most of his service was overseas. After graduating from Haverford he went on to Harvard University, where he received a master's degree in business administration in 1940. During World War II, he was a conscientious objector, and spent nearly two years in a woodcutting camp in New Hampshire for such objectors. He later worked in a Chicago hospital for about three years before the government allowed him to return to school in 1943. He earned a master's degree in international relations in 1944 from Columbia University. For two years, beginning in 1946, Mr. Mathues worked for the American Friends Service Committee in Austria. In May of 1949 the city of Vienna bestowed on him its Medal of Honour for his relief work there. After working in Austria, George moved to the Cooperative for American Relief Everywhere (CARE), serving as director of operations in several countries in Europe, Africa, Asia and the West Indies. President Theodore Heuss of the German Republic decorated him with the Cross of Merit First Class in 1956. He also received the Golden Cross of the Order of the Phoenix in 1958 from King Paul of Greece, and the Great Golden Order of Merit from the Republic of Austria in 1990. Mr. Mathues retired from CARE in 1981, and until his death was a volunteer guide at the University of Pennsylvania Museum. Besides his wife, Mr. Mathues is survived by a son, Howard.
William M. Webb, 81, retired lawyer and bank counsel, died of cancer on January 20, 1999, at Bryn Mawr Hospital. He and his wife, Patricia Diamond Bottomley Webb, lived in Radnor, PA. William retired 16 years ago as legal counsel and senior vice president of the former Central Penn National Bank. He previously had been legal counsel for the former Alan Wood Steel Co. and Scott Paper Co. After graduating from Haverford, he served with the Navy in the South Pacific during World War II. After his discharge in 1946, Mr. Webb changed pursuits and enrolled at the University of Pennsylvania Law School. He earned his law degree in 1948. He served more than 30 years as a trustee of the American Oncological Hospital of Philadelphia, now called Fox Chase Cancer Center. He enjoyed tennis and sailing and was a long-time member of the Merion Cricket Club in Haverford, the Little Egg Harbor Yacht Club in Beach Haven, NJ, the Mill Reef Club in Haven, NJ, the Coral Beach and Tennis Club in Bermuda and, until his retirement, the Racquet Club in Philadelphia. In addition to his wife, William is survived by a daugher, Christie Heidenreich; two stepsons, Gordon F. Bottomley Jr. and Gregory S. Bottomley; two stepdaughters, Rebecca Meeker and Deborah Nelson; a sister; four grandchildren; and a great-grandson.
George R. Allen died of cardiac arrest on November 20, 1998, at Graduate Hospital in Philadelphia at the age of 79. The dean of Philadelphia booksellers, George spent nearly 60 years collecting, cataloging and selling rare and out-of-print books. He had been the president of William H. Allen, Bookseller, on Walnut Street, where he began working in 1940 after graduating from Haverford. Except for the time he spent in the army during World War II, he remained with the business, dealing in specialized and rare books, until his health forced him to retire in 1997. Every year, George prepared several catalogs on American or European literature, Romance languages and other topics and distributed them to book collectors, libraries, and universities all over the world. He also traveled all over the country to appraise and buy libraries. George encountered fame at the end of WWII. While serving as a staff sergeant in the 101st Airborne Division in Europe, he became the first member of military intelligence to enter Adolf Hitler's hideout at Berchtesgaden. There, he found the few surviving transcripts from the Military Situation Conferences that Hitler held twice a day during the war. George, who had studied ancient and modern languages in college, also was the first soldier to interrogate Hitler's sister, his secretary and his chauffeur. George learned how Hitler died and what had been done with his body from the chauffeur. George was awarded a Bronze Star and was discharged from the service in November, 1945. He was back in the news again in 1952, when he married an Indian princess, Margaret Lyngdoh Smith, who gained her title when she became the ward of the late Maharajah Bahadur Ram Ran Bijay Prasad Singh of Dumraon in the Indian state of Bihar. The couple met in London in 1950 and were married two years later in Montreal while she was awaiting admission to the United States. Besides dealing in books, George did some writing. In 1994, he published a monograph on the Spanish painter El Greco. He also wrote a history of his own firm, another on the Philadelphia book trade, and a biography of Moe Berg, a Princeton-educated baseball player who was a spy during WWII. George is survived by his wife of 47 years Margaret Allen; two sons, Ernest and George 3rd; a daughter Eleanor; and a sister. His twin brother Ernest '40 died in 1989.
George L. Mosse, a retired University of Wisconsin historian who was an authority on European Fascism and Hitler's Germany, died of liver cancer on January 22, 1999, in his home in Madison, WI. He was 80. George was born in Berlin, where his grandfather was a newspaper publisher. His family fled Germany in 1933 after the Nazis denounced them for being Jewish. After spending some years in Britain, he came to the United States and earned his bachelor's degree from Haverford and a doctorate in 1946 from Harvard. During his academic career he taught at the University of Iowa, Cornell, Cambridge University and Tel Aviv University. George served as both the John C. Bascom Professor of European History and the Weinstein-Bascom Professor of Jewish Studies at the University of Wisconsin, whose faculty he joined in 1955. He was also the Koebner Professor of History at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He retired from all three positions in the 1980s. The many honors he received included the American Historical Association's award for scholarly distinction and the Leo Baeck Medal. He was selected as the first scholar-in-residence at the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC. He is survived by his partner, John Tortorice, of Madison, and by a niece, Joy Mosse of Beverly Hills, CA.
Robert W. Starr died November 11, 1998. He is survived by his wife Vanita (BMC '45).
William K. Conn died August 28, 1998. Ellsworth "Buster" Alvord, Jr. '44 writes, "Bill was one of the stalwarts of our class, football player on that championship team of mostly '44ers, waiter in those old days when it was available, charter member of that rotating bridge game that consumed so many of us in South Barclay, and my roommate for our sophomore year." Bill is survived by his wife Eloise.
William Chapman, 74, died of chronic pulmonary disease on December 13, 1998, at his home. He was a former rector of St. Paul's Church in Brunswick, ME. He was born in Toronto and moved to St. Louis with his family when he was young. He received his divinity degree from the University of Chicago. During World War II, he was a flying instructor for the Royal Canadian Air Corps. In 1952, he was ordained as a priest. After spending five years as the rector at St. Paul's Church in Brunswick, he spent his priesthood in the Episcopal Diocese in Missouri. During his years in the priesthood, he developed and directed the Missouri Delta Ministry based in Haiti, which created food cooperatives, literacy programs and job training programs. He also ran the Delta Pilot Program to assist seven of the poorest counties in Missouri. In 1970, he joined Trinity Parish in St. Louis, where he worked to help the urban poor and stimulate community reform. He also worked for civic organizations such as the Union Sarah Economic Development Corp, the Central West End Association, Goodwill Industries, Aid to Victims of Crime and St. Louis 2004. In 1980, he was named rector of Trinity Parish. He retired in 1993. He is survived by his wife, Ellie Chapman of St. Louis; a daughter, Lynn Chapman of Woodland, Calif.; three sons, Edward Chapman of Lower Newton Falls, MA, Muscoe Martin of Philadelphia and Wellesley Chapman of Chicago; and nine grandchildren.
Thomas Meldrum passed away on November 27, 1998. He graduated from Haverford High School and completed his premedical education at Haverford before being drafted into the U.S. Navy during World War II. Following boot camp he was commissioned and sent to Cornell Medical School, where he received his degree in medicine in 1948. He interned at Lankenau Hospital in Philadelphia and completed his residency in surgery at Baltimore City Hospital. He served as a surgeon during the Korean War in the 1st Marine Division Military Advanced Surgical Hospital. Following the war he established a general practice in Florida and also served on the staff of the Emergency Room Service of St. Luke's Hopsital in Jacksonville. In addition to his general and surgery practice, his specialties included obstetrics and ophthalmology. He was an accomplished musician and skilled mathematician, and his favorite hobby was hiking and mountain climbing with his family. He was a member of the Society of Friends and the son of Professor William B. Meldrum, chairman of Haverford's chemistry department from 1919 to 1956. He is survived by his wife, Kathryn Beynon Meldrum; sons Thomas, David, William and Donald '77; daughter Jill Meldrum-Wallis; brother Donald Meldrum '47; and four grandchildren.
W. Spencer Payne, 72, of Rochester, MN, retired head of the Section of General Thoracic Surgery at the Mayo Clinic, died February 13, 1999, at his home following a long illness. Born March 22, 1926, in St. Louis, MO, he graduated from St. Louis Country Day School in 1944 and took his premedical training during World War II in the Navy's V-12 program at DePauw University and Haverford. In 1946 he was president of Delta Chapter of Beta Theta Pi. He received his medical degree from Washington University in 1950 and completed his internal medicine internship and residency at St. Louis City Hospital. He was recalled to active military service from 1952 to 1954, during the Korean War, and was a medical officer with the Amphibious Fleet of the Pacific and a member of the 38th Parallel Medical Society. From 1954 to 1955 he took a residency in general surgery at St. Louis City Hospital. He came to the Mayo Clinic in 1955 and completed a six-year training in general surgery and thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. He served as president of Mayo Fellows Association. Awards received included the Howard K. Gray Travel Award in Surgery, a master's degree in surgery from the graduate school of the University of Minnesota, and election to the honorary research society, Sigma Xi. He became a permanent member of the surgical staff at the Clinic in 1961, a full professor of surgery at Mayo Medical School in 1974, and subsequently was the first designated Head of the Section of General Thoracic Surgery at the Mayo Clinic. He was honored with a Mayo Foundation-named professorship, the James C. Masson Professor, in 1982 in recognition of distinguished service as a dedicated teacher, innovative surgeon and compassionate physician. He authored or co-authored 275 surgical articles and two monographs on the esophagus. He was a past president of the Minnesota Surgical Society and the Minnesota Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, served as director of the board of directors of American Board of Thoracic Surgery, and served on working committees of many surgical organizations, including the Society of Thoracic Surgery, the American Association for Thoracic Surgery, the American College of Surgeons and the American Surgical Association. Also, he served on editorial boards of several national surgical journals as well as Mayo Proceedings and Mayo Health Letter. Extramural activities included participation on advisory committees of the National Cancer Institute. He was honored by many invited lectureships and visiting professorships both here and abroad, notably the Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, the Richardson Lecture at Harvard's Massachusetts General Hospital, the Ronald Edwards Lecture, University of Liverpool, the Coventry Conference, England, and the Guest of Honor of the Japanese Society of Gastroenterology. Following his retirement in 1990 he was named an honored member of the International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus for his achievement and contribution in the management of esophageal diseases. He was listed in Marquis' "Who's Who" and among "The Best Doctors in the U.S.A." by Pekkanen. In 1959 he married Maureen Divertie of Paisley, Scotland. Survivors include his wife; two daughters, Susan Bornstein and Sarah Smith, both of St. Paul; a son, Spencer of Topeka, KS; and two grandchildren.
Frank Kennedy, a long time resident of Narbeth, PA, died December 4, 1998, at Lankenau Hospital. He was 74. Born and raised in Paris, KY, he moved to the Philadelphia area to attend Haverford. He graduated in 1949 after serving the U.S. Navy during World War II. He worked for the Budd Co. as an industrial engineer from 1953 until he retired in 1984. After retirement, he continued to work as a tax consultant. He served as the treasurer of both Earlington Men's Club and the Friendship Ring, formerly the Welcome Wagon Club. He is survived by his wife, Margaret; children Carl V. Stott, Darlene Christmas, Frank R. Kennedy III '83, and Patricia K. Hammer; 11 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
John Davison died March 5, 1999. He was born on May 31, 1930, of American parents in Istanbul, Turkey. Upon the family's return to the U.S. shortly after his birth, John's early years were spent in Auburn, NY, and after 1939, New York City. As a child John attended the Institute of Musical Arts in NY. At Haverford as an undergraduate he studied composition with Alfred Swan and graduated from the college as its second music major. John did volunteer work with the American Friends Service Committee in 1947, 1951 and 1952, and completed his alternative service in Rochester's General Hospital in New York from June 1955 to 1957. He received his M.A. from Harvard, where he studied with Randall Thompson and Walter Piston, and his Ph.D. from Eastman, where he studied with Bernard Rogers, Alan Hovhaness and Howard Hanson. Another principal mentor was Robert Palmer at Cornell. John joined the Haverford faculty in 1959. Over a forty-year period he taught theory, composition, music history, the jazz course, piano, special topics and an outreach course on Beethoven. He received the Knight Prize, the Paine Traveling Fellowship, a Woodrow Wilson Fellowship, a Ford Foundation-MENC Fellowship and numerous commissions throughout his career, including one for the 25th anniversary of the Nittany Valley Symphony through a grant from the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts. Among other ensembles to have performed his music are the Chamber Orchestra of Bryn Mawr, the Concert Soloists of Philadelphia, the Minnesota Orchestra and the Symphony Orchestra of the city of Petrozavodsk in Russia. His compositions number some 150, ranging in genre from solo piano music to chamber music to symphonic, chorale and combined chorale and orchestral works. There are six Symphonies, a Cello Concerto, a Concertino for Oboe and Chamber Orchestra, an Opera on the story of Jonah, two Magnificats, a Mass, a Te Deum and other church music, and a Rhapsody for Orchestra, which will receive its premier by the Haverford-Bryn Mawr Orchestra in Marshall Auditorium. John collaborated with Professor Emeritus of English John Ashmead on The Songs of Robert Burns, which featured his new harmonizations of the Scottish folk melodies used by the poet. In 1991, John recorded a video (which aired on many PBS stations across the country), compact disc and cassette tape of these Burns songs with soprano Shosana Shay. Most recently "The Music of John Davison" was released on CD by Albany Records. The Sonata for Horn and Piano which is included on the disc is reviewed by William Scharnberg in The Horn Call as a "fine and excellent" work. Of the Sonata for Trumpet and Piano also included on the disc, the critic Lehman of the American Record Guide says that "[Davison's] staunchly triadic and sturdily crafted music is warm, tuneful and direct in its appeal. Emotions are celebatory or serene, jovial high spirits and pastoral innocence predominating. If Davison is anything like his music, he's a happy and likeable fellow." John was not only liked, but beloved over the decades by so many students, staff members and colleagues in this bi-college community. And reciprocally, in the words of Professor of Economics, Emeritus Ho Hunter '43, "John really loved Haverford," the place, its people, whole-heartedly and unconditionally. Thinking back to his time as a freshman it is safe to say that John was Haverford's composer laureate for half a century. He will remain so forever. [Taken from Memorial Minute written by Curt Cacioppo, professor of Music.]
Morris Kirk, 76, died January 2, 1999, at his residence, following a lengthy illness. He was born February 1, 1922, in Columbiana County, Ohio, the son of Louis J. and Alice Cope Kirk. He lived in the Columbiana area for more than 60 years. Mr. Kirk received his bachelor's degree from Wilmington College, his master's degree from Haverford, and did graduate studies at Kent State University. He was an educator for 34 years, 19 at Boardman School, where he retired as assistant superintendant. He was headmaster at Olney Friends School in Barnesville for ten years, was director of Life Academy at the Bair Foundation at New Wilmington, PA, for three years and was headmaster of Chavakali Secondary School in Kenya, East Africa, for two years. He was a member of the Middleton Friends Meeting and was president of the Fiduciary Trustees of Ohio Yearly Meeting, a member of the board of trustees of Olney Friends School at Barnesville, and held many church offices. He was a member of the Boardman Education Association, the Ohio Education Association, the Buckeye Association of School Administrators, and the Farm Bureau Council. He did volunteer work for numerous charitable organizations, locally and nationally. A memorial service was held on January 5, 1999. There, his wife and four children read a brief history of his life, in which they remarked, "As Dad faced the disease of cancer during the last several years of his life, he was steadfast in his trust in Jesus. While undergoing treatments, he and Mother purposely continued their normal lives including traveling, volunteer activities, gardening and Yearly Meeting responsibilities. Dad seemed to develop more patience, tolerance and compassion as his illness progressed." Morris is survived by his wife, Marie Smith, whom he married November 8, 1946; two daughters, Beverly Shull of Lima and Nancy Kirk of Boardman; two sons, James Kirk of Greenford and Kenneth L. Kirk of Columbus; a sister, Florence Sidwell of Columbiana; two brothers, Robert L. Kirk of Englewood, FL, and Edward N. Kirk of Barnesville; and 13 grandchildren.
Robert "Jiggs" Kunkel died of cancer in Chapel Hill, NC, on April 29, 1998, at the age of 67. Jiggs was a scholar all of his life, a wit, a seeker of truth and an active Quaker both in his Meetings and in the wider Quaker community. He enjoyed traveling, hiking, horseshoes and the written word. He was a writer of poems, haiku, subjective jingles and a contributor to and member of the Powys Society in England. Jiggs graduated from Harvard Law School in 1957. He retired from the law in October, 1986. In March, 1987, he and his wife Claire moved to Chapel Hill. This move represented the best of all worlds; he became part of the academic community he so thrived on. Jiggs audited Ancient Greek and Philosophy at the University of North Carolina to fulfill a long-time desire to read in the original. He also became an enthusiastic Tarheel basketball fan. His legacy to his family and friends was, through the magic of e-mail, to share his feelings and thoughts while experiencing the last stages of cancer. This was done with candor, humor and soul: a mighty role model for life and death. He actively and steadfastly loved and appreciated his family. He is survived by his wife Claire; a daughter Lise Claire; three sons, Job Davis, Joshua and Nathan; a grandaughter Zoe Claire; and many extended family and friends. A celebration of his life was held on May 23, 1998, at Chapel Hill Friends Meeting.
James Leslie Mathis, 71, of Middleburgh, NY, died on December 6, 1998, at his residence, which he shared with his long-time partner, Donald A. Kittell. His death resulted from a long battle with emphysema. Born October 1, 1927, in Wyalusing, he was a son of the late Rev. Ernest L. and Lyndal (Ragains) Mathis. He was a graduate of Girard College in Philadelphia, Haverford, and Bucknell University in 1954. Further graduate studies at the University of Rochester, the University of Alaska and the University at Toures, France, completed his formal education. He served in the U.S. Army Air Force from 1945-1947, serving in the U.S., Japan and South Korea. Upon his discharge, he attained the rank of sergeant. Jim possessed a strong, imposing tenor/baritone voice which he used often both as a youngster and as an adult, singing in various church choirs and college choruses, plus high-school musical productions. He was a high-school teacher of history, English and French, having retired in 1982 from Mahopac Central School District, Mahopac, NY, after serving 28 years. He also was a teacher in the Wyalusing Area School District. He is survived by his sisters, Louise M. Shumway of Wyalusing, Alice M. Karas of Gurnee, IL, Sarah Jo Lionetti of Simi Valley, CA, and Carol A. Prasad of Chelmsford, MA; a brother, Daniel E. Mathis of Wyalusing; several nieces and nephews; and other relatives and friends.
S. Carter Bledsoe, 68, a retired tax lawyer and native Washintonian who was a partner in the firm of Squire, Sanders & Dempsey for 33 years, died of pulmonary fibrosis on February 2, 1999, at Northern Virginia Hospice. Carter, who lived in McLean, VA, worked at the firm's Washington, DC, office for ten years until he retired in 1991. Earlier, he spent 16 years with the firm's office in Cleveland. He was a graduate of the Landon School, where he was named All City Prep Football. After Haverford, he graduated from the George Washington University law school. His career began in the mid 1950s as a tax litigator for the Department of the Treasury. He was an associate of Pepper, Hamilton & Sheetz in Philadelphia fron 1958 to 1965. His marriages to Phyllis Kunze and Ella Marie Olcese ended in divorces. He is survived by his companion of 20 years, Claudia Morgenstern; three sons from his first marriage, Theodore, Anthony and Paul Bledsoe; and a brother, Theodore Bledsoe '55 of Washington.
Wendell W. Oberholtzer, a longtime resident of Chestnut Hill, PA, died on January 14, 1999. He is survived by his wife of 31 years, Deborah Bradley Oberholtzer, his daughter, Jeanette Lingelbach '85, and a granddaughter, Katlyn Stephanie Lingelbach. A graduate of the Hill School, Mr. Oberholtzer served in the U.S. Navy for two years. He later worked in the Trust Department at Fidelity Bank; as a stock broker; in the real estate office of the late Charles Wistar Wood; and in the N. W. Ayer advertising agency. Shortly before his death, he and Debby moved to a Springfield residence so that they could remain in the same neighborhood where they had so many friends during their marriage and the raising of their children. A son, Stephen, died in 1995.
John M. Somerndike died December 13, 1998. He received his M.D. from Temple University in 1953 and his M.S. from the University of Illinois in 1962. He is survived by his wife Linda.
Ervin Robert Werner, Jr., 66, a research chemist for more than 35 years with DuPont Co. who helped design the formulas for Lucite paint and Teflon II, died December 29, in Ormond Beach, FL, where he had moved with his family in 1995 from Levittown, PA. Dr. Werner earned a master's from the University of Maryland and a doctorate in physical organic chemistry from the Univeristy of Pennsylvania. He was master of Masonic Lodge 788 in Woodside, PA; past thrice potent master with the Lodge of Perfection in NJ; past commander in chief of the Trenton Consistory; member of the Crescent Shrine Temple in NJ; member of the Legion of Honor of the Chapel of Four Chaplains in PA; member of the Riverbend Country Club; member of Moose Lodge 1263; and member of the Royal Order of Scotland, where he was knighted as Sir Robert. In addition to his wife Lorraine, Dr. Werner is survived by his mother, Mildred Werner of Ormond Beach, FL; sons Robert of Upper Darby, PA, and Mark of Newnan, GA; daughters Debra Wood of Virginia Beach, VA, and Renee Werner and Andrea Smith of Philadelphia; and six grandchildren.
James R. Shuster, 64, of Worcester, MA, a sociology teacher for 40 years, died January 14, 1999, at his home. He leaves three sons, Robert Shuster of Seattle, Stephen Shuster of Nantucket and Richard Shuster of Arlington, VA; a brother, David Shuster of Newport News, VA; two nephews; and a niece. He was born and raised in Philadelphia, son of Durrell and Millicent Shuster, and lived there many years. He earned a Ph.D. from Princeton University. Mr. Shuster was a professor of sociology for many years at Framingham State College.
Clyde Lutton, 54, a former English and history teacher who co-owned an event planning and corporate communications business in Columbia, MD, died of liver cancer February 4, 1999, at his home in Fulton, MD. He and his wife, Charlotte, founded The Events Organization in 1987. Earlier, he taught at the Woodward School for boys and Maret School, and he was involved in commercial real estate sales. He was a native of Butler, PA. He came to the Washington area after graduating from Haverford. At Haverford, he was captain of the golf team and was in the drama club. In subsequent years he was involved in fund-raising programs and class reunions. He was class chairman and a member of the Haverford College Alumni Council, and had three times received the Alumni Cup for outstanding performance in fund-raising. He also acted and handled stage lighting for the Silver Springs Stage, a theater group. In addition to his wife, survivors include a brother, Peter R. Lutton of Prospect Heights, IL, and his stepmother, Elise D. Lutton of Lake Worth, FL.
Robert J. Chandler died August 22, 1998.
Elizabeth Borton (BMC '26), widow of Hugh Borton (Haverford President 1957-67) died December 18, 1998 in a Holyoke, Massachusetts retirement community. She is survived by a son, Anthony Borton '55, and a grandson, Timothy Borton '84.
Thomas E. Drake, Professor Emeritus of American History at Haverford College, died in New York on January 1, 1999, at the age of 91. At the family meeting following his death, John Spielman read the following: "A native Californian, Tom graduated from Stanford University then completed a doctorate in history at Yale in 1937. That year he joined the faculty of Haverford College as curator of the Quaker collections and professor of American history. He served those double duties with patience and energy for 25 years until a threatening illness prompted him to retire early in 1962. He and William Lunt together were the history department, with the occasional presence of someone to teach a course when one or the other was on leave. When Professor Lunt retired in 1955, Tom also took on the job of chairing the department, a task that he usually performed over lunch with Wallace MacCaffrey once a month at the now defunct Viking restaurant in Ardmore. When I joined these seances in 1959 I found that they involved a focused discussion of the progress of every major in the department, a concern for students that Tom never relaxed. As a scholar Tom focused on Quaker history particularly as it touched the sensitive topic of race relations and slavery. His most important work was a book arising from his dissertation, Quakers and Slavery in America, published in 1950 by Yale University Press. Before that he had published several articles including 'Elihu Coleman, Quaker Antislavery Pioneer of Nantucket' in 1944, and the same year 'William Penn's Experiment in Race Relations' in the Pennsylvania Magazine of History. 'Joseph Drinker's Plea for the Admission of Colored People to the Society of Friends' appeared in 1945. Beyond that were a large number of submissions in various Quaker publications, encyclopedias, reviews, and the like. After retiring from active teaching and curatorial work, Tom continued for a number of years to be an important presence in the history department, opening his lovely house and its grounds in Bryn Mawr to annual departmental picnics and other festivities. The construction of the Blue Route near their home sent the Drakes to New York, and contact became more intermittent. I believe his last visit to the campus was three years ago this spring. All who knew him remember him as a sociable, courtly gentleman who rarely, if ever, lost his aplomb. The Drakes' legendary New Year's Eve feasts were devoted to literary presentations by participants; at other times they would bring together an audience for a more ambitious reading, as one memorable occasion when Arnold Post read his recent translation of a Greek comedy 'The Curmudgeon.' Tom was a Quaker to the core, but he did not believe that virtue had to be drab and dull. His legacy to the College is around us everywhere, in the Treasure Room of the library, in a history department that he forced to cross the English channel, in his cultivation of better relations between the races here and in the Society of Friends, and perhaps most of all in vivid memories of a gentle man who was a generous friend and mentor." He is survived by two sons, Thomas Hoyt Drake of Auckland, New Zealand, and Daniel Williams Drake of New Canaan, Connecticut. He also had six stepchildren by his marriage to Constance Drake, as well as two stepdaughters by his marriage to Elizabeth Drake. He is survived by 23 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.
Michael Freeman, librarian of Haverford College's Magill Library, died February 12, 1999, of cancer at his home in Wynnewood. He was 52. An old friend of Michael described him as "a man who liked to talk to people who liked to talk." This man who liked to talk left the Haverford campus much the richer for his sojourn here. A social scientist by personality as well as by profession &endash; an astute commentator &endash; Michael saw his role of Librarian of the College as more than one of providing leadership to an academic library. Michael loved words, loved the ideas they could convey, the laughter they could evoke, the enthusiasm they could elicit, and he used his command of words to open library staff meetings with broad and inspiring treatises on the role of libraries past and present, to persuade colleagues that they really wanted to do things they hadn't yet thought they wanted to do, and to publish more than a dozen articles about the social context and implications of library conception and management. The library's operations fascinated him: "he had a 'family-run business' proprietary sense about the place; he cared about every detail from carpeting to collections," said one colleague. Endlessly creative about use of space and time, Michael added the summer music lunchtime series to the reading series, and took a personal interest in watching this flourish as well. He conceived and secured grants to upgrade operations and provide collections care. He re-organized the library staff to provide for bibliographic specialists in subject areas. He, in turn, appreciated that staff, and the staff admired him. Michael was proud of his New York City roots, his Brooklyn College (City University of New York, 1968) undergraduate education, and his two masters' degrees, one in history in 1970, one in library science in 1971, from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. He always said &endash; and he was right &endash; that he was a fine advertisement for public universities. From Madison, Michael took the position of Social Sciences Librarian and University Archivist at Illinois Wesleyan University, and from there served in increasingly responsible library roles at Dartmouth College and the College of Wooster in Ohio before coming to Haverford in 1986. In each place, his well-honed talent for putting systems in place, balancing budgets and inspiring staff to give their best left a fine legacy behind him. Michael kept his friendships and his professional ties with the wider college library world. He was always current with library organizational information, technology and theory. Beginning in the 1970s he served continuously on boards and advisory groups representing local and national consortia, and he traveled, lectured and consulted widely on library effectiveness and long-range planning. As often as not, Michael could be found in his office "doing history." He was excited about his paper-clip presentations for the history juniors' seminar, and he was just as excited about understanding &endash; and helping others to understand &endash; some of the dynamics of tri-college library policies over the long haul. He published three articles on these issues between 1994 and 1997, and, at the time of his death, was working on an analysis of an early twentieth-century Haverford alum's college diary. Michael's interests were broad, his humanity paramount. Whether helping a student locate resources about Chinese map-making, or introducing his daughters to the mysteries of New York City, his enthusiasm for life and learning was infectious. Michael also valued his friendships in the Haverford College community &endash; was always available to talk books, library operations, or novels or children or poker &endash; with faculty and other colleagues outside the library. He believed that the library's role was to support teaching and faculty research, and he instituted systems to be responsive to those needs. Michael was easy to like, hard to rile. He knew about libraries, was always willing to learn more, and anxious to share what he'd learned. So it is not surprising that library colleagues from across the country sent notes of regret at the loss of Michael, his energy, his knowledge, kindness and generosity. He is survived by his wife, the former Carole Cook; his daughters, Alice and Josie; his mother, Ruth Freeman of West Palm Beach, FL; and two sisters, Elaine Unterman of Gaithersburg, MD, and S. Pearl Freeman of San Francisco, CA