- making genealogy simpler; a free genealogy surname research tool that reaches for data from all over.

Miscellaneous Obituaries From
Huntingdon County, PA
(transcribed under the direction of Dave Wilson)

Ulysses S. WALTERS, a retired railroader, died at his home, 403 Moore
Street, at 10:40 o'clock Monday night, November 17, 1941.  Mr. Walters had
been in failing health for some time, and his death came within an hour
after he suffered a stroke last evening.
A son of David and Mary (Norris) Walters, he was born at Newry on May 3,
1866.  At the time of death he was aged 75 years, six months, and fourteen
days.  On April 18, 1891, he was united in marriage with Theodoshia McElwee
at her home near Otella.
Surviving are his wife, two sisters, Mrs. James Focht, of Huntingdon, Mrs.
Della Lake, of Shade Gap, and one brother, Frank Walters, of Shade Gap.
Mr. Walters had been employed by the Pennsylvania railroad company for a
period of forty  years.  For many years he worked as a carpenter and at the
time of his retirement was employed as a bridge inspector.  He was a member
of the First Methodist church and of the P.O.S. of A. lodge.
Funeral services will be held at Brown's funeral home on Thursday afternoon
with the Rev. Samuel W. Strain officiating.  Burial will be made in
Riverview Cemetery.

Mrs. Samantha Elizabeth RINKER, eldest child of Jehu and Jane (Starr)
Madden, passed away on Sunday, November 23, 1941, at her home in Mount
Mrs. Rinker who was in her seventy-ninth year, was born on January 23, 1863.
Before her marriage she was a school teacher.  On June twenty-four, 1890 she
married Benjamin Franklin Rinker, whom she survived a little more than
twenty years.
Mrs. Rinker was held in the highest esteem by all who knew her.  She was a
devoted member of the Methodist Church and she lived her life in simplicity
and goodness.
Surviving are the following daughters and sons,  Miss Idessa Rinker, Mrs. E.
Turner White, Mrs. Herman Locke, C. Eugene Rinker, Coyle S. Rinker, Chester
Rinker, and Floyd Rinker; also the following brothers and sister: Judson
Madden, Scott Madden, Mrs. J. Grant Anderson, Ralph C. Madden, Russell B.
Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon from the home by her pastor,
Reverend Edgar A. Henry and burial was in the Mount Union Cemetery.

Anson Elbin JOHNSON, of Rockhill Furnace, died at his home on Friday,
October 24, 1941, at 7 a.m.  Death followed a prolonged illness.
A son of the late John S. and Mary (Kinzer) Johnson, he was born in Rockhill
Furnace on March 14, 1893.  At the time of death he was aged 48 years, seven
months and ten days.  He was the last surviving member of his immediate
He was united in marriage with Miss Honta L. Bergstresser, of Three Springs,
at Lewistown, on November 26, 1913.
Members of the family include his widow and the following children: Kermit
Elbin Johnson at home; Anna Mary, Mrs. Daniel Ruggiero, of Turtle Creek, and
Laverne Johnson, at home.  One grandson, Robert Ruggiero, also survives.
Mr. Johnson was a public spirited citizen and an ardent sportsman.  He was
active in all sports and was especially fond of baseball.  For a period of
ten years he had served as constable of Rockhill borough.  His passing has
left a void not only in the family but in the community life as well because
of the many people who were favored with his friendship.
Funeral services will be held at his late home on Monday afternoon.  The
Rev. Duncan Salmond, pastor of the Orbisonia Presbyterian church, will be
the officiating minister.  Interment will be made in the Orbisonia cemetery
directed by Ott's funeral service.

George Burton MARK, of 716 Seventh street, a salesman for the C. H. Miller
Hardware Company and one of Huntingdon's estimable younger residents, died
in the J. C. Blair Memorial Hospital on Monday night, December 8, 1941, at
10 o'clock.  Mr. Mark had been ill since November 12, but had been a patient
in the hospital only a week prior to his death.  Everything known to medical
science was employed to combat the ailment from which he suffered, but to no
avail.  His untimely death has been a great shock to his family and many
A son of Cyrus M. and Louise (Bollinger) Mark, he was born in Juniata
township, on August 9, 1899.  At the time of death he was aged 42 years,
three months and twenty-nine days.  On June 7, 1924, he was united in
marriage with Marie Bollinger, of Huntingdon.  The ceremony was performed in
the First Presbyterian church by the late Rev. R. P. Daubenspeck.
Surviving to mourn his passing are his wife and one young son, George: his
parents, Mr. and Mrs. Cyrus Mark, of Huntingdon; and the following brothers
and sisters: Roscoe, Cecil and Earl Mark, of Huntingdon; Ernest Mark, of Los
Angeles, Cal.; Bertha, Mrs. Ellis Querry, of Detroit, Mich.; Mrs. Elmira
Claycom, of Altoona, and Beatrice, Mrs. William Cassidy, of Huntingdon.
Following his graduation from Huntingdon high school Mr. Mark entered the
employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, continuing that association for
sixteen years.  About seven years ago he became affiliated with the C. H.
Miller Hardware Company as a representative of the Hoover Sweeper.  His
affable manner and sense of fair dealing had won him marked success in the
field of salesmanship.
He was a faithful member of the First Presbyterian church and a regular
attendant at the meetings of the New Era Bible class of the Sunday School.
He was a member of Mount Moriah Lodge No. 300, F. and A. M., of Huntingdon.
A lover of music, he had for many years been an active member of the
Huntingdon Music Club and at the time of his death was serving as treasurer
of that organization.  He was also a member of the Huntingdon Lions Club.
Funeral services will be held in the First Presbyterian church on Thursday
afternoon.  Rev. John Thompson Peters will be in charge.  Burial will be
made in Riverview Cemetery.

Mrs. Alice Cory (Stunkard) PALMER, widow of David Newton Palmer, died at the
home of her daughter Mrs. Esther De Hetre, at Detroit, Michigan, Monday,
Nov. 24th, 1941. after a long illness that followed a stroke.  At the time
of her passing she was aged 79 years, 9 months and 15 days.
Born at New Grenada, February 9, 1862, she was the daughter of Robert F. and
Julia Ann (Horton) Stunkard.  She was united in marriage with David Newton
Palmer in 1886.  He died in 1923.  Soon after his death she went to Detroit,
Michigan, to reside with her daughter.
She is survived by the following children: Preston Palmer, Mrs. Anna
Longueway, Mrs. Esther De Hetra, Leslie N. Palmer and Mrs. Alice Pilkengton,
all of Detroit, and Remick R. Palmer, of Mount Union.  One sister, Mrs.
Charles Lamberson, of Saltillo, also survives.
The body will arrive in Mount Union Friday morning and will be taken to the
First Methodist church where the remains may be viewed until 2:30 o'clock.
Rev. Edgar A. Henry will be in charge of the funeral.  Interment will be
made in the IOOF cemetery at Mount Union directed by Clark funeral service.

Alfred Bartell SNYDER, a prominent merchant of Mapleton, died very suddenly
at his home at that place at 12:45 o'clock this Tuesday morning, September
2, 1941, of a heart attack.  He and his wife and daughter Joyce, had been to
Niagara Falls on a vacation, and had returned home last evening.
Mr. Snyder was born February 3, 1891, in Altoona, and was a son of Charles
and Jennie (Snyder) Felt.  After the death of his mother, he was adopted by
his maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. George W. Snyder, of Orbisonia.  He
came to Mapleton in September, 1924, and took over the Shapiro and Sherr
store, and had been in the mercantile business there since that time.  He
attended the Methodist church, was a member of the IOOF of Mapleton and was
a veteran of the World war, having been attached to the 114th machine gun
He was married to Olla J. (Morrell) Snyder at Huntingdon, August 20, 1923.
Surviving are his wife and daughter, Joyce Snyder, at home; his father,
Charles Felt. of Brockeville, Pa.; and an aunt Mrs. Harry Sherr, of
Funeral services will be held from the late home in Mapleton Thursday
afternoon, September 4, 1941, at 1:30 o'clock and interment will be made in
Broad Top City.

John A. GUMBERT, of Shade Gap, died at his late home Nov. 10, 1941 at 1:45
P.M.  He had been ill since June 9, 1941.  For more than 50 years Mr.
Gumbert lived in Blacklog Valley where he was a farmer but during the past
six years had lived at Shade Gap.
Born at Westminster, Maryland, Nov. 3, 1862, he was the son  of Frederick
and Anna Christianna (Hosefelt) Gumbert.  He was united in marriage to
Elizabeth Morgan, April  20, 1891.
During his younger life he had been employed at the U.S. Refractories plant
in Mount Union, in connection with his farming.
Mr. and Mrs. Gumbert celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary in April
of this year.
Surviving are the widow, one son, Zane Gumbert at home.
The body will be taken to the Stone Church at Germany Valley were services
will be held by Rev. George Swayne and interment will be made in the
adjoining cemetery, Blatt Funeral Service.

David Ellsworth BROWN, for many years a resident of Mount Union, but late of
Canton, Ohio, died at the home of his sister, Mrs. Sarah Brown PARKS in that
city, Saturday morning, November 1, 1941 after a long illness.  At the time
of death he was aged 61 years and four days.
Born in Everett, Pa., September 28, 1880, he was the son of Caleb and
Missouri GREENLAND BROWN, both deceased.
He was united in marriage May 13, 1912 to Miss Edna CARL of Mount Union.
He was a painter and decorator by trade.
Surviving are the widow, Mrs. Edna Carl Brown, of Mount Union; two sisters,
Mrs. Samuel HARKLEROAD of Warren, Ohio, and Mrs. James PARKS of Canton,
Ohio, in whose home he passed away.
Mr. Brown had a number of relatives in Three Springs, Saltillo and Mount
Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon from the Arnold Funeral Home at
Canton, Ohio and interment was made in the Brown Hills Cemetery.

Clarence B. NOLAND, of 1211 Eighteenth street, Altoona, retired engineer of
the Citizens Ice company, Altoona, and better known to his friends as Pete,
died at the home at 10:30 o'clock Tuesday night.
Born January 1, 1860, at Orbisonia, he was the son of Thomas and Mary
NOLAND, and married Miss Ann IRVIN of Hollidaysburg 54 years ago.
Members of the family include his wife, ten sons and daughters, Charles of
Mines, Mrs. Carrie LAMER of McINtyre, Mrs. Emma MILLER of Bakerton, Mrs.
Elizabeth THOMPSON of Bellwood, Mrs. Eva SHAFFER of Altoona, Mrs. Lena
WEYANT of Todd, Clarence and Mrs. Bertha MENTZER of Altoona, Elmer of Camp
Croft, S.C., and Miss Julia of Altoona, and two half sisters, Mrs. Fannie
KELLEY of Mount Union and Mrs. Loretto LEGO of Erie.  Mr. Noland was of the
Methodist faith and retired 15 years ago from active duty with the Citizens
Ice company.
Funeral services will be held a the Mines Methodist church in charge of the
Rev. McMorris.  Interment in Ormenia cemetery.

Funeral services for Joseph A. KRUGH, native of Blacklog, Huntingdon county,
who died in Detroit, Michigan will be held  in St. Mary's Catholic church at
Shade Valley, Thursday morning at 10 o'clock.  Rev. John A. Kerkoska will
officiate at the mass and interment will be made in the St. Mary's cemetery.
Joseph A. Krugh had been employed in Detroit for a number of years.  He was
well known and hightly respected by all who knew him.  He was born in
Blacklog Valley and grew to young manhood there.  The son  of James Isadore
and Louise (MCMULLEN) Krugh, both deceased, he is survived by the following
sisters and brothers:  Lawrence Krugh, Dearborn, Michigan; Mrs. Herbert
PRICE, Shirleysburg, Mrs. Bruce LOVE, Lewistown, and Mrs. Robert MCKEOWN, of
New York City.
Clark funeral service will direct the interment.

Mrs. Mino Elizabeth HICKS died at the home of her mother, Mrs. Elizabeth
HAPPLE, in Orbisonia, on Thursday, October 23, 1941, at 12:40 a.m.  She  was
aged at the time of death 29 years two months and twenty-one days.
A daughter of George and Elizabeth (WILSON) Happle, she was born in Mount
Union on August 2, 1912.
Surviving are six children, as follows:  George Lester, 12; Mathew Thomas,
11; Ronald Lee, 8; Claudette Jean, 5; Eugene Richard, 4; and Charles Noll,
2.  Her mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Happle, a sister, Mrs. James BOOHER, of
McKees Rocks, and a brother, Mathew Happle, of Orbisonia, also survive.
Mrs. Hicks was a member of the Mount Union Baptist church.  For the past ten
years she had made her home with her mother in Orbisonia.
Funeral services will be held at Ott's funeral home in Orbisonia on Saturday
afternoon in charge of the Rev. Lewis King, pastor of the Rockhill Furnace
Church of the Nazarene.  Interment will be made in the Pine Grove cemetery.

Milton Ira BAIRD, of Mount Union, R.D.1, died in the Lewistown hospital on
Sunday, October 12, 1941, at 11:05 p.m.  Death was due to pertonitis.
He was born in Hill Valley on February 17, 1874, a son of Samuel and Mary C.
(LONG) Baird.  At the time of death he was aged 67 years, seven months and
twenty-five days.  On December 23, 1897, at Huntingdon, he was united in
marriage with Larua MYERS, the ceremony having been performed by the Rev. H.
B. Brumbaugh.
Members of the family include his wife and the following children, Gladys,
Mrs. David BLYLER, of Williamsburg; Leoda, Mrs. Leray CRESSWELL, of
McConnellstown; Sherman B. Baird, of Middletown, and Hazel, Mrs. John
GIBBONEY, of Portsmouth, Va.  Also surviving are one sister, Lettie, Mrs.
Edward FICKES, of Altoona, and six grandchildren.
Mr Baird was educated in the schools of Hill Valley and was of the Brethren
faith. He was a good neighbor and a kind and devoted husband and father who
will be sadly missed by members of his family and all who knew him.  During
the earlier years of his life, Mr. Baird was employed in the PRR shops at
Altoona, bur during the past several years had been engaged in farming in
Hill Valley.
Funeral services will be held at the Bechtel funeral home on Wednesday in
charge of the Rev. Martin Scholten and Mrs. Scholten assisted by the Rev.
George L. Detweiler.  Interment will be made in Riverview cemetery.

Mrs. Mary Alice (HAFLEY) BRUMBAUGH, wife of Irving G. Brumbaugh, a lifelong
resident of Marklesburg and a highly respected citizen, died at her home at
1:15 p.m. Friday, August 22, 1941, following an illness of ----months
duration.  She was aged 72 years, 10 months, and six days.
Mrs. Brumbaugh was a daughter of Jacob H. HEFLEY and Catherine (MCCOWEN)
Hefley, both deceased, and was born at Marklesburg station on October 16,
1868.  She was married to Irvin G. Brumbaugh on December 15, 1892 in
She had the admiration of the entire community for her neighborliness and
kindness and was an ideal mother and of fine Christian character.  She was a
life long member of the Methodist church of Marklesburg and when health
permitted she was faithful in her church responsibilties.
Surviving are her husband and three children: Randall Brumbaugh and Mrs.
Martha BRADLEY, of Markleburg and M. Allen Brumbaugh, of Buffalo, N.Y.  A
brother, Clarence E. Hefley, of Kinttanning, Pa. also survives.
Funeral services will be held Monday, August 25 at the Marklesburg Methodist
church and will be conducted by the Rev. Paul Roland, pastor of the church.
Interment will be made in the Union cemetery at Marklesburg by Huff's
funeral service.

Mrs. Lydia MARSHALL, wife of Richard Marshall, of Rockhill Furnace, died in
the J.C. Blair Memorial Hospital on Wednesday, November 26, 1941, at 1:10
p.m.  She was aged 53 years, eight months and twenty-three days.
A daughter of Matthew and Martha (ELLIOTT) CAMPBELL, now deceased, she was
born in East Waterford on March 3, 1888.  On April 9, 1924 she was united in
marriage with Richard Marshall who survives with two sons; Dallas Long
Marshall, of Philadelphia, and Lee Marshall, at home.
Also surviving are these sisters and brothers: Mrs. Lizzie STONER and Mrs.
Mary KIRK of East Waterford; Frank CAMPBELL, of State College, and Charles
Campbell, of Columbia, Missouri.
Mrs. Marshall was a splendid Christian woman, and since making her home in
Orbisonia she had been a faithful member of the Methodist church.  A devoted
mother and a helpful neighbor, she will be missed by her many friends in the
Friends will be received in the Frank MADDEN home at Rockhill Furnace until
the hour of the funeral service.  The Rev. George McCahan, pastor of the
Orbisonia Methodist church will officiate.  Interment will be made in the
Nossville cemetery directed by Ott's funeral service.

Shannon O. HARCLERODE, a highly respected resident of Kistler, died in the
J.C. Blair Memorial hospital, early Sunday morning, Nov. 2, 1941 after an
illness of four days.  Death was due to a heart ailment.
He had lived in Mount Union since 1904 coming to be employed at the
Harbison-Walker Refractories cCompany.  He later helped to build the brick
plant which is now the North American plant and had since been employed
Born at Everett, Pa. June 26, 1870, he was the son of David and Mary (WILDS)
HARCLERODE.  He was united in marriage with Miss Estella SHOWALTER, October
25, 1893 at Everett when the Rev. David Clapper of the Church of the
Brethren performed the ceremony.  They established their first home in
Everett where he was keeper of the Thropp furnace until coming to Mount
Mr. Harclerode was a  member of the Church of the Brethren at Everett.
A lover of the outdoors and greatly interested in hunting, Mr. Harclerode
had bought a hunting license and had anticipated with much pleasure the
arrival of the hunting season.
Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Estella Harclerode, and the following
children, Chalmers, Mount Morris, N.Y.; Mrs. Lewis CAMINO, Lewistown; David
Harclerode of Mount Union.  There are 22 grandchildren and 11
One brother, S.F. Harclerode of Warren, Ohio, and one sister, Mrs. Oliver
EVANS of Perkiomenville, Pa., also survive.
Services will be held Wednesday afternoon at the late home in charge of Rev.
H.W. Hanawalt, of the Morrison Cove Home.  Interment will be made at Everett
by Clark's funeral home.

Mount Union, Pa., Oct. 30, 1933
Albert Owen CHILCOAT, a highly respected citizen  of Mount Union, died at
the home of his son, C. Arthur CHILCOAT, 121 West Garber street, Friday,
October 27, 1933 at 9:15 p.m.   He had been in failing health for two years
but was confined to bed one week before passing away.  Death was caused by a
stroke which he suffered at 4 a.m., the day he passed away.
Born at Orbisonia, November 22, 1857, Albert Owen Chilcoat was the son of
Benjamin Franklin and Rhuanna Chilcoat.  He grew to manhood there and in
1887 was united in marriage to Miss Sarah BARNETT.  She died February 18,
1932 and following her passing away Mr. Chilcoat failed daily in health.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Chilcoat lived in Orbisonia many years
until 1912.  While there he was employed by the East Broad Top Railroad Co.
>From there they moved to Blairs Mills where he was employed as an engineer
on the Tuscarora Valley Railroad until the wreck in May 1916 at East
Waterford when he was badly injured and disabled for some time.  In 1920 Mr.
and Mrs. Chilcoat moved to Allenport where they resided for about ten years.
Since the death of the mother Mr. Chilcoat had passed his time among the
children but he spent most of his time with two sons, B. Franklin CHILCOAT
and C. Arthur CHILCOAT at Mount Union.  He was a congenial gentleman and
made many friends in this vicinity.
Mr. Chilcoat was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Allenport.
Surviving are five sons, B. Frank Chilcoat, C. Arthur Chilcoat, and Alfred
Chilcoat of Mount Union; Melvin R. Chilcoat of Juniata and James Elmer
Chilcoat of Lewistown.  Thirteen grandchildren and two great grandchildren
also survive, as well as three sisters:  Mrs. Mary NORCROSS of Mount Union;
Mrs. Samuel O'NEAL of Rockhill and Miss Rebecca Chilcoat of Grand Junction,

Last Friday evening an automobile accident occurred, about 6 o'clock, near
the Reck farm, southeast of Mount Union, in which Lloyd Starr, was instantly
killed.  The youth was riding in an Austin roadster, driven by Wesley
Snyder,  of Orbisonia, who also owned the car.  Snyder was later arrested
and held in $500 bail for court, on a drunken driver charge.  The car is
said to have collided with a cement abutment and guard fence, throwing Starr
onto the hard surfaced road.  He sustained a compound fracture of the skull
and a broken neck.
The car was not badly damaged in this accident, but some time later as the
driver was going in the direction of his home, about eight miles from the
scene of the first accident, he lost control of the car, and it upset, and
he suffered injuries not of a serious nature.  The accident was investigated
by Patrolman E.A. Shoop, of the Huntingdon sub-station.  No inquest was
Lloyd STARR was a son of Frank and Elizabeth (LANE) STARR, of Rockhill
Furnace, and was born at Orbisonia, on October 7, 1903.  He would have been
thirty years of age, the day following his death.  He was unmarried and
resided with his parents in Rockhill Furnace.
Surviving besides the parents are the following brothers and sisters: Mrs.
Mazie CUTSHALL of Orbisonia, Mrs. Ruth WILSON of Pittsburgh, Mrs. Edith
DERRY of Altoona, Mrs. Belle GRISSINGER of Mount Union, Wilmer STARR, James
STARR, and Frank STARR, all at home.
Funeral services will be held Monday afternoon, October 9th, from the
parental home, conducted by Rev. M.S.Q. Mellott, pastor of the Orbisonia
M.E. church.  Interment was made in the IOOF cemetery, Rockhill Furnace,
A.F. Reihart, funeral director.

Thomas F. ARCHEY of Huntingdon, died in the Blair Memorial Hospital on
Saturday last, Jan. 27, after an illness of one week with pneumonia.  Mr.
Archey was the son of Johnson Archey and was born at Duncansville, on Aug.
8, 1864.  At the time of his death he was aged 52 years, 5 months and 19
days.  He was employed as a clerk in the early part of his life in the store
of Maurice ENYEART of Orbisonia.  Later he resided at Mt. Union.  He went to
Huntingon 19 years ago, entering the service of the P.R.R. Co. in August
1897, on the work train.  In April 1897, he was promoted to the freight
warehouse and in August 1899, he was appointed clerk in the freight station.
He became chief night clerk in May 1899, in which position he served until
the time of his death.
He was united in marriage to Miss Kate ROTHWELL, a daughter of Gideon and
Catherine ROTHWELL of Smyrna, Delaware.  He is survived by his wife and an
only son, Buell Archey, who is employed in the offices of one of the rubber
companies at Akron, Ohio.
Mr. Archey was a faithful member of the Presbyterian Church.  He was also a
member of the Pennsylvania railroad relief.  He was highly respected by all
who knew him, and in his death Huntingdon loses one of its best citizens.
The funeral was held from the Huntingdon Presbyterian Church on Tuesday
afternoon, services conducted  by Rev. R. P. Daubenspeck.  The cortege then
came by auto to Mt. Union, where  interment was made.
Mrs.Archey is a sister of Mrs. Jas. M. SHAVER and Miss Annie Rothwell of
town.  Mrs. W. KOUGH of Mechanicsburg, and Mrs. John GAYTON of Lewistown.

George S. BAKER, a highly respected citizen of Orbisonia, died at home
Friday morning, February 6th, 1920, aged 75 years.  He had been in feeble
health for some time.  Mr. Baker was a veteran of the Civil war and was also
a life long member of the U.B. Church.  He taught a class in Sunday School
for over forty years and was choir leader until his infirmities prevented.
He is survived by his wife and two married daughters, Mrs. Robert SOMERS, of
Punxsutawney and Mrs. James KESSLER, of Dubois, Pa., and a number of
Funeral services were held from the U.B. Church Monday conducted by his
pastor, Rev. J.H. Wenver and was largely attended.  A squad of late
servicemen in full uniform were present and assisted at the services at the
grave, thus showing a mark of respect to the departed veter-(the remainder
of the obituary is covered by another)

William O. RUTTER, at one time a resident of Orbisonia, but now residing at
Newark, New Jersey, died Wednesday morning, Jan. 27, 1915, at the home of
his father-in-law, George S. DEBRAY, on lower Ridgley street, after a
lingering illness of tuberculosis aged about 57 years.  Mr. Rutter was a
native of Orbisonia and resided here many years being engaged in business of
various kinds.  He at one time was postmaster, which position he filled very
creditably.  He was a good man, a kind father and husband and will be sadly
missed in the home where he loved to mingle with his family.  A chair is
vacant, father is gone, where there is no sickness, pain, or death, where
all is joy and happiness.  Mr. Rutter had been in delicate health for the
past year and came here a few months ago in the hope that he might be
benefited but the disease having too strong a hold on the victim he
gradually became weaker until death relieved him of all suffering.  He was
married to Miss Minnie DEBRAY, who still survives with two children, Harold
and Naomi, besides one sister, Mrs. D.R. P. ENYEART, of Orbisonia, and two
brothers, James RUTTER of Philadelphia, and Martin RUTTER of Myersdale, and
many other close relatives.  Funeral services were held from the home of Mr.
DEBRAY in charge of Rev. Carver of the M.E. Church after which  the remains
were tenderly laid to rest in the Odd Fellows cemetery in Rockhill to await
the blessed resurrection.  (Orbisonia Correspondence)

The body of Rev. John C. COLLINS, D.D., of this city, who died while on a
visit to his daughter, in Berlin, New Jersey, on June 14, arrived Saturday
evening at the Blatt Funeral Home here, where it was viewed by many friends
and former parishioners from 8 o'clock in the evening, until 11 o'clock
Monday morning when it was taken to the Methodist church, Newton Hamilton,
wehre it remained until 2:30 Monday afternoon, the time of the funeral
The services were in charge of Rev. A. S. Williams, superintendent of the
Harrisburg district of the Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist
church, assisted by other prominent ministers.  The Masonic rites were in
charge of Cromwell Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, No. 572, of Orbisonia.
Interment was made in Memorial cemetery, Newton Hamilton.
Rev. Dr. Collins was born at Saxton, March 1, 1872, the son of Rev. Preston
COLLINS and Mrs. Minnie COLLINS, both deceased. His father was presiding
elder of the Central Pennsylvania diocese of the Church of God, at the time
of his death.  Dr. John C. Collins was married March 20, 1895, to Miss Mary
Grace GEARHART, at Newton Hamilton.  He taught school in Mifflin county and
later entered Temple University, Philadelphia, from which institution he was
He entered the ministry of the Methodist church, in 1897, and was ordained
in 1901.  He served pastorates in Carthus, Alum Bank, Breezewood, Orbisonia,
Newport, Clearfield, Curwensville, Altoona and Williamsport.  He was  pastor
of Grace Methodist church, of Williamsport, when he was stricken on vacation
at Brandt Beach, L.I.  Since that time he had been an invalid, and resided
here and at Newton Hamilton.
Dr. Collins had charge of the Methodist Training Camp Association, at Newton
Hamilton, from 1907 to 1917.  He was a member of Cromwell lodge, F. and A.
M., No. 572, of Orbisonia, in a body and performed their ceremonies.
Dr. Collins is survived by his widow, three sons and one daughter.  They are:
Paul F. Collins of this city, Charles C. Collins of York, S. Thoburn Collins
of Lakeside, New Jersey, and Mrs. Albert SINER of Berlin, New Jersey, at
whose home he passed away.  Funeral arrangements were in charge of W. Q.

Mount Union, May 28.--Mrs. Martha Annie HAMMAN, for many years a resident of
Hill Valley, died Saturday morning at 12:15 after an illness of two hours,
suffering a heart attack, at her home at Singers Gap.  She had been in her
usual health prior to this.
Born March 5, 1856 in the vicinity of Orbisonia, which was at that time
called--------Furnace, Mrs. Hamman was a daughter of William and Ellen
(LONG) RINKER.  She was married to Peter HAMMAN March 17, 1874 at Cora.  The
greater part of her life was spent in Hill Valley.  The husband, who died in
1909, was a Civil War veteran and served in Co. 4, 88th Regiment,
Pennsylvania Volunteers, Infantry.
Mrs. Hamman was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Singers Gap
and was active in the work of the church.
Surviving are the following daughters: Mrs. Edna PULLEN and Mrs. Fannie
HOOPER, of Altoona; Mrs. Josephine SWOPE, of Hill Valley and Mrs. Nettie
GUTCHALL, of Huntingdon.  Four brothers as follows also survive: Benson
RINKER and Joseph RINKER of Allenport; Frank RINKER of Huntingdon and
William Curt RINKER of Tyrone.
Prayer service at the late home in Singers Gap, Tuesday and services will be
continued at the Singer Gap Methodist church in charge of Rev. Matlock,
assisted by Mr. Arthur HILL.  W. Q. Blatt will direct interment in the
nearby cemetery in Hill Valley.

Rev. Samuel A. NORRIS, a well-known retired minister of the Church of the
Brethren died at the home of his  daughter, Mrs. Elmer C. CUMMINS, 15
Milford street, this city, Saturday, March 19th, 1927, aged 77 years.  Death
was due to complications incident to age.
Samuel A. NORRIS was born on the old Norris homestead, near Fink's Bridge,
in Penn township, Huntingdon county, June 16th, 1849, a son of Thomas NORRIS
and Nancy (SNYDER) Norris, who during their lives were ardent members of the
Church of the Brethren.  He was the fourth of the thirteen children born to
his parents.  He attended common school until sixteen years of age, and
thereafter worked on his father's farm. He was united in marriage with Hanna
Jane DELL, the ceremony being performed on January 5th, 1871, by Rev. James
Clark, a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church. To them were born five
children, namely: Mrs. Herbert LONG, Hill Valley Road; Mrs. J.L. GABERT,
Mrs. Elmer C. CUMMINS, this city; Mrs. Harvey MASEMORE, Adel, Iowa; Samuel
R. NORRIS, Shirleysburg.  The following brothers and sister also survive:
Mrs. Oliver GARRETT, of Huntingdon; Lewis NORRIS, of this city; Reuben
NORRIS, of Oklahoma City; Joseph NORRIS, of Grafton, this county; Mrs.
William RUHL, of Lewisburg, and Martin NORRIS, of Marklesburg.
Mr. Norris and his wife united with the Church of the Brethren in the James
Creek congregation, about 1879, under theministry of George B. BRUMBAUGH,
elder, April first, 1884, they moved within the bounds of the Aughwick
congregation, whre he was called to the deacon's office in 1900, to the
ministry October 1902, advanced in October 1904 by the laying on of hands by
Tobias T. Myers and S. J. Sweigart, ordained to preach the gospel.  He
frequently represented his congretation at District meetings.  He held a
number of revival meetings in his home congregation, and was a leader in
Sunday school work, where he resided.  Mrs. Norris died October 17th, 1923,
and was laid to rest in Bowman's Chapel Cemetery in Smith Valley.
Mr. Norris was a resident of Hill Valley, a few miles south of here, from
1880, until the year following the death of his wife, when he came to Mount
Union to live with his daughter, Mr. Elmer C. CUMMINS and at whose home he
died.  Although Mr. Norris was  unable to get about much after coming to
this city, he formed friendships, and was highly esteemed and respected.
Short funeral services were held from the home of Mr. and Mrs. Cummins,
Milford street, Wednesday morning at nine o'clock, after which the body was
taken to the church of the Brethren, at Sugar Run, Hill Valley where the
services were concluded.  Burial followed in the Bowman's Chapel cemetery,
directed by W. P. Dunmire, of this city.

Mrs. John H. MILLER, formerly Miss Rosetta COOK, of Orbisonia, died at the
Black Mountain Sanitarium, in North Carolina, a few days ago, where she had
been a patient since October.  Death was due to tuberculosis, or lung
trouble.  Mrs. MILLER was well and favorably known in Orbisonia, where for
many years she taught the Primary Public schools and grew to womanhood.  She
was united  in marriage to John H. MILLER, a native of Fulton Co., who was a
prominent Chicago attorney, and, since their marriage they have been
residing in that city.  In addition to the bereaved husband and two children
Leonard and Helen, she is survived by her step-father and mother Mr. and Mrs
John H. MATTHEWS, and one full brother, and two full sisters Jessie COOK and
Mrs. Margaret DEBRAY and a number of half sisters and a half brother, all of
Altoona.  The deceased was aged about 38 years and for a long time had been
an earnest member of the Baptist church.  The remains were taken to Chicago
for interment.  The news of Mrs. Miller's death cast a gloom of sadness over
this community.  We extend our sympathy to the bereaved ones.

Archey QUERRY died at his home in Rockhill borough New Year's morning aged
about  45 years.  Death was due to spinal meningitis from which he suffered
about 10 days ago.  Deceased's wife died a little over two years ago, but is
survived by two daughters and other near relatives.  Mr. Querry was a
faithful employe of the E. B. T. Railroad and was a sitting Past Grand in
IOOF lodge of his town.  The funeral took place at Three Springs Wednesday,
conducted by Revs. Bower, of Mt. Union and Vought, of Orbisonia.  In the
death of Mr. Querry, Rockhill borough has lost an exemplary citizen and the
community at large mourn his departure.

Patterson OLIVER, an aged and respected resident of Cumberland Valley,
Bedford County, died on Dec. 14th, 1905, from dropsy of the heart.  The
deceased was the father of B. F. Oliver of Burnt Cabins, and who is well
known to many of the people of Mount Union he having worked here last
summer.  Patterson OLIVER was born on Oct. 31, 1821, and at his death had
reached a ripe old age.  He was a consistent member of the Methodist church
for about 30 years and had a host of friends in the community in which he
resided.  The funeral was held on Saturday the 15th of December, and the
interment was in charge of the Order of Odd Fellows.

Lawrence P. CLARK, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter CLARK, a telegraph
operator for the PRR Company was run down and instantly killed at the Avon
tower opposite Avon park, Girard, Ohio on Monday night, Oct. 9th.  Clark had
run out on the track to hand orders to the train crew.  The body was taken
to Niles, Ohio and prepared for burial, and later shipped to Shirleysburg
his former home where the funeral was held last Friday at 11 o'clock in
charge of Rev. Kennedy, and interment in the Douglas cemetery.  Deceased was
born Dec. 14, 1894.  He was aged 20 years 10 months and 5 days.  He is
survived by his father and mother J. Walter and Amanda CLARK, also 1 brother
and 2 sisters, James Clark of Orbisonia; Mrs. Anna SCHULTHIES of Brooklyn;
and Mrs. Grace MYERS of Shirleysburg.

Wm BAIR, a veteran of the Civil war died at his residence in Orbisonia early
Friday morning from a complication of diseases, aged about 72 years.  Mr.
BAIR had been in feeble health for about a year and at times suffered
intensely but he has gone where there is no sickness, pain or death.  He was
a good citizen and will be missed by his companion as well as by his
neighbors and friends.
He is survived by his wife and many other close relatives.  Funeral services
were held Sunday afternoon in the M.E. church in charge of the pastor, Rev.
Carver, after which the remains were tenderly laid to rest in Orbisonia
cemetery.  Thus another soldier had answered to his last roll.

Mrs. Mattie BURKETT, wife of David BURKETT, died on Sunday night, Dec. 26,
at the home of her sister, Mrs. George SHOWALTER, Williamsburg.  Mrs.
Burkett had been in declining health for the past year and was confined to
her bed for nine weeks preceding her death.  She with her husband resided in
Huntingdon for several years, located on Oneida street, near thecollege
where Mr. Burkett has been employed.  When his wife became ill and went to
stay with her sister, Mrs. Showalter, about two months ago, Mr. Burkett gave
up his position at the college to go and assist in nursing her.
Mrs. Burkett was born near Shirleysburg in Hill Valley in 1851.  Her maiden
name was MCCONAUGHY.  Besides her husband, she is survived by the following
sisters: Mrs. Maggie RONK of Piney Ridge near McConnellstown; Mrs. Maggie
RENINGER of McVeytown; Miss Catharine MCCONAUGHY of Huntingdon county; Mrs.
Sallie SHOWALTER and Mrs. Alice BURKETT, both of Williamsburg.
Mr and Mrs. Burkett resided in Mt. Union for a number of years and were well
known to most of our people.  In her death we feel that there has been
called a splendid woman who will be greatly  missed, not only by her husband
but by all those with whom her life came in contact.  The funeral service
was held on Tuesday following her death at the home of her sister in
Williamsburg, conducted by Rev. R. T. Whitely pastor of the Methodist
Church, of which denomination Mrs. Burkett was a lifelong member, having
joined at the age of 15.  The remains were taken to the Reformed Church at
Gilboa the following day and after services were held there by Rev. E. E.
McKelvy of Huntingdon, assisted by the choir of the Shirleysburg Methodist
Church, the remains were interred in the Reformed  cemetery adjoining.

Mr. and Mrs. Horace GRATZ left their home at this place Friday morning
February 6th to visit their daughter Mrs. Harry ZARTMAN at Shamokin. They
arrived there the same evening and after they left the trolley, they still
had some distance to walk and during this walk Mr. GRATZ was overcome with
heart trouble and had to be carried into the house.  A physician was called
but before his arrival Mr. Gratz had passed away.  He had been subject to
these attacks for some time.  The remains were brought to this place Monday
and funeral services were held from his late residence Tuesday afternoon,
conducted by Rev. Martin of the M. E. Church.  Mr. Gratz was born in
Orbisonia 65 years ago and is survived by his wife, two daughters and two
sons: Mrs. Maude ZARTMAN of Shamokin, Mrs. C. B. MILLER, of Pittsburgh;
Simon Gratz, of Orbisonia and Marshall Gratz, of Pontiac, Mich., all of whom
were present at funeral except Mrs. Zartman, who could not come on account
of sickness.  One brother Charles , and one sister Mrs. Jennie BREWSTER
survive.  Interment in Orbisonia cemetery.

John W. RIFFLE, well known and one of the most esteemed residents of
Shirleysburg, died at his home there on Thursday morning last, June 15th, at
2 o'clock, the result of a stroke of apoplexy which occurred on June 10th.
Deceased was born near Hagerstown (Tuesville) Maryland, Oct. 3, 1846, and
was aged 70 years all but 4 months.  The family resided in Maryland until
John was 10 years old, when they moved to Shirley township, this county,
settling in Love Valley.  Deceased was married first to Mary MORGAN, and to
the first union one son was born, Emory, now a resident of Alexandria, La.
The second time he was married to Martha HENRY and to the second union two
children were born, one son only living, B. W. RIFFLE now of Shirleysburg.
His second wife died about five years ago.  Mr. Riffle was a farmer most all
his life.  He was also a devout member of the Methodist Church.  He has many
friends and his death is a serious loss to the community.  Funeral was held
on Saturday morning form his late home, conducted  by his pastor, Rev.
Myers.  The remains were laid to rest in the Barton cemetery. Undertaker W.
P. Dunmire.

The body of Samuel RUTTER was found in the Aughwich Creek near Orbisonia
Wednesday, the supposition being that he drowned therein about 3 months ago.
He had been living by himself.  The body is now being prepared for burial by
undertaker Dunmire.

Harry Scott KNABLE, aged 9 months, 3 weeks and 5 days, died at the home of
his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wiliam KNABLE, in Allenport, on Jan. 10, 1915.
The little fellow was born Mar. 15, 1914.  Death was due to whooping cough
and pneumonia, terminating an illness of five weeks.  The funeral was held
in the Methodist church in Allenport on Thursday afternoon at  2 o'clock,
conducted by Dr. T. S. Wilcox.  The interment was made in the Mt. Nebo

The little crib is empty now,
The little clothes laid by;
A mother's hope; a mother's joy
In death's cold arm doth lie.
Go little pilgrim to thy home
On yonder blissful shore;
We miss thee here, but soon will go
Where thou hast gone before.

This lovely bud was young and fair,
Called hence by early doom;
Just came to show how sweet a flower
in Paradise would bloom.

E'er sin could harm, or sorrow fade,
Death came with friendly care,
The opening bud to Heaven conveyed
And bade it blossom there.

Sleep on in thy beauty,
Thou sweet angel child;
Thy sorrow unblighted,
by sin undefiled
Like the dove of the ark
Thou hast flown to thy rest;
>From the wild sea of strife
To the home of the blest.

Those little lips, so sweet to kiss
Are closed forever now;
Those sparkling eyes that shown so bright,
Beneath thy pearly brow.
That little heart that beat so high
Free from all care and gloom

Are hidden now, from those who love,
 Beneath the silent tomb.

  Mr. and Mrs. William Knable

Mrs. Ambrose PARSONS died on Saturday night at her home across the river
from Mount Union, from diptheria.  She had been ill for several weeks but
contracted the diptheria only two days before her death.  Her maiden name
was MORGAN, being born in Blacklog Valley, and at the time of her death was
aged 48 years. Emory MORGAN of Blacklog is a brother.  Deceased is survived
by her husband, a son and a daughter.  The funeral was held on Monday, Rev.
Carnell having it in charge, services at the house, the Palmer place, at the
end of the county bridge.  Interment at Salem.

Lizzie COX died at her home in Mt. Union on Monday morning, Oct, 2, 1916.
She was a daughter of Edward J. and Katharine (DRAKE) COX.  Deceased was
aged 7 years and 3 months.  She was born July 8, 1909.  Death came very
suddenly, as she was only ill for a few days, membraneous croup being the
cause.  She is survivd by her parents and seven brothers and sister as
follows: David, Fred; Alice, Mrs. Miles REEDER of Bucyrus, O.; Hope, Glen,
Charles and Ora.  She was one of a family of ten children, three of whom,
including the subject of this sketch, are deceased.  Fuenral was held
Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the home in charge of Rev. Carnell.
Interment was made at Orbisonia.

Mrs. Jennie Ryder GARVER, wife of B. Frank GARVER, died at her home in
Gilboa, near Shirleysburg, on Wednesday, Sept. 27, 1916, from a severe
attack of pneumonia.  She was aged 33 years, 6 months and 25 days.  Deceased
was born and raised near Dry Run, Franklin Co., and was joined in marriage
with Mr. Garver about 12 years ago.  She was an excellent woman, took great
pride in her family and was loved and esteemed by many.  She was brought up
in the Presbyterian church, but for the past 10 years had been a steadfast
member and supporter of the Dunkard Brethren church.  Her sudden death was
quite a shock to the entire community.  It has not only brought sorrow into
the home, but to her many friends, relatives and acquaintances.  Deceased is
survived by her husband and three young daughters; Arlene, 8 years old;
Mabel, 6 years old, and Helen aged 3 years.  She is also survived by her
mother, Mrs. Elizabeth RYDER, of Shirleysburg, and the following brothers
and sisters: Margaret, Mrs. Chas. GROVE of Lewistown; Blanche, Mrs. Wm.
ZEIGLER, of Chicago; Barbara, Mrs. George SITES, of Harrisburg.  The funeral
service was held at the Dunkard church in Germany valley on Sunday last,
Oct. 1st.  It was in charge of Rev. Samuel Norris and Rev. Geo. H. Swayne.
The church was crowded to the doors with relatives, neighbors and friends.
Interment was made in the cemetery adjoining the church.  Mr. Garver has the
sympathy of the entire community in his sad bereavement.

Miss Grace Lee MCLEAVY, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. MCLEAVY died Sunday,
Dec. 30, 1917, in New Mexico, aged about 20 years.
In October last her father took her to New Mexico thinking the climate might
benefit her but all to no avail.  The remains arrived home Friday evening.
Grace, about two years ago, contracted a severe cold from which lung trouble
developed.  All that medical skill and loving hands could render was to no
avail, she passed peacefully away on the above date.
She has gone from our midst, from mother and father, where there is no
sickness, pain or death.  A place is vacant in the home that never can be
During her illness she bore her affliction with great patience.  She was a
kind and dutiful daughter and was admired by a number of friends who are
deeply grieved over her departure.
Miss McLeavy was an active member of the Presbyterian church  for years and
filled various offices connected with the church and will be missed from the
services where she was always in attendance until prevented by illness.  She
was also a graduate of the Orbisonia public schools in the class of 1914 and
taught one term of school in Altoona the year following.
She is survived by her parents and aged grandparents, James A. YEATER and
wife and many other near relatives.  Funeral services were held from the
house Tuesday in charge of Rev. Kennedy and wer largely attended.  Interment
in Orbisonia cemetery.
Orbisonia Correspondent
Pennsylvania Marriage Announcements Collection

Return to Main Page - - Surname Search Utility - - - Marriage Search Engines