Obituaries in the Jan. 1, 2008, Tomahawk Leader include:
- Darry R. Mortenson, 45, Gleason, graduated from Tomahawk High School in 1980, had worked at Farmers Mill in Tomahawk until disabled, U.S. Army veteran (12-20-07).
- Donna M. Rogers, 66, Tomahawk, born in Milwaukee, formerly worked in housekeeping for Lincoln Industries (12-21-07; graveside services in spring).
- Barbara (Wottrich) Swanson, 77, Roseville, Minn., born in Milwaukee, had been a Tomahawk resident since 1960, music teacher for many years, organist for Grace Lutheran Church for 37 years (12-24-07).
Obituaries in the Jan. 8, 2008, Tomahawk Leader include:
- Nancy B. Bartz, 68, Tomahawk, born in Tomahawk, cook at former Fulsher School and Tomahawk School District (12-25-07).
- George Haring Sr., 87, Tomahawk, born in Tomahawk, professional painter for many years, U.S. Navy veteran (1-7-08; funeral 1-14-08, noon, St. Mary's Church, visitation begins at 10 a.m.).
- Caryl A. Callahan, 79, Tomahawk, born in Tomahawk, cook for many years at Riverview Terrace Nursing Home and Village Square Restaurant (1-6-08; funeral 11 a.m. Jan. 12, St. Paul Ev. Lutheran Church, visitation 4-8 p.m. Jan. 11 at Krueger & Sons Funeral Home, 10 a.m. Saturday at church).
- John Swanson, Superior, born in Phillips, moved to Ogema after high school graduation to help with grandparents' farm, later drove milk truck route in Ogema, moved to Tomahawk in 1951, worked for Bake Rite Baking Co., retiring in 1984 (1-3-08).
- Gloria J. Zeitelhack, married 39 years, lived in California, eventually settling on family homestead in Tomahawk, pursued art career with Many Moons Jewelry Gallery in Ruidoso (12-25-07).
- Lucille B. Murgas, 90, Tomahawk, born in Chicago, mink rancher in Tomahawk 30 years (1-4-08).
- Laurel J. Daigle, 51, formerly of Tomahawk, died in Gilbert, Ariz., born in Madison, moved to Tomahawk in 1977, she and Jack "Fuzz" Daigle lived in Eau Claire and Topeka, Kan., before moving to Arizona in 2004 (1-3-08; memorial services 1-10-08, Tempe, Ariz.; donations to Friends for Life Humane Society, 43 W. Vaughn Ave., Gilbert AZ 85233)
- Laurel Merlyn Armstrong, 84, Cornell, born in Iowa, managed Auto Stop gas and convenience store in Superior, retired to Tomahawk in 1987, moved to Cornell in 2006 (1-3-08).
- Judith "Judy" Morse, 61, Tomahawk, born in Illinois, worked for Arnold's Engineering, Marengo, Ill., 28 years, lived in Tomahawk past two years (12-29-07).
Obituaries in the Feb. 5, 2008, Tomahawk Leader include:
- Jacqueline Heiner, 73, Tomahawk, born in France, moved to New York after marriage, then California, India, and Tomahawk (1-26-08).
- Frances C. (Heller) Jones, 79, Neenah (1-28-08).
Obituaries in the Feb. 12, 2008, Tomahawk Leader include:
- Patricia A. Findler, 64, Tripoli, born in Milwaukee, she and husband, Bob, had owned Lake Ice Co. in Tomahawk many years and later Somo Fur Farm, also hosted 50-plus foster children (2-8-08; private family service).
- Thomas T. Konitzer Sr., 67, Tomahawk, born in Theinsville, employed at Theinsville Shoe Co. 11 years, later with Simplicity Manufacturing in Port Washington, moved to Tomahawk in 1980, purchased hobby farm and self-employed logger, owned Alamo Plaza Motel 15 years, retiring in 2003.)
- Margaret "Marge" Klemke, 82, Tomahawk, born in Illinois, employed as nurses' aide in a nursing home, started vacationing in Tomahawk in 1954, built home here in 1967, moved here permanently in 1975 (2-6-08).
- Harold E. Koth, 92, Tomahawk, born in Tomahawk, worked at Owens-Illinois age 16-retirement, U.S. Marine World War II veteran (2-5-08).
- Herbert D. Peak, 69, Irma, U.S. Army veteran, hematologist at Hinsdale Hospital (Ill.) 39 years, retiring in 2003, vacationed in Tomahawk 30 years, moved here permanently in 2003 (2-7-08; funeral 2-12-08 at Krueger & Sons Funeral Home; memorials to American Parkinson Disease Association or Radio 74 International.)
- Lorraine C. Hanrahan died one day after 85th birthday, born in Paynesville, Mich., moved to Gleason in 1951, farm wife, sold farm in 1973, worked in laundry at Pine Crest Nursing Home, Merrill, 1976 to retirement in 1987 (2-5-08).
- Julie E. Buck, 42, formerly of Tomahawk, died of pulmonary embolism, born in Tomahawk, 1984 THS graduate (2-3-08; graveside services in spring).
- Father Edward F. Beutner, 67, died in Concord, Calif., ordained in 1965, served as assistant pastor and pastor at parishes in Superior Diocese, taught at De LaSalle High School, Walnut Creek, Calif., published author (1-26-08; funeral was in California, memorial Mass 2-24-08, 4 p.m., St. Mary's Church, Tomahawk.)
- Lani Dallmann-Top, 65, formerly of Tomahawk, died at home in Australia, born in Milwaukee, graduated from Tomahawk High School, employed by Bechtel Engineering and IBM in California, had landscape gardening business, was a naturalist, telephone counsellor at women's crisis center, operated craft business (2-2-08; memorials to local hospice or environmental organization.)
- Richard "Dick" H. Schlinsog, 66, Minocqua, formerly of Marshfield, born in Neillsville, partner with K&S TV in Marshfield many years, moved to Arizona in 1988, returned to Minocqua in 2002 (2-2-08; memorials to Ascension Lutheran for the Organ Fund or Via de Cristo Scholarship Fund, c/o Grace Lutheran Church, 108 W. Somo Ave., Tomahawk, WI 54487.)
- Susan Lynn Nelson, 51, died in Minneapolis, 1974 graduate of Wausau West High School, worked at Keane, Inc., Shorewood, Minn., for 27 years, spent time on farm in Skanawan area and purchased portion in 1980 (1-30-08).
Obituaries in the March 4, 2008, Tomahawk Leader include:
- Dale A. Duranceau, 66, Tomahawk, born in Wausau, U.S. Army veteran of Vietnam War, past state commander of Disabled American Veterans, chef in younger years (2-26-08; family would appreciate memorials).
- James F. Lembezeder, 86, formerly of Tomahawk, born in Muskego, U.S. Army veteran of World War II, owned Jim's Tavern in Muskego for 15 years, later opened Lembezeder Oil Co. in Darlington, retiring in 1982, moved to Tomahawk in 1995 and then Onalaska in 2006. (2-27-08).
Obituaries in the March 11, 2008, Tomahawk Leader include:
- Vera A. vonSchrader, 69, Tomahawk, born in Milan, Wis., worked as social worker in Eau Claire and Wausau, moved to Tomahawk in 1976, worked at Sacred Heart Hospital many years and later in clerk's office for city of Tomahawk (3-7-08; funeral 11 a.m. 3-12-08, St. Mary's Catholic Church; memorials to Northwoods Serenity Alzheimer's Unit at Golden LivingCenter-Golden Age, Tomahawk).
- Barbara J. Wood, 81, Tomahawk, born in Ohio, formerly employed with Boy Scouts of America; Tomahawk area resident since 1994 (3-8-08; visitation 3-13-08, 3-7 p.m., Krueger & Sons Funeral Home, private graveside services).
- Gladys C. Ladwig, 88, St. Germain, formerly of Tomahawk, she and husband had owned Ladwig's Cottages on Lake Alice many years, also ran amusement machine route (3-4-08).
- Edward "Larry" Street, 70, West Allis, born in Tomahawk, worked as cook's helper and chef at restaurants and hotels until retirement (3-3-08 as result of hit-and-run accident).
- William C. Alford, 80, Indialantic, Fla., also Tomahawk and Kentucky, former owner of Alford's Locker Plant, Empress Chili and J.D. Lanes, sales representative for Kentucky Central Life (2-25-08; local memorials suggested to Treehaven).
- Stanley Ervin Frey, born in Milwaukee, 1948 graduate of Oconomowoc High School, U.S. Army veteran, mechanic and parts manager at several auto dealerships for more than 25 years, moved to Harshaw in 1978 (2-26-08; celebration of life 2-29-08, 10 a.m., Hildebrant-Russ Funeral Home, Rhinelander).
- Riley Lee Smith, infant daughter of Dennis Smith Jr. and Amanada Eades, Tomahawk (2-23-08).
Obituaries in the April 8, 2008, Tomahawk Leader include:
- Duard B. "Super" Callahan, 60, Town of Rock Falls, born in Merrill, previously employed at Merrill Manufacturing Corp. (4-3-08)
- Edward "Eddie" M. Nyberg, 41, Tomahawk, formerly of Madison and San Francisco, born in Wausau, paralegal in California (4-6-08; private service; memorials to Ministry Home Care Hospice Services, 1860 N. Stevens St., P.O. Box 716, Rhinelander, WI 54501)
- Eleanor M. Lauder, 69, Tomahawk, battled colon cancer, born in Little Traverse, Mich., she and husband, Jack, were self-employed 40 years with Marathon Carbonic Co. and 29 East Motors, Village of Weston, (4-5-08; funeral 11 a.m. 4-10-08, Grace Lutheran Church; visitation 4-9-08 5-7 p.m., Krueger & Sons Funeral Home and beginning at 10 a.m. day of funeral)
- Helen R. Mannisto, 88, died in Merrill, born in Phelps, had been a nursing assistant in Phelps, moved to Tomahawk, volunteered with Hospice and private nursing care (3-31-08)
- Kathryn "Katie" Spataro, 90, Tomahawk, born in Milwaukee, formerly employed with American Motors in Milwaukee 19 years, Tomahawk resident since September 2007 (3-30-08)
- Patrick R. Priebe, 61, Merrill, born in Merrill, worked as land records supervisor for Lincoln County, owned Spring Hill Evergreens, 1965 graduate of Merrill High School (4-7-08; funeral 1 p.m. 4-9-08 at Waid Funeral Home; visitation 10:30 until services)
- Lavina M. Kussrow, 93, Tomahawk, formerly of Holway in Taylor County, born in Janesville, farmed in Dorchester, owned tavern in town of Holway for 18 years (funeral 4-10-08, 11 a.m. Maurina-Schilling Funeral Home, Dorchester; visitation 9 a.m. until services)