- making genealogy simpler; a free genealogy surname research tool that reaches for data from all over.

Miscellaneous Tarrant County, Texas Obituaries - 1940


Friday January 5         Services Held For Arlington Resident
     Rev. Hawkins, of Dallas conducted last rites at the Pantego church
Sunday for W. T. Jordon, 85, who for a number of years had made his home two
miles west of Arlington.
     Pallbearers were his grandsons Floyd Robinson, George Thomas, Arthur
Sandefier, H. A. Jordon, Arless Jordan, and Willie Poe.  Burial was in
Johnson Station Cemetery with Moore Funeral Home in charge.
     Survivors are his two sons and two step-sons, Clyde Jordon, Arlington;
Harvey Jordon, Fort Worth; John Leslie Poe and Fred Poe, Arlington; two
daughters, Mrs. Max King, Handley; and Miss Lallie Poe, Arlington and
fourteen grandchildren.

Friday January 5         Retired Postal Clerk Buried Wednesday
     Services were held at the Luttrell Funeral Chapel Wednesday morning at
10 o'clock for Robert E. Lee, 68, who died at his Arlington home Monday
morning. Rev. A. W. Hall, pastor of the Arlington Methodist church
officiated and interment was in the Laurel-Land cemetery, Dallas.
     Mr. Lee served as a Postal clerk at Dallas thirty years retiring in
May, 1933.  It was soon after his retirement that the family moved to
Arlington.  His membership was held at the Oak Cliff Christian Church.  He
was also a member of the A. N. O. P. O. C.
     Survivors are his widow, and daughter, Mrs. Mary Karger, Dallas; son,
Jesse E. Lee, Dallas; two grandchildren, Virginia Lee and Billy Max, Dallas;
two sisters, Mrs. Robert Swor, Houston; Mrs. Charles Dietz, Dallas; four
step-daughters, Mrs. Tom Spartton, Angleton, Mrs. J. R. Reed, Atlanta,
Georgia; Mrs. Mildred Carter, Shreveport, La.; and Mrs. R. V. Fayle, of

Friday January 5
               Services for J. H. Lawler at Handley Methodist Church
     Funeral services for J. H. Lawler, of Handley will be conducted from
the Methodist Church, Handley, Friday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, with the
Rev. Fenton, officiating.
     Mr. Lawler, 80, was a retired employe of the Marathon Oil Company and
had lived in Handley 17 years.
     Interment will be in the Rose Dale cemetery with the Moore Funeral Home
in charge.
     He is survived by his widow, three sons, and one sister.

Friday January 5    Robert Glover Dies In Dallas Hospital
     Robert Glover, eight year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Glover, died at
the Dallas Methodist Hospital Saturday of pneumonia.
     Robert had not been feeling well for a number of days and he suddenly
became much worse Friday and was taken to the hospital.
     Services were conducted Monday morning at 10 o'clock at the Lamar-Smith
Funeral Chapel.  Interment was in the Laral-Land Cemetery.
     Mr. Glover was formerly manager of the Arlington Gas Company and they
had lived in Arlington for seven prior to their move in May of last year.
     Robert is survived by his parents, and three brothers.  The Glovers
live at 812 South Bernon, Dallas.

Friday January 5         Retired Farmer Of Handley Dies
     P. W. Williams, retired farmer of Handley, died at his home New Years
day morning at 6 o'clock.  Mr. Williams and family have been known to
Handley citizens for the past twenty years.  Rev. Fitzgerald and Rev. Henry
T. Brannon, conducted services Tuesday afternoon at the Church of Christ,
Handley at 2:30 p.m., assisted by the Moore Funeral Home directors.
Interment was made in the Johnson Station cemetery.
     Mr. Williams, who was 84 years old is survived by his widow, two sons,
A. P. and L. H. Williams, Fort Worth; and four daughters, Mrs. J. E. Martin,
Mrs. H. D. Young, Mrs. G. H. Luck, of Handley; and Mrs. C. J. Featche,
Houston, 15 grandchildren and eight great grandchildren.
Friday January 12    Funeral Services Conducted For Harvey D. Morgan
     Rev. Arthur T. Bridges conducted funeral services last Saturday
afternoon at the Moore Funeral Chapel for Harvey D. Moore, who succumbed at
a Fort Worth hospital Friday morning after an illness of four months.  Mr.
Morgan, a retired farmer, resided at 2509 ????? Avenue, Fort Worth.
     He is survived by ????? six children, Mrs. Mary Harvey, of McAdoo,
Texas; Katherine, Dorothy, Betty, Jack and Harold Morgan, of Fort Worth; and
mother, Mrs. Mary K. Morgan, of Arlington; sisters, Mrs. E. A. Robinson, of
Tennessee, Mrs. Jack Goodman, Mrs. J. W. Spears, Mrs. Franks, of Justine;
and brother, H. L. Morgan, of Arlington.
     Burial was in the Parkdale cemetery.

Friday January 12        JOHNSON STATION          Mrs. Tyler Short
     We extend sympathy to Mrs. Hal P. Luck in the loss of her grandmother
of Dallas, who was buried Tuesday.

Friday January 12        Funeral Services For Accident Victim
     Rev. Galbraith Dalton conducted funeral services at the Moore Chapel
Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, for Miss Evelyn Willis, 28, of Fort Worth,
who was killed Tuesday morning in an automobile accident near Handley.
     Survivors are her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Sam Willis Sr., of
Stephenville; sisters, Misses Lucile and Arvelle Willis, Fort Worth; Mrs. M.
M. Latta of Silverton; and brothers, A. P. and Sam Willis Jr., of Fort
Worth; Herbert and Norwood Willis, Stephenville.

Friday January 19        Funeral Services For Robt. L. Huff
     Rev. Kermit T. Melugin, pastor of the Baptist Church of Arlington,
conducted funeral services at the Masonic chapel Thursday morning for Robert
L. Huff, who died at the Masonic Home Wednesday following a few day's
illness.  He was 75.
     For three years the deceased had lived at the Masonic Home.  He was a
member of the Julian Field Mason chapter, Fort Worth, and also a member of
the Broadway Baptist church.  Burial was in the Mt. Olivet cemetery, with
the Moore Funeral Home attendants in charge of arrangements.
     Survivors are his widow and daughters, Mrs. H. Huffman and Miss Mary
Lee Huff, all of Fort Worth.

Friday January 19        EULESS NEWS         Mary Blackwell
     We wish to extend our sympathy to Mrs. C. A. Horton of this community
whose father, Mr. C. E. Orrick of Fort Worth, passed away last week after an
illness of several weeks.

Friday January 26        Longtime Resident Of Arlington Dies
     Funeral services were conducted at the Moore Funeral Home Thursday
afternoon at 4:30 o'clock for George W. Sanders, 73, a resident of Arlington
for 65 years.  He died at his home here Wednesday morning.
     Rev. John H. Patterson officiated and interment was in the Noah
     Mr. Sanders a building contractor, came to Arlington with his parents
from his birthplace in Ala.
     Survivors are his widow; three daughters, Mrs. George Cribbs, Mrs. Roy
Smith, and Mrs. Fletcher Robbins, all of Arlington, and two grandchildren.

                    Pioneer Dr. Dies
                    (picture of Dr. W. H. Davis)
     A host of friends gathered at the Presbyterian Church Thursday
afternoon, at 2:30 o'clock to pay a last tribute to Dr. William Harold
Davis, 81, who died at his Arlington home early Wednesday morning.  His
passing draws to a close a prominent career as a practicing physician of
Tarrant County for more than half a century.  He had been ill for the last
27 months as a result of a partial stroke of paralysis.
     Services were conducted by John H. Patterson, pastor, Rev S. M.
Bennett, pastor of the Arlington Heights Presbyterian Church, Fort Worth,
who read the scripture, and Rev. A. W. Hall, of the Arlington Methodist
Church, offering a prayer.
     Dr. Clyde Jay Garrett, Mrs. W. L. Hughes, Miss Christine Jones, and L.
H. Flynt, sang "In the Garden" and "Abide with Me."  The profusion of
beautiful flowers were mute expression of Dr. Davis' wide circle of friends
throughout the State.
     He was born in Smythe County, Virginia, 11 miles east of Marion, Dec.
12, 1859 on his fathers farm.  He attended neighborhood school, two sessions
and an agricultural college and two years under a preceptor before he
entered Physicians and Surgeons College, now combined with the State
University at Baltimore, Md.  He was graduated from the college at the age
of 21, in time to have his kit packed and go down to Washington the morning
of March 4, 1881 to hear President Hayes inaugurated.
     Texas was considered "the jumping off place" at that time, but Dr.
Davis saw opportunity in the new state, and set out on the 10-days trip,
accompanied by his brother.  He spent one night in Dallas coming via rail to
Arlington the next day. and spent the night at the (unreadable.....) next
day ??? Handley and decided to locate there.
     Dr. Davis spent $25 of his $65 capital for a quick-stepping pony.  A
saddle took $l30 more.  He accepted the offer of sleeping quarters at the
back of a drug store and waited for his first patient.
     Three days later, breaking his picket rope in a storm, the pony was
crippled.  It hardly would have been more tragic if the doctor had lost his
medicine kit.  The Handley folks, however, were neighborly.  They lent him a
horse, and it wasn't long before he got one of his own for treating two
cases of scarlet fever.
     Arlington with its bigger population and frequent gun battle looked
more profitable to Dr. Davis after six years of treating Handley's aches and
pains, and he made the move.
     Frequently he recalled that at the time he opened his Arlington office
there were seven saloons in the town and seven "feuds" for every saloon.
Consequently, though malaria raged in those days, he administered first aid
for gunshot wounds oftener than he measured out quinine.
     After a few weeks he was appointed city physician, a post he held for
20 years.
     Once in a wholesale shooting on the railroad station platform on
Christmas Eve, four men were shot to death and another was so seriously
wounded that he lived barely long enough to be taken to the county jail and
made comfortable on a cot.  Dr. Davis took him to the jail on a midnight
train and had to wait in Fort Worth until he could get a train back the next
day.  When he got back the town was in an uproar.  The shooting had been the
outburst of an old fued.  Two men came to the doctor and got a list of all
his patients, so that if he were needed quickly it wouldn't be difficult to
find him.
     Shortly after he moved to Arlington he joined Dr. H. C. Stevens in
partnership.  The very pleasant partnership continued for four years until
Dr. Stevens moved to Fort Worth to practice.
     He was active at all times in the social and civic life of his
community.  He served as both alderman and mayor.  While mayor he signed the
first bond issue for the first sewer system of the town.  He also was a
charter member of the Arlington Chamber of Commerce and served it as
     He was active in the Fort Worth and Tarrant County Medical Association
and at one time served as vice president of the body.
     Dr. Davis also was a charter member of the Arlington Knights of Pythias
Lodge.  He was an elder of the Arlington Presbyterian Church at the time of
his death.
     Politics was another of his interests.  A life long Democrat, at one
time he was a member of the Tarrant county executive committee.
     Notwithstanding his other interests, Dr. Davis' chief delight was his
automobile.  For more than 20 years he served his patients on horseback,
then by horse and buggy.
     When automobiles came, Dr. Davis was the owner of the third one in
Tarrant County.
     Dr. Davis is survived by his widow; two sons, Olin Davis, 1419 Thomas
Place, Fort Worth, and Dr. Charles H. Davis, Arlington; two daughters, Mrs.
G. C. Thompson and Mrs. W. Harold Watson, Arlington, and seven
     Pallbearers were Charles Coulter, Walter Leverett, Francis Harvey, Will
G. Hiett, Web Rose, John Houston and Champ Barnes, and George Beggs of Fort

Friday January 26
          Services Held For Mrs. A. H. Stewart At Me. Church
     Last rites for Mrs. A. H. Stewart, 81, widow of the late A. H. Stewart
of Arlington, were held at the Methodist Church Tuesday morning at 10
o'clock, with her former pastor Rev. W. W. Moss, of Dublin, assisting Rev.
A. W. Hall during the services.
     Mrs. Stewart succumbed to an injury received New Year's day when she
fell sustaining a broken hip.  Her passing came Monday morning at the home
of her daughter, Mrs. F. R. Hickman, E. Abram.
     Shortly after her marriage she and her husband settled at Hico,
Hamilton county, where they lived until their move to Arlington several
years ago.  She had been an untiring worker in the Methodist church for
seventy years.
     Burial was in the Little Bethel cemetery, Cedar Hill community, with
the Moore Funeral Home in charge of arrangements.
     Active pallbearers were Messrs. Jack Mauldin, E. B. Foster, Carl
Beasley, S. L. Morgan and Francis E. Perry, of Dublin.
     Survivors are two daughters, Mrs. W. L. Anderson, Phoenix, Ariz., and
Mrs. F. R. Hickman, Arlington; four sons, Clyde Stewart, of Copperas Coe,
Texas, Walter, Emmitt and Claud Stewart, Gatesville; twentythree
grandchildren and sixteen great grandchildren.

Friday January 26        Dies at Dallas After Short Illness
     Rev. A. W. Hall, pastor of the Methodist church, conducted Wednesday
afternoon services at the Moore Funeral Chapel for Mrs. Maybell King, 59,
who died following a short illness at the home her son, John C. King, 2751
Brandon Avenue, Dallas, Tuesday morning.
     She formerly lived in Arlington (unreadable....)  Interment was in the
Arlington cemetery.
     Survivors are a son John C. King, daughter, Mrs. D. G. Reese, of
Oklahoma City; a sister, Miss Maurine Keathley, and brother, Don F.
Keathley, of Dallas, and two grandchildren.

Friday February 2        W. R. FREEMAN DIES IN DALLAS HOSPITAL
     Funeral services were held at Teague Wednesday morning for W. R.
Freeman of Dallas who died in a Dallas hospital Monday morning of pneumonia.
Mr. Freeman was a brother-in-law of Mr. and Mrs. S. L. Perry, and those
attending the funeral from Arlington besides the Perrys were Mrs. Charlie
Gregory and Mrs. Sam Wine.  He is survived by his wife, who is Mrs. Perry's
sister, his parents and three sisters.

Friday February 2        W. W. MOSS' SISTER DIES
     W. W. Moss returned to Arlington Tuesday from Memphis, Tenn., where he
attended the funeral services for his sister, Miss Lula Moss, Sunday
afternoon.  Mrs. Moss spent the week end in Fort Worth during her husband's

Friday February 2        Masonic Burial Held At Paris
     The body of B. T. Jenkins, 88, was sent to Paris, Texas, Tuesday for a
Masonic burial, conducted by the Paris Masonic chapter No. 27, Thursday
afternoon.  The Moore Funeral Home prepared the body for interment at Long
cemetery located at Powerdly, Texas, near Paris.
     Mr. Jenkins came to Arlington 10 years ago, at which time he became a
member of the Masonic Home.  He leaves his widow and one daughter.

Friday February 9        Injuries Prove Fatal For T. R. Lomix
     Funeral services were conducted Friday morning at the Moore Funeral
Home at Handley for Thurman Ray Lomax, 26, who died at a Fort Worth hospital
Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock from injuries sustained January 8th, while
working on a gravel pit.
     Mr. Lomax is survived by his widow, who resides on Galveston Avenue,
Fort Worth; his mother, Mrs. Emma Ishmon, Fort Worth; one sister, Miss Helen
Lomax, Los Angeles, and grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Cammody, of Hico.
     Interment was in the Hannibal Cemetery near Stephenville.

Friday February 9   Son-In-Law Of F. E. Shanks Dies In Sherman
     Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Shanks and daughter of Yoakum attended funeral
services for the Shanks' son-in-law, Dr. Walter L. Barr, Saturday at 3 p.m.
in Sherman.  Dr. Barr was pastor of the Sherman Travis Street Methodist
Church and he died Thursday in a Sherman hospital of a heart attack.
     Dr. Barr first suffered a heart attack while he was preaching at the
preceding Sunday morning service.  He filled his pulpit as usual Sunday
night, but entered a hospital Tuesday afternoon where his condition steadily
grew worse.
     He was an active worker in the Boy Scout movement and an honorary
member of the Rotary Club.
     Surviving are his widow; two sons, T. G. Barr of Phoenix, Arizona, and
Allen of Sherman, and three daughters, Mrs. M. C. Dalchau of Llano, and
Misses Allene and Genevieve Barr of Sherman; a sister, Mrs. W. C. Durham of
Bristol, Fla., and two granddaughters, Marjorie Ann Dalchau of Llano, and
Barbara Barr of Phoenix.  Allen and Allene are 21 year old twins, and with
Genevieve, are students at Southwestern.

Friday February 9             DIES IN OKLAHOMA
     John Bourne, half brother of Mrs. J. M. Gregory died Tuesday at his
home in Durant, Oklahoma.  Mr. Bourne had been ill with pneumonia for about
a week and Dr. and Mrs. Gregory spent last Saturday and Sunday at his
     While the Gregorys were in Oklahoma Mrs. Gregory saw one of her half
brothers, Albert Bourne, whom she had not seen in 32 years.

Friday February 9             JOHNSON STATION     Mrs. Tyler Short
     News was received by Mrs. Swafford of the death of Miss Sarah Swafford,
age 89, of McLain.  She was the oldest sister of the late S. S. Swafford.
She was also the aunt of Mrs. Julian Melear.  She was once a resident of
this community and her many old time friends will be grieved to learn of her

Friday February 9                  JOHNSON STATION     Mrs. Tyler Short
     T. B. Davis died Saturday night at his home after a 5 year illness,
during which he was confined to his bed.  About two weeks ago Mr. Davis
suffered an attack of flu and his condition steadily grew worse.  Funeral
services were conducted at the Moore Funeral Home by Rev. Ike T. Sidebottom.
Interment was in the Grand Prairie cemetery.
     (unreadable....) and later came back to Texas, in 1890.  He is survived
by his wife and 7 children, 5 boys and 2 girls, 24 grandchildren and 15
great grandchildren.

Friday February 9             Succumbs After Lingering Illness
     Death claimed T. B. Davis, 78, Saturday morning at 10:30 o'clock after
a lingering illness covering the past five years.  He passed away at his
home south of Arlington.
     Mr. Davis and family have made Tarrant county their home for twenty
years.  He leaves as survivors his widow, two daughters, Mrs. A. N. Lawing
of Arlington and Mrs. Ben Galmon, Florence Hill, five sons, H. H. of Ferris,
T. R. of Midlothian, Clyde of Arlington, Steve McAlister, Oklahoma; and Bill
of Phoenix, Arizona, and twenty-nine grandchildren.
     Moore Funeral Home conducted services at their chapel Sunday afternoon
at 3:30 o'clock, with the Rev. Ike T. Sidebottom conducting.

Friday February 9        Richard S. Kelly Dies At Fort Worth
     Richard S. Kelly, 65, died at a Fort Worth hospital Sunday following
one week's illness.  Last rites were held at Mt. Pleasant Monday with the
Revs. Wilson Canafox and Tuhrman (?) Shoemaker officiating.  Interment was
in the Parkdale Cemetery with Moore Funeral Home in charge.
     Survivors name his wife, five daughters, three sons, three sisters and
two brothers.

Friday February 16       R. T. McFadin Rites To Be Today
     Funeral services will be held at the Moore Funeral Chapel this
afternoon at 2:30 for R. T. McFadin, 89, who was burned to death Wednesday
night when his home in the Webb community caught fire.
     He had lived in the county for 84 years.  Rev. Ike Sidebottom will
officiate and burial will be in the Watson cemetery.
     He is survived by his wife, three sons, J. P., H. G. and Clint, all of
Arlington and five daughters Mrs. W. D. Staley, Dallas; Mrs. J. D. Ishom
Arlington; Mrs. Lizzie Dewberry, Mrs. J. W. Webb and Mrs. N. E. Ward of Fort

Friday February 16            PANTEGO        Mrs. C. P. Sebastian
     Our community was saddened by the death of Mrs. Josie Graham Saturday
at noon in a Fort Worth hospital.  She was taken suddenly ill Friday.  Her
many friends will miss her, as she was very much beloved by every one.  Mr.
and Mrs. Charles Graham of Clayton, N. M., John Graham of San Antonio, and
Mrs. Pennycuff of Marshall came for the funeral.

Friday February 16
     Mr. and Mrs. Charles B. Graham of Clayton, New Mexico, who were here to
attend the funeral services of his mother, Mrs. Josie G. Graham, who died
Saturday, left Wednesday for their home.

Friday February 16       Services Held For Mrs. Josie Graham
     Funeral services were held at 3 p.m. Sunday at the Pantego Church for
Mrs. Josie G. Graham, 76, who died Saturday in a Fort Worth hospital.  The
services were conducted by Rev. W. E. Hawkins of Dallas and Rev. Al Brown,
pastor of the Pantego Church.
     (unreadable.....) Mrs. Graham was born in Sulphur Springs and she first
came to Tarrant County 48 yrs ago.  She lived in the Watson community for 45
years before moving to the Pantego community 3 years ago.  She had been
active worker in the Baptist Church since she was 16.  She always had a
great interest in her community and had a host of friends.
     Her husband died in 1933 and she is survived by three sons, John S.
Graham of Kennedy, Chas. B. Graham of Clayton, N. M., and Denton Graham of
the Pantego community, and two daughters, Mrs. Walter Bailey of Grand
Prairie and Mrs. Mamie Clark of Arlington.
     Burial was in the Watson Cemetery with the Moore Funeral Home in

Friday February 23       W. F. Wolfe Rites In Cedar Hill
     Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 1 o'clock at Cedar
Hill, for W. F. Wolfe, 72, who died Monday at 12 o'clock after a three weeks
     Mr. Wolfe, a farmer of the Cedar Hill community, is survived by his
wife.  Others name four sons, two daughters, and nineteen grandchildren.
Burial was made in the Grand Prairie cemetery with Moore Funeral Home in

Friday February 23       Father Of Mrs. R. F. Ball Dies At Handley
     F. H. Lacey, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. R. F. Ball, near
Handley Friday afternoon.  He had only been ill a few days.  He is
remembered in Arlington since many visits were paid his daughter while she
made her home here.
     Revs. Felton and Newby, of Fort Worth, conducted the services Saturday
afternoon at the Handley Methodist church.  Interment was in the Parkdale
cemetery with Moore Funeral Home in charge.
     Serving as pallbearers were his grandsons, Robert, Fred and Claud Ball,
R. B. Wilder, Allen and Robert Jarvis.

Friday February 23       Services Are Held For John Lawson
     Funeral services were held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Pantego Church
for John Lawson, 64, who died early Tuesday morning of pneumonia in a Fort
Worth hospital.  The last rites were conducted by the Rev. Ike T.
     Mr. Lawson, who had been ill a little over a week, was a farmer on the
Oscar Gray Pecan farm in the Pantego community.  He was born in Arkansas and
came to Texas as a youth.  He had lived in Tarrant County for the past 16
     Survivors are his widow; 6 sons, Claude, Aubrey, Hillery, Herbert,
Anthon, and Alton; two daughters, Mrs. Clifford Fuller and Mrs. Richard
Rogers, all of Arlington; 5 brothers and 1 sister.
     Burial was in the Johnson Station Cemetery with Moore Funeral Home in

Friday February 23
          Grandsons Act As Pallbearers At R. T. McFadin Rites.
     Rev. Ike Sidebottom conducted services at the Moore Funeral Home last
Friday afternoon for R. T. McFadin, 89, who was burned to death Wednesday
night of last week when his farm home, at Webb, caught fire.  Mr. McFadin
had been a resident of Tarrant county for eighty years.
     The origin of the fire was not determined nor discovered until the
house was engulfed in flames.  As Mr. McFadin attempted to make his way out
of the house the roof collapsed pinning him underneath the flames.
     Born October 18, 1850 in Tennessee he was the son of Mr. William
McFAdin, who was a racehorse breeder (?) at Kentucky before moving to
Tennessee.  His mother was the former Emily Davis, also of Kentucky.  At the
age of five the McFadins moved to Texas, and settled in Tarrant County,
Watson community.  His friends and younger members of his family have
enjoyed many stories about his early days.  In his boyhood he was a cowhand
and later rode as a Texas ranger.  He enjoyed reminiscing and his favorite
tales told of the Negro slaves and the Indian raids.  He acted as one of the
guards over the graves at Watson community so thickly settled was the
section with Indians.  He was present at the first court session ever held
in Dallas County where the jurymen sat on a log on the Trinity River bank.
     When Mr. McFadin first came to this country there was only one store in
Fort Worth and Dallas was not known.  He grew into manhood and added years
as both these country towns developed into prominent Texas cities.  During
these years he started farming near Arlington.  He joined the Church of
Christ many years ago, then located at Shady Grove, northeast of Arlington.
     Eleven years ago he bought the two-acre plot at Webb.  Since that time
he has been retired.  He was always interested in the civic and social
developments and gained a host of fiends during his years in this section of
the country.  Many feel that with his passing one of the last old land marks
in Tarrant county fades and takes with it one of its beloved citizens.
     Pallbearers were grandsons, Harvey Staley, Jack McFadin, Truman McFadin
and Everett McFadin.
     Burial was in the Watson cemetery beside his parents who passed away
over sixty years ago.
     Surviving Mr. McFadin are his wife, Mrs. Lula McFadin and eight
children, three sons, J. T., H. G., and Clint McFadin, of Arlington, five
daughters, Mrs. W. D. Staley, Dallas; Mrs. J. D. Isom, Arlington; Mrs. N. F.
Ward, and Mrs. Lizzie Dewberry, Fort Worth, thirty two grand children and
thirty great-grandchildren.

Friday February 23
          Heart Ailment Is Fatal To Eugene Overton Davenport
     Eugene Overton Davenport, 55, of Dallas died Tuesday night in a Fort
Worth hospital.  Mr. Davenport had been in the hospital 10 days and he had
been ill with a heart ailment for over a year.
     Funeral services were held at Ranger at 2 p.m. yesterday with Rev. A.
W. Hall of Arlington, assisted by Dr. Alred Brown, Ranger pastor,
officiating.  Interment was in the Evergreen cemetery.
     He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Ella Davenport, a sister, Estelle
Davenport, both of Arlington, and two brothers, Pearl Davenport of Sulphur
Springs and J. A. Davenport of Arlington.

Friday February 23       Last Rites Held For Lloyd Haas
     Rev. S. M. Bennett conducted funeral services at the Moore Chapel
Wednesday afternoon for Lloyd R. Haas, who died at his home Tuesday
afternoon after a several months illness.
     Mr. Haas, who lived on the Grapevine Road, had been a resident of
Arlington for 14 years.  He formerly lived in Dallas and was in the
insurance business.
     Survivors are his wife, one daughter, Mrs. Rex E. Mullis, one brother,
Fred Haas of Michigan City, Ind., and one granddaughter.
     Burial was in the Laurel Land Cemetery, Dallas.

     Frederick Traynor, 70, died Wednesday morning at the Masonic Home for
the Aged after a several month's illness.  He had been a resident of the
Home for the past 6 years, coming here from San Antonio, and he was a
retired bookkeeper.
     Masonic funeral services will be conducted at Labinal, Texas, this
afternoon at 2 o'clock.  Moore Funeral Home will be in charge.

Friday February 23            PANTEGO        Mrs. C. P. Sebastian
     The community extends sympathy to the family of J. M. Lawson, who
passed away early Tuesday in a Fort Worth Hospital.  Mr. Lawson had been ill
only a short time.  Surviving him are his wife, six sons and two daughters.
Services were held at Pantego Church Wednesday morning with interment at
Johnson Cemetery.

Friday February 23            PANTEGO        Mrs. C. P. Sebastian
     Messrs. A. S. Henry, E. A. Henry and Miss Josephine Henry accompanied
Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Henry Sr., of Fort Worth to Dallas, Saturday afternoon
to attend the funeral of Mrs. R. M. S. Grady, a life-long friend of the
Henry family.

Friday February 23            WEBB NEWS Pauline Waits
     Funeral services were held at Arlington Friday afternoon for R. T.
McFadin who was fatally burned when his home burned, and burial was in the
Watson cemetery.
     Surviving Mr. McFadin are his widow, Mrs. J. D. Isom, of Arlington,
formerly of Webb, Mrs. N. E. Ward and Mrs. Lizzie Dewberry, Fort Worth, Mrs.
J. W. Webb, Fort Worth, Mrs. W. D. Staley of Dallas and three sons, J. P.,
H. G., and Clint all of Arlington, and a number of grandchildren and great-

Friday February 23            WEBB NEWS Pauline Waits
     We wish to extend our sympathy to Mrs. Ruby Womble and family on the
recent loss of her father, Mr. Wolfe, of Cedar Hill.  Mr. Wolfe had been in
ill health for several years and passed away Monday, February 20.
Friday February 23       E. D. Morrow Succumbs To Injuries
     E. D. Morrow, 35, died Wednesday in a Fort Worth hospital from head
injuries received when a horse kicked him Thursday of last week.
     Mr. Morrow lived on the Sanders Dairy Farm on the Randol Mill Road.
     Funeral services were held Thursday at 4 p.m. at the Moore Funeral
Chapel with Rev. S. M. Bennett officiating.  Burial was in the Parkdale

Friday March 1      Services Held For Masonic Home Member
     Funeral services are to be held this afternoon at the Masonic Chapel
for Mrs. Addie Wood, 79, who Thursday died at the Masonic Home.  Her home
had been with the home for seven years.  She and her husband, who survives,
had been married sixty-three years.  Before entering the institution they
made their home at Whitesboro.
     Rev. S. M. Bennett will conduct the rites with the assistance of the
Moore funeral Home attendants.  Burial will be in the Keystone cemetery.

Friday March 1      EULESS NEWS
     The many friends of Albert Pool and family sympathize with them greatly
in their double loss.  Last Sunday noon Mr. Pool's mother passed away and
Monday night his grandmother, Mrs. Sturgis died.  They both resided at
Pleasant Glade and their funerals were held there.

Friday March 1      EULESS NEWS
     We are also very much saddened by the death of Mrs. S. A. Godfrey.
Mrs. Godfrey lived in our community for years, but she had lived near
Burleson the past few years.

Friday March 1      EULESS NEWS
     Reece, Rex, Ray, Ross and Bob Fitch were called to Fort Smith, Arkansas
last weekend by the death of their sister, Mrs. John Blackwell.

Friday March 1      Last Rites Held For J. C. Cobb
     Rev. George S. Stevens, Christian Science reader, conducted funeral
services at Lutterell Chapel, Saturday afternoon for Jesse Clifford Cobb,
50, who last Friday passed away at his Arlington home, at 2:30 o'clock.  Mr.
Cobb had claimed Arlington as his home for twelve years, during which time
he made a host of friends.  He was a 32 degree mason, his membership being
(unreadable) Dallas.  His association with Pritchard-Abbot company, Fort
Worth, placed him in the capacity of Petroleum engineer and Petroleum tax
     Pall bearers were a chosen group of owners and employees of the
Pritchard-Abbot company.  Burial was made in the Rose Hill cemetery, with
Luttrell Funeral Home directing.
     Survivors besides his widow are his daughter, Miss Jenevieve Cobb, two
brothers, L. R. Cobb of Tyler; S. A. Cobb, California; three sisters, Mrs.
A. V. Tison, Denton, Mrs. M. A. Hurley, Oklahoma City, and Mrs. J. A.
Morris, Atlantic, Iowa, and Miss Mollie Allen, an Aunt.

     Lieutenant Marshall Camp of Allbrook Field, Canal Zone, writes that on
the President's recent cruise down that way, eighteen airplanes circled his
ship as he approached the Canal.  Later, when he had landed, he passed along
in front of these eighteen planes with their pilots on an inspection tour.
Camp was one of the pilots.

Friday March 8
          Last Rites Held At Church Of Christ For Mrs. W. Bailey
     Funeral services for Mrs. May Victoria Bailey, 57, active worker in the
Arlington Church of Christ, were conducted at the church Wednesday afternoon
at 3 p.m. by Rev. Frederick J. Ross.  Burial was in the Arlington Cemetery
with Luttrell Funeral Home in charge.
     Mrs. Bailey died Monday night at her home after a short illness.  She
has been a resident of Arlington for the past thirty years.  Survivors are
her husband, W. E. Bailey; three sons, James B., Robert L., and Herbert M.
Bailey all of Arlington; three daughters, Mrs. O. E. Jones, of Grand
Prairie, Mrs. A. G. Gardner and Mrs. J. K. Lee, of Fort Worth.

Friday March 8      JOHNSON STATION     By Mrs. Tyler Short
     Mr. and Mrs. Jack Wynn and G. F. Cremer attended the funeral Tuesday of
Mr. Wynn's mother, Mrs. Nellie Wynn of Handley.  The funeral was held at
Gainesville, Texas.  We extend sympathy to Mr. and Mrs. Wynn in the loss of
their mother.

Friday March 8      JOHNSON STATION     By Mrs. Tyler Short
     Mr. Williams' mother, Mrs. Richie of Gladewater died at her home
Saturday.  Mr. and Mrs. Williams and family attended the funeral Sunday.

Friday March 8      EULESS NEWS         By Mary Blackwell
     The many friends of the late Rev. E. D. Reece greatly mourn his
passing.  He was pastor of one of our churches for several years.

Friday March 8
          Services Held At San Angelo For Major Horace Bates
     Sunday morning services were conducted at San Angelo, for Major Horace
Charles Bates, 60, who was found dead in his Cooper hotel room, Friday
morning when he failed to respond to an early call.  Not having been well
for several weeks Major Bates, retired to his room early Thursday evening,
complaining of a slight attack of indigestion.
     Major Bates saw service in the World War and at the time of his death
was associated with an Insurance firm at Longview.  Survivors name his
father, whose home is in South Dakota, and two children, a son and daughter,
of California.
     Moore Funeral Home directed the services.

Friday March 8      Former Resident Dies
     Frederick Fraust, who died at his Fort Worth home Sunday morning of a
heart attack formerly lived in Arlington.  Friends here attended funeral
services held Tuesday morning, at Fort Worth.
     Mr. Fraust had walked into the house (unreadable...) the yard when the
attack occured.  He died before a physician could be called.

Friday March 8      Services Held For T. W. Lanningham
     Rev. Whirmier, of Fort Worth, conducted last rites at the Luttrell
Chapel Monday afternoon for Thomas W. Lanningham, 29, of Ft. Worth, who died
Sunday at a Fort Worth hospital.  Interment was in the Arlington cemetery.
     Besides Mr. Lanningham's widow and daughter, other survivors are his
parents, Mr. and Mrs. L. T. Lanningham, two brothers and one sister, all of
Fort Worth.

Friday March 8     Resident of John White Community Passes Away
     Funeral services were conducted at Moore Funeral Home, Handley,
Saturday for Joseph J. Pruiett, 84, who passed away at his farm home Friday
night, after a several day's illness.  He had lived in the John T. White
community for fourteen years.
     Burial was in the Gleenwood cemetery, Fort Worth.

Friday March 8 Mrs. Nellie Wynn Dies At Handley
     Mrs. Nellie Wynn, 71, widow of J. L. Wynn and mother of Jack K. Wynn,
of Arlington, died at her home three miles northeast of Handley, Monday,
after a three weeks illness.
     Mrs. Wynn had lived in Tarrant county for 18 years.  Her husband who
died last year, was a retired merchant.
     Other survivors are two sons, G. G. Wynn, Handley; William C. Wynn,
Fort Worth, two brothers, lH. C. and Bob Cottrell, both of Pampa, and a
sister, Mrs. Lela Rabon, Pampa.
     Funeral services were conducted at 3 p.m. Tuesday.  ???? Carroll?????
in Gainesville by a Christian Science, reader.  Burial was in the Fairview
cemetery, Gainesville.

     John W. Pierce, 76, aged member of the Masonic Home, died suddenly
Sunday morning.  Services were held at the Masonic Chapel Tuesday afternoon
and interment was made in Mt. Olivet cemetery, Fort Worth, with Moore
funeral Home in charge.

Friday March 8
     Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Wester, were called to Longview Sunday where her
grandmother passed away.  Services were held at Gladewater Monday afternoon.

Friday March 22          Services Held For Jack Wardlaw Baby
     Funeral services were conducted by Rev. John H. Patterson, pastor of
the Presbyterian church, Sunday afternoon at Moore Funeral Home for infant
Jan Dee, twin brother to Jack Lee, born to Mr. and Mrs. Jack Wardlaw, at a
local hospital Sunday, March 17th.  Burial was in Parkdale cemetery.
     Mrs. Wardlaw and Jack Lee have been removed to their Arlington home
where they are doing nicely.  Mr. Wardlaw is a teacher at Southside school.

Friday March 22
     Louis Hinkle and daughter, Edith, of Birmingham, Ala., were in
Arlington this week to attend the funeral services of Mr. Hinkle's father-in-
law, A. B. Gimmett, who died at his Fort Worth home Thursday, March 14th.

Friday March 22               JOHNSON STATION     Mrs. Tyler Short
     We extend sympathy to Mrs. M. D. Geiser in the loss of her brother, who
passed away last week at his home in San Antonio.  Mr. and Mrs. Geiser and
family attended the funeral, returning home Thursday.

Friday March 22          Early Pioneer Is Buried At Watson
     The passing of A. B. Grimmett at his Fort Worth home, 722 Drew, last
Thursday, March 14th, takes another early pioneer of Arlington, who for
fifty years claimed Tarrant county his home.  He operated a sizeable farm
near Arlington, before moving to Fort Worth twenty years ago.
     Friday afternoon services were held at South Fort Worth Baptist church
with Rev. Goldman Drury, officiating.  Burial was in the Watson cemetery, a
spot well known to Mr. Grimmett.  Pallbearers were grandsons, Leroy, Dudley,
Frank and Charles Grimmett, Hobert Cash, and Ovis Cullips.  Moore Funeral
Home was in charge of arrangements.
     Survivors are his wife, and four sons, Ott. C. Grimmett, Arlington; W.
R., Fort Worth; C. C., Handley; and R. L. Grimmett, Thermal, California, 20
grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren.
     Out of town relatives here for the funeral were Louis Hinkle, son-in-
law, and granddaughter, Miss Edith Hinkle, of Birmingham, Ala.

Return to Main Page - - Surname Search Utility - - - Marriage Search Engines